Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Constructive Comments and Reviews Required

Options
  • 17-01-2010 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi all,

I posted this in the Business Forum and somebody suggested that I should also post it here.

I would like to get some feedback on this new website that we have launched. The aim of the website is to bring consumers quality products at reasonable prices. We feel that if people take on the task of project managing their kitchen or bedroom makeover then they can save themselves a small fortune. The website has lots of products and helpful information, and although not fully complete we would like feedback from people to know if this is the kind of site that they would make use of if it meant making savings on their projects. We would hope to be adding a Design Your Kitchen module soon so that consumers can layout and design their own kitchen space and get a printout of what all the products will cost them. See our Service Providers Section also we feel this will be of great help to people who wish to project manage their own job. And then we have a recycle your old appliances section where people can sell their old second hand appliances that are working (better than sending them to landfill) and you get a few bob towards the new ones. As I said we are constantly working on the site to get it to its final goal but your feedback would be greatly appreciated. The website url is http://www.kitchenfitters.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I like it, I've only looked at the homepage and I can't really fault it. If I was to make any comment I'd say your logo is quite amateurish, I'd have the side menu collapsable and the sub-menus hidden by default and the bright blue buttons on the side are a bit garish, but other than those minor issues it's a nice, professional looking site. Best of luck!

Ps. The comment about the menu is purely a personal preference, plenty would argue to leave it as it is, I just think as it is the number of links could overwhelm new visitors.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

We detected that your JavaScript seem to be disabled.
    You must have JavaScript enabled in your browser to utilize the functionality of this website.

translates to:-
    We spent a lot of time/money on fancy javascript effects but we forgot to make sure the site works without it so people who use software that has no script capabilities can also buy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭waynewex

I like the site. Looks nice and your designer obviously did a very good job. The only thing that I don't like is how cluttered it seems in the right column. I just feel as if there is too much stuff there and not enough space. Then again, that's a personal opinion so you shouldn't take it as gospel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Good job.

Fix the FAQ link in nav bar.

Fix layout on about us page.

Put a copy of the feedback form and email address in contact us page.

Some of the sections have no products e.g Wardrobe doors > Amanda Collection and Megan Collection.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

mewso wrote: »
    translates to:-

Do you actually browse with JS off?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

p wrote: »
    Do you actually browse with JS off?

Sometimes. Script intensive sites, google analytics/ads etc. all slow things down and turning it off can make a huge difference. In most cases though if someone asks me to look at their site one of the things I do is turn off all script using the FF Developer Toolbar to see if it still works. My preference when it comes to script is unobtrusive script. It's the most elegant way to script a site imo. but it is a matter of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gracy

The site is graphically fairly consistent with a fairly easy navigation ability.What kind of money are u talking about to design it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm actually looking to get a new kitchen fitted, so this is of interest to me!

First of all - I am not going to pay upfront for a new kitchen on an online store. I would expect that from each product page there would be a link to an enquiry page to arrange an appointment or something. Maybe people buying the DIY units might check out online on the spot, but I think you might have a lot of people who want to enquire online and take it from there.

Your FAQ page isn't working, so this might address my next question. Why do you have information about choosing a tradesman to fit the kitchen, when this is the service that you seem to be offering? Do you not provide an end-to-end service?

How does the pricing work? Are there an initial amount of units that come with a kitchen, and I would be charged more depending on the requirements? If so, should those prices be "Starting at €1,999"?

The text on the about page is squashed.

I think you're using an eCommerce site to act as a catalog. The two are often similar, but not always interchangeable. I think in this case, people will be using your site as a channel to talk to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

Gracy, I will send you a PM with the answer to that question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gracy

o.k
    ill do the same.Its good to have an idea what others are paying.I will prob put up a demo site in a few weeks for u guys to comment on.If u want any more detailed feedback on ur site let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

kitchenfitters.ie have just finished a complete overhaul of our kitchen. i would have no hesitation in advising boards members to get these guys in to do work.from start to finish they were totally professional .started on time and finished on time all at the price we agreed at the start of job. any of you guys want to view the work they done can pm there email and ill send pics .you can also ring me if you like .
    really good irish company that puts customers before profit.very impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

The header image looks stretched and the logo look pretty amateur .
    Perhaps make the right hand menu, dark blue as well, with slightly bigger font, in white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Just on the homepage, I really don't like the "Fitted Kitchens - The (?whatever?) Kitchen"... it's repetitive, redundant and makes consuming the list more of a chore than it needs to be.
    If I'm looking at this list, then I'm comparing the kitchens.
    What'd make more sense (for humans at least) is to retitle that section from 'Kitchens' to 'Fitted Kitchens' and use only the unique text as the description for each item (eg. Carlos, Corona).
    It'd save you from having the text wrap onto two lines as well.

The banners on the bottom-right are loud and confusing... it's hard to tell where one stops and another begins... or even how many of them there are.

The image-zooming/panning stuff is a nice feature, but with such low res images, it's disappointing and pointless.

Also this image needs to be killed with fire -> linky, every line is screaming for attention at the same time, which isn't necessary, I'm here, I'm reading it, you have my attention already, all you have to do is make it digestible... as it is, I can't even read it because my eyes are darting around having a seizure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

Thanks for that Donkey Style. Maybe on Tuesday you could have a look at our temporary home page and let us have your comments. Also thanks to all others who have commented.
    Just on the homepage, I really don't like the "Fitted Kitchens - The (?whatever?) Kitchen"... it's repetitive, redundant and makes consuming the list more of a chore than it needs to be.
    If I'm looking at this list, then I'm comparing the kitchens.
    What'd make more sense (for humans at least) is to retitle that section from 'Kitchens' to 'Fitted Kitchens' and use only the unique text as the description for each item (eg. Carlos, Corona).
    It'd save you from having the text wrap onto two lines as well.

The banners on the bottom-right are loud and confusing... it's hard to tell where one stops and another begins... or even how many of them there are.

The image-zooming/panning stuff is a nice feature, but with such low res images, it's disappointing and pointless.

Also this image needs to be killed with fire -> linky, every line is screaming for attention at the same time, which isn't necessary, I'm here, I'm reading it, you have my attention already, all you have to do is make it digestible... as it is, I can't even read it because my eyes are darting around having a seizure.

Advertisement