Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes Blood Sugar Levels

• 09-05-2007 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all, this is my first post to this or any other forum so I hope I am posting in the right place.
    I have recently being diagnosed with type 2, not quite four weeks, and I am suffering from information overload that is causing me terrible frustration and confusion. Why might you ask am I seeking more information then! Well, reading through these forums it has presented me with the comments of "real" people instead of booklets, websites, seemingly impossibly dietary restrictions, hypos and hypers and many other terms that were like a foreign language only a few short weeks ago.
    I have two requests... can anyone tell me what they consider good or bad blood sugar levels.... I average about 8 with lows in the high 6's and highs of just over 10 occasionally. I am not on medication. Any comments welcome.
    My second request is that I would welcome contact from anyone with diabetes who would like to correspond or IM.
    Many Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hi you'll find we're all type 1 here (as far as I know) but the readings you post are not bad. The long-term levels should be around 6-7 mark so you don't need to do much tweaking. I'm interested that you are'nt popping any pills, they must think you are at the benign end of the condition.

How old are you (if thats not too rude) and are you on the well-built side (if thats not too rude!)?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Freudian

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for your reply. I am 50, male, 11st , avarage build. I am not on any pills just yet and just getting used to testing blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hey Freudian -

Welcome to the club! I'm type one myself as well, but your blood sugars are what I'm aiming for! I think 8 is pretty good as an average, my doc's general advice is to aim to be under 10 as much as possible, but you'll find different people get different advice - not hugely different tho. Don't worry about the information overload, we've all been there, it becomes very mundane very quickly :)

Tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

mike65 wrote:
    Hi you'll find we're all type 1 here

Mike.

*cough*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If your getting numbers between 6 and 10 then that sounds about right, and is a better range than I manage to stay within and I've been doing this for years.
    SeaSide wrote:
    *cough*
    Someone always has to try and be different. ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks all,,, guess I shouldn't complain so!
    But its a hell of a shock to be diagnosed and learn just how serious a condition it really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

True but they do that deliberatly - "stuff will fall off, you WILL go blind" etc.
    Just keep the numbers sensible, stay off the booze/fags and you'll be fine.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I was diagnosed at 21, and my mam just assumed I was impotent, until we had an excruciatingly awkward conversation about 5 years later!

Hi Freudian,

I'm in much the same boat as yourself with diet controlled type 2 and I'm approaching the 4th anniversary of diagnosis. I would say that your numbers are good for a beginner ;-) but you will over time learn to get them down. I would assume that if your not on tablets your 1aC is ok.

I have learned what will impact on my BS level during the day and alot depends on the physical activity that I manage during the day and this can be as little as wandering around the office. Obviously a big feed impacts. And finally for me even if I am up a 4 or 5 pounds on the weighing scale my levels will be up.

I don't know whether you will have seen a consultant yet (took me a year) or a dietician (took me 6 months) but the nurses will have given you a good overview including a weight target based on your height.

Holy God! You dont mean I might have to start walking around the office!!

• Advertisement

Freudian wrote:
    Holy God! You dont mean I might have to start walking around the office!!

This was clearly stated in the terms and conditions when you signed up.

Just one more question...I bought a relatively cheap glometer (freestyle mini) and was wondering how reliable and accurate these things are? Should I be looking or something better?
    Ok, I know thats two questions.

or glucomoter even!:)

Dam! GLUCOMETER! :) I really will have to download that spell checker

That should have been free.

It will be accurate enough as you are looking for trends rather than absolutes.

Hint 1:There is an edit button so you dont have to repost typos ;)
    Hint 2:Its Damn (Dam is what the Dutch boy stuck his finger in)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry to join in late!

I was diagnosed in July. I am still trying to find out what normal blood levels are , with medication.
    I can normally keep it less than 10- Thats my goal but I cant get a straight answer from the doc.

Once you mind the diet and keep the sugar low- Is that it? I have heard some go to dietician, get feet checked etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

hey - not a diabetic but a doctor interested in it!

You will soon be obsessed with that glucometer and tracking every variation which is GOOD!

Your diabetic nurse is your friend and don't be afraid to get to know her.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Bethany

Yes ,they will try to frighten you because if you don't take it seriously it can be very serious. On a happier note you don't sound as if you have any weight problems and with a healthy diet and exercise you should be able to get that blood sugar down to below six. Firstly get so used to the glucometer that it becomes automatic and maybe keep a diary of your blood sugar levels, food and exercise. Follow all the diabetic nurses advice , don't lose heart if it takes time and remember some people ,even people who are not overweight, will end up having to take tablets even with doing everything right. If that happens and you have been scrupulous about diet etc, then the important thing will be that you take the tablets as prescribed and that the blood sugar keeps down.
    The most important thing is that you are diagnosed and not walking about in ignorance; its the people who don't know they're diabetic or know and ignore it , that are the ones most at risk of complications. Best of luck

Advertisement