Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Fantasy Football Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Besides the obvious prize in winning money leagues I think its the mini rivalrys you make with certain people in your leagues through out the season that really make it interesting!

I know in the couple of leagues im in theres always that one f"ck you always really want to beat each week, even if he happens to be a mate (or even more so!)

Its almost over now... its been emotional!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

It's hard work managing fantasy, with little reward sometimes, true grit and endurance, and the inevitable disappointment and post-mortem in the office on monday wondering where did it all go wrong, or the rejoicing on the other foot as the boys produced the goods. The careful dipping into the transfer market week in and week out of players that are must haves and the disposal of the undesirables who let you down and break your heart... the inevitable derbys between mates and colleagues and people on boards. The torture of the sub bench and the frustration when it has accrued more points than half your on-field playersThe Green arrows one week, or the red's the next. The Double Game weeks an which we plan with caution and tactical prowess, as if on the eve of some great battle, the meticolous general who watches on, as his soldiers do battle. The ups and downs of the Fantasy Football manager.

Love it. summed up the game nicely. just short of Ron Manager giving a 'jumpers for goalposts' spiel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I'm now 3 points + John Terry ahead of 2nd in the Buskers league. What a massive fail.

As much as I hate JT, I'm hoping he does the job later against 'Pool...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    People will inevitably float away from this board after this weekend, so just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and chat over the last few months

Wish we'd had this forum sooner!

Looking forward to a well earned break from FF this summer, then picking up the obsession again in late July

I still miss the old one stop shop of a single thread in Soccer where we belong. All these threads for every occasion and new ones each week loses some of the old debate we used to have. Whats worse is other sports interspersed between each topic.
    The rest of your sentiment I concur with completely though. I dont know how I'm going to fill the void in my life of no FF team to plan for. This will be even worse than the international breaks.

Can't say I'm too bothered, I miss the footie itself more than FF. And it's pretty easy to take your mind off sport when you live in Spain, the summers are a little less boring than back home :)

I'm not looking forward to next season though, can't see myself cracking the top 500 again. The Euro's FF will be a nice added bonus though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Would love to be back living in Spain! The Euros should be good craic over there! Was living there during the last world cup, Spaniards were going mental the whole time, great atmosphere!

Yeh its a toss up at the moment between actually going over to the Euros or staying here. I can get tickets etc pretty easily through work and would love to go to the games, but tbh I don't think I can be bothered with the travelling! I'm working in Vegas most of July at the WSOP so could do with a nice relaxing June in the run up to it, and I really think watching the Ireland v Spain game over here will be incredible. Hopefully the scoreline isn't too embarrassing! Here's hoping for a 2-2 draw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I still miss the old one stop shop of a single thread in Soccer where we belong. All these threads for every occasion and new ones each week loses some of the old debate we used to have. Whats worse is other sports interspersed between each topic.
    The rest of your sentiment I concur with completely though. I dont know how I'm going to fill the void in my life of no FF team to plan for. This will be even worse than the international breaks.

I never have that problem, even when there aren't tournaments. I prefer the Summer without soccer, my preference would be GAA.

I know a few users who have left because the single topic that's easy to follow is gone alright. That said, I didn't like it at first but I've grown accustomed to the new Board now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I have to say thanks to everyone for their good and bad advice over the year. It's great to come on here with a transfer in your mind and have someone tell you that it's a great/terrible idea. Ba and Cissé are two examples that I can think of.

I'm not really going to miss it over the summer. My head has been wrecked lately with it all. I've eased off lately due to a few bad weeks. About 6 weeks ago I was reading everything I could about players and thought I could break into the top 1k in the world but bad breaks with injuries and strange results put an end to that.

Still though I'm going for my best finish yet by a long way. I've had most of my leagues tied up for weeks now and I've been leading our club league since December. No money for it unfortunately but I'm hoping I'll get a mention at our dinner dance :P.

I won't be anywhere near as active next year because I'm starting a postgrad over in Wales. Well I hope I won't be. If I am on this the whole time I'll just fail. It was good fun to try and get as far up in the standings as I did. The standard is so high. I don't think I could have done any more really. Fair play to Carlcon and Dazzler and anyone else who is above me in the rankings.

Might see a few of ye in the Euro 2012 thread. If not best of luck next year.

Live long and prosper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I have to say thanks to everyone for their good and bad advice over the year. It's great to come on here with a transfer in your mind and have someone tell you that it's a great/terrible idea. Ba and Cissé are two examples that I can think of.

I'm not really going to miss it over the summer. My head has been wrecked lately with it all. I've eased off lately due to a few bad weeks. About 6 weeks ago I was reading everything I could about players and thought I could break into the top 1k in the world but bad breaks with injuries and strange results put an end to that.

Still though I'm going for my best finish yet by a long way. I've had most of my leagues tied up for weeks now and I've been leading our club league since December. No money for it unfortunately but I'm hoping I'll get a mention at our dinner dance :P.

I won't be anywhere near as active next year because I'm starting a postgrad over in Wales. Well I hope I won't be. If I am on this the whole time I'll just fail. It was good fun to try and get as far up in the standings as I did. The standard is so high. I don't think I could have done any more really. Fair play to Carlcon and Dazzler and anyone else who is above me in the rankings.

Might see a few of ye in the Euro 2012 thread. If not best of luck next year.

Live long and prosper.

Fair play jimmy ! Good luck with the new job too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

This thread has turned into the end of the Breakfast Club. :D

I also won't be around much next season, and will be trying to keep busy elsewhere over the summer, so good luck to all of you, and nice playing!

tumblr_lzxrd2yMWo1qcxtu9o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Heading to Barcelona myself for a week tomorrow so I'll miss out on all the madness of next Sunday. I might try and sneak in a trip to see Espanyol play Sevilla on Saturday night just to make up for it though (Don't tell the wife). Enjoy the summer folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

THERE'S FAR TOO MANY THREADS IN THE FORUM!!!!

THE PLACE IS A MESS!!!!

RABBLE! RABBLE! RABBLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

roryc wrote: »
    Yeh its a toss up at the moment between actually going over to the Euros or staying here. I can get tickets etc pretty easily through work and would love to go to the games, but tbh I don't think I can be bothered with the travelling! I'm working in Vegas most of July at the WSOP so could do with a nice relaxing June in the run up to it, and I really think watching the Ireland v Spain game over here will be incredible. Hopefully the scoreline isn't too embarrassing! Here's hoping for a 2-2 draw ;)
    dealing? How did you sort that? Hourly rate & perks if you dont mind me asking?

Lemlin wrote: »
    I never have that problem, even when there aren't tournaments. I prefer the Summer without soccer, my preference would be GAA.

I know a few users who have left because the single topic that's easy to follow is gone alright. That said, I didn't like it at first but I've grown accustomed to the new Board now.
    i definately used it a lot less when it switched from the single thread. Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

My turn for the teary eyed goodbye. Mini Leagues wrapped up a few weeks ago. Just one H2H league left, €50 for runner up, €100 for the winner. That'll take me to either €750 or €800 for the season. Should get me about $1,000 AUD. Going to New Zealand for 9 days in July so that'll pay for the trip, yay!

This will be my highest scoring FPL year (but not my highest rank). Thanks for all the help during the season guys. A lot of the time I realised what I should do before even getting a reply. I think it helps just to write down your plans and realise how stupid some of them are! Unlike some of you, I will definitely be back in August. The EPL is just not the same unless you're obsessing over whether or not Ben Arfa's stud grazed the ball for an assist or why Tiawo got those 3 bonus points. It gives meaning to games like Stoke vs Bolton or Wolves vs Fulham where normally I couldn't care less.

Good luck to anyone playing the Fantasy Euro game. I was stuck doing my Junior Cert last time Ireland made a major tournament so I'm going to enjoy the matches in peace this time round (albeit at 4:45am kick off times :().

P.S. It's difficult to trace it back but I'm pretty sure I started the whole Drenthe man crush thing earlier in the season so apologies to anyone who took my "advice" :o

Good luck lads. Good group of people. Take it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Live long and prosper.

I would have finished my phd years ago were it not for fantasy football :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

thunderdog wrote: »
    I would have finished my phd years ago were it not for fantasy football :rolleyes:

Ha I can't afford to invest any time in it really. I'll be in 9-6 every day for 4 months. Then for another 4 I'll be in schools from 9-6 with probably an hour commute each way and then another 4 hours of lesson plans on top of that in the night. And I'll have to write up my thesis during all of that as well. Such a delightful time I have ahead of me :D. I'll be lucky to have time to eat never mind check FISO for price rises.

If I can train myself to get up early enough on Saturday mornings I might be able to copy some of the advice on here. I'll miss all the price rises though. My team will be worth about 101 million for the season I'd say :P.

I was tied up with things until Christmas and was doing averagely enough. Since then though I've been free the whole time and I've jumped way up the rankings. It's amazing what a lot of free time can do for your score. It's about the only advantage of being unemployed.

shangri la wrote: »
    dealing? How did you sort that? Hourly rate & perks if you dont mind me asking?

Haha not dealing mate. I'll be over there with all of our players that qualified for the World Series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I just saw that the Boards league is tied. What an ending!

It's my first year doing this, thanks to a science fiction website I visit quite a lot. Thanks to everyone here, I'm 170 points ahead on that site (and 40th in boards), so reasonably confident going into the last game. The others must think I'm a genius, but it's really because of here and all the ideas floating about; no bandwagon went unnoticed and I always knew who currently held the Stoke keeper's spot.

All that and only a minimum of bitching!

So, on to the Euros and next year.

I just saw that the Boards league is tied. What an ending!

One of my workmates noticed how much I've thrown away the Buskers league and decided to make a graph of it. W**nker :(

2073lgh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

roryc wrote: »
    Haha not dealing mate. I'll be over there with all of our players that qualified for the World Series.

NICE!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Well, I'm down to sixth in the Boards league after the dizzying heights of joint 3rd at the weekend. I'm 125th in FF scout, 6th in Boards, 2nd in BPF and 17th in the Last Word Listeners. Then I'm first in five personal leagues. Three are for cash. 2 personal glory!

Work league has 25 people in it and I'm 177 points ahead. It's €30 a head with €500 for winner, €200 for runner up and €50 for third.
    My own personal league with friends has 27 people in it and we've stuck in €50 a head so that's €1350 and its winner takes all. I'm 140 points ahead in that.
    Then another league I'm in (friend of a friend) has 50 people in it at €20 a head and I'm 58 points ahead in that. I'm told I'll get €600 if I win that.

So I'm looking at being up €2450 all thanks to FF!

Many thanks to the people here. I'm not sure if I have a blocker in my head or what but there's certain players I just never fancy to do it consistently in FF. Pienaar was one. Dempsey and Walcott two others but, from listening to people on the thread here, I think I've expanded my horizon a bit. Pienaar, Dempsey and Walcott all found their way into my team, as well as others I would imagine I can't remember, whereas I know in other seasons, no matter how well they were doing, I just wouldn't have transferred them in. I hope I've helped a few on here too over the course of the year.

The main bit of advice I think I'd give is don't think about your moves too much. If you spend all week worrying about who to transfer in, you'll invariably have 2 or 3 transfer targets going around in your head, and you'll end up transferring in one, only for the other to score a hat trick and you end up beating yourself up over making the wrong decision! This week for example, I'll log on this evening, check the FF scout team, check the team news and do my transfer. I'll spend all of a half hour on it and I'm only doing it this evening and not tomorrow evening because I'm away in Manchester for a few days from tomorrow. Like this week, a few people had a GW38 thread setup and were worrying about transfers before GW37 was even over, god help them because I'd say they had some week and if their transfer is the wrong one out of the few they have in their head they'll know it for the next week.

I keep wanting to take a year out and thinking I won't be back next year but I've a mate who annoys the head off me if he gets even a marginally better score (even on a weekend where I could be 100 points ahead of him overall) and he constantly keeps me going because I can't listen to him! So this is my goodbye and thanks for the season. I'm off to Manchester to enjoy the celebrations as a neutral - although I will be buying a City jersey and wearing it with pride if my friends who are United supporters don't stop slagging me about Blackburn being relegated!!

And remember folks, as I told one user more than a few times this season, it's a race, not a sprint :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

Anyone know if there will be a good fantasy Euro 2012 to do?

Rastapitts wrote: »
    Anyone know if there will be a good fantasy Euro 2012 to do?

Look at the stickied post in this very forum. Right up the top.

Right then. Team set up. Dempsey out, Silva in - hardly a bold move. Officially done for the season now. Staying away from this site for a few days, since it'll be pretty damn frustrating if I end up losing our league having been on top all season, so I'd rather not look and just enjoy the weekend.

G'luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

carlcon wrote: »
    This thread has turned into the end of the Breakfast Club. :D

I also won't be around much next season, and will be trying to keep busy elsewhere over the summer, so good luck to all of you, and nice playing!

tumblr_lzxrd2yMWo1qcxtu9o1_500.jpg

I want to watch the breakfast club now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Big thanks to everyone here!

My 5th season playing but my first season of taking it seriously!

I'm already passed my best score ever and need just 25 points to get over 1900 for the season for the first time.

I won a few private leagues but well short in my big money league.

I'll be back in August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I'll be seeing everyone again next year I'd say! I don't think the leaving merits not playing FPL again :D Hopefully I can improve next year and hopefully win a bita cash. I won 300 this year but I won't get any of it because the lads I'm in a paid league with definitely won't pay up. How bad sure. I still won. (I'm 26 points ahead, I really shouldn't be saying I've won already :pac: ).

I'm hoping I can break 50,000 this season, I'm currently in the 56,000 region. This is my first time playing this game so I'm delighted with my score. Most of the thanks for my score goes to this forum. So thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement