Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transferring from a club havent played for for years..

Options
  • 01-08-2011 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hey,

moving from Galway to Dublin to do a masters in Sept.

1.Don't want to play for home club for many reasons (I moved there from UK so not actually my 'home' club.

2.Haven't ever played hurling before, played football for them last when i was 15 (now 23)

3.Played a challenge match for a team not far away that was stuck for a player lately and enjoyed the experience and would like to possibly join a club in Dublin 9 area at a low level.

4. I know you cant switch clubs for college, but I will be living in Dublin permanently after college but not at the address I will be in for college.

Any advice? Loopholes to use if I find a club?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

Reality is if you're moving to Dublin and don't play to a fairly high standard they'll let you move no problem.

Just have to wait for transfer season which is around the end of the calendar year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

johnb03 wrote: »
    Reality is if you're moving to Dublin and don't play to a fairly high standard they'll let you move no problem.

Just have to wait for transfer season which is around the end of the calendar year.

is it up to my local club or admin people? despite me having never hurled for them? I'd say there's actually two clubs the same distance from me..

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

This is the same OP who spent the last few weeks trolling in the Waterford thread about how Galway were going to beat Waterford out the gate and got banned for abusing Waterford players and fans in the run up to the game. Went on like he was some sort of hurling expert and a tactical genius.

Funnily enough it turns out he has never picked up a hurl in his life and isn't even from Galway. The sh1te being spouted on that thread from the OP gave Galway a bad name, I'm glad he's not a true hurling person, although not at all surprised!!!!

My faith in REAL Galway fans has been restored after that minor blip!

Anyway some more positive response please would be greatly appreciated

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

If you've not played at senior or U21 level for a club, am I right in saying that you don't need a transfer to play at that level for another club?

• Advertisement

daddydick wrote: »
    This is the same OP who spent the last few weeks trolling in the Waterford thread about how Galway were going to beat Waterford out the gate and got banned for abusing Waterford players and fans in the run up to the game. Went on like he was some sort of hurling expert and a tactical genius.

Funnily enough it turns out he has never picked up a hurl in his life and isn't even from Galway. The sh1te being spouted on that thread from the OP gave Galway a bad name, I'm glad he's not a true hurling person, although not at all surprised!!!!

My faith in REAL Galway fans has been restored after that minor blip!

I am from Galway and please take your business elsewhere if you have nothing better to do with your life than troll. I got banned. Its over for everyone else, Except you.

wixfjord wrote: »
    If you've not played at senior or U21 level for a club, am I right in saying that you don't need a transfer to play at that level for another club?

Thanks for the response. Is there anything simple on the gaa website to expalin i wonder. All I found before was the transfer form itself..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

If it's junior or something, I doubt anyone will make a fuss about transfers etc.

I could be wrong, but something tells me they won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

you have to transfer. your new club will fill in the interprovincial transfer form - then it goes to your old club and voila.

However they can also search the current membership system - if you are not on it then as far as I know you can simply register. your new club secretary should be able to make the necessary enquiries.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Once its over 5 years I think you are ok, same thing happened to me, though it was 8 years and not 5.

Best just ask the club you are joining but I can't see it been an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

once you haven't played for 96 weeks, you can move to whatever club you want afaik- bear in mind the GAA calender is 48 weeks for some reason.

Since you will be living there as well - there shouldn't be a problem as per page 67

http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/Official_Guide_2010_Part1.pdf

once you haven't played for 96 weeks, you can move to whatever club you want afaik- bear in mind the GAA calender is 48 weeks for some reason.

Since you will be living there as well - there shouldn't be a problem as per page 67

http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/Official_Guide_2010_Part1.pdf

that's class. now to look for the worst junior c team near dcu!!

Advertisement