Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone import chinese carbon bike lately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Would be great to get the facts on what frame that is on stickybottle. Catastrophic failure vs. Crack? Looks worse than a simple crack but hard to tell.

Unpainted with a bottom mounted rear brake.

Point of note...most of the busted carbon on bustedcarbon.com involves crashes or roofrack/barrier incidents.

There's a report knocking about of tests of a real vs. fake willier in terms of stiffness and strength...although commissioned by willier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

at least one carbon frame that's not made in china, but still isn't immune to knock offs, which probably are

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/look-highlights-counterfeit-695-frames-43273/

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Just had a Deng Fu FM 069 TT bike delivered today. Bought it 2nd hand in the UK so can't advise on importing etc. Quality in the main seems very good, some finishing detail are a little raw, but generally very happy with it. Once i get it built up I can report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

HongFu FM069

Here's a few photos of my build,not finished yet, still have to do cables and levers and then tune the gears.

Everything fits perfect, the build quality is excellent for the price of it, see close ups of headset,derailleur mounts and HongFu Carbon Bars.
    Well chuffed with it. I would have had to spend over 3K to get something with similar spec, inc the wheels. :)

2nb7k1l.jpg

2cnfuon.jpg

23hvg45.jpg

andafl.jpg

m79ipu.jpg

30as36v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Ordered the Dengfu FM086 TT frame back on the 8th of December. Ordered the Matt black finish with a gloss logo (Surname). Also ordered a spare Carbon Seat post / spare rear drop out / TT Bars / TRP brakes (Front and Rear). Due to the finish and the logo it took a few weeks before it was ready to be shipped.

Came via EMS and arrived in Portlaoise (Customs) on the 15th of January.

Customs put the package on hold until I provided them with the Invoice. Box was never open but I provided them with the original invoice from Dengfu. Once I filled out the required form from the Revenue as the value was over €650 the package was released and I received it on the following Tuesday.

The frame and Handlebars are great, the finish is spot on and after my Bike Mechanic looked it over he agreed that the quality was super. I am currently on a Giant Propel Advanced SL and the finish on the Dengfu looks better.

Now I need to try and squeeze the Wheels / Ultegra Di2 past the wife without her noticing.

Will post a few pics of the frame later. No great pics at hand at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I got hit with mine 2 weeks ago.
    Sent them a screenshot of my PayPal and got hit for €130.
    Since it was a custom one off paint I just about swallowed it.
    Turns out they never even opened the box.

bcmf wrote: »
    I got hit with mine 2 weeks ago.
    Sent them a screenshot of my PayPal and got hit for €130.
    Since it was a custom one off paint I just about swallowed it.
    Turns out they never even opened the box.

I got hit for €350.04.

Had factored that in as I knew Customs would most likely hold and open the package.

In the end I ended up saving a good bit of money by buying from Dengfu. The handlebars alone in Ireland would have set me back a nice piece of change.

The box was never opened either in my case.

Wackoy2k wrote: »
    Ordered the Dengfu FM086 TT frame back on the 8th of December. Ordered the Matt black finish with a gloss logo (Surname). Also ordered a spare Carbon Seat post / spare rear drop out / TT Bars / TRP brakes (Front and Rear). Due to the finish and the logo it took a few weeks before it was ready to be shipped.

Came via EMS and arrived in Portlaoise (Customs) on the 15th of January.

Customs put the package on hold until I provided them with the Invoice. Box was never open but I provided them with the original invoice from Dengfu. Once I filled out the required form from the Revenue as the value was over €650 the package was released and I received it on the following Tuesday.

The frame and Handlebars are great, the finish is spot on and after my Bike Mechanic looked it over he agreed that the quality was super. I am currently on a Giant Propel Advanced SL and the finish on the Dengfu looks better.

Now I need to try and squeeze the Wheels / Ultegra Di2 past the wife without her noticing.

Will post a few pics of the frame later. No great pics at hand at the moment.

Looks great. I also tought that the quality of some of the chinese generic bikes looks better then some of the entry brand names that cost 1000"s more.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

This months copy of Velo Magazine has an interesting article on 'counterfeit' frames (and helmets) that wont inspire confidence in Chinese/Asian knock-offs. Notwithstanding the fact that the print media rely on manufacturers and distributors for advertising income, I'll leave it to you all to make up your own conclusions on the independent testing that they commissioned on the frames. Velo is available online at issuu.com, and I think is copyright sorted, but just in case, I'll not upload the full article here, but a taster of their conclusions is linked below. The main trust of the articles reiterates the point that 'you-simply-dont-know-what-lies-below-the paint' argument......

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ot08mdR0v7TFF3ZUFveWg4eDQ/view?usp=sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Bennybeau

How has it been on the road?
    Total confidence in it.
    It looks great?
    How much do you reckon did it set you back tax etc all in?

I was thinking of getting the frame but using parcel motel to avoid tax.
    Would that be advisable?

• Advertisement

Finally got around to getting the bike built.

Used in in the Kilrush "Up the Creek", big mistake as I never used a TT bike on a hilly course before and there is some difference.

Paid the following:

Frame - €1295 which included Bars / seat post and additional seat post and custom paint job + Customs in IRL of €354 so in total the frame came to €1649 approx.

After adding in the rest of the components I had to buy the bike came in at approx. €4500. Had to put the Di 2 on it as I have the Di 2 on the road bike.

The guy that put the bike together for me was impressed with the frame quality and as he has seen the "Chinnerello" frames before which he said were terrible quality and warned people against them.

I wasn't loving the bike at the start but after a proper fitting and a few rides I am starting to love the bloody thing.

Didn't use it in the Hell of the West last weekend but that was down to the wind and I was not comfortable using it in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Have yet to hear anything bad about Hong Fu or Deng Fu frames they seem to be worlds away from the cheap and nasty replicas.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Have yet to hear anything bad about Hong Fu or Deng Fu frames they seem to be worlds away from the cheap and nasty replicas.

It seems that Planet X are selling the DengFu FM066SL frame as their RT 90 .
    Very expensive compared to dealiing direct with DengFu.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXRT90/planet-x-rt-90-carbon-road-frameset

Rua_ri wrote: »
    It seems that Planet X are selling the DengFu FM066SL frame as their RT 90 .
    Very expensive compared to dealiing direct with DengFu.

I found it pretty easy and straight forward to deal with Dengfu. Used PayPal and they updated me a number of times as when you put a design on the frame it will take a little longer.

I'm looking to build something for the hills with either 11 speed ultegra or 105, Any recommendations?

My Chinese carbon bike has been great so far, can't knock it one bit. Its a pleasure to ride, it's sharp, great climber, it does have a small bit of flex, but thats normal for carbon. I nearly prefer it over my Pinarello at this stage.

So far I have done a good few Km's on it, and it performed well, money well spend and it was cheap for the spec I have on it.

Have a look at the thread below about chinese bikes and reviews, you might get a few ideas and other people's experience worldwide.

Ps: Start from the last page, as it is a quite long thread and you will get updates mostly on newer models.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113717&start=1185

Xpro wrote: »
    My Chinese carbon bike has been great so far, can't knock it one bit. Its a pleasure to ride, it's sharp, great climber, it does have a small bit of flex, but thats normal for carbon. I nearly prefer it over my Pinarello at this stage.

So far I have done a good few Km's on it, and it performed well, money well spend and it was cheap for the spec I have on it.

Have a look at the thread below about chinese bikes and reviews, you might get a few ideas and other people's experience worldwide.

Ps: Start from the last page, as it is a quite long thread and you will get updates mostly on newer models.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113717&start=1185

Which model did you go for?
    Is the FM 069 just an updated version of the FM 066?

Bennybeau wrote: »
    Which model did you go for?
    Is the FM 069 just an updated version of the FM 066?

I went for FM069, stronger carbon t1000 and different design. Fm066 was more of a replica bike that was sold by various bike shops in china, while fm069 is unique to Hongfu

Xpro wrote: »
    I went for FM069, stronger carbon t1000 and different design. Fm066 was more of a replica bike that was sold by various bike shops in china, while fm069 is unique to Hongfu

Have thought long and hard and will look at purchasing the fm069 sometime before Xmas.
    I figure with all the extra postage that the frame may slip through the net and not alert customs. Would you mind pm me with regard to the cost of your build. I was thinking of doing a similar build with either Ultegra or the new 105.
    Cheers Xpro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I think you should forget about dodging the import taxes. Save the money and accept that you will have to pay them. If you don't you're going to be disgusted with the bill when you get it. On the offhand chance the bike gets through then you've the price of some other nice things saved.

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I think you should forget about dodging the import taxes. Save the money and accept that you will have to pay them. If you don't you're going to be disgusted with the bill when you get it. On the offhand chance the bike gets through then you've the price of some other nice things saved.

True enough. I will have it set aside but hope that with how busy it will be in the weeks leading up to Christmas that it might get overlooked.

I finally mustered up the courage to email Hong fu. This was the reply I got.

Dear Mr. XXXX
    thanks for your kind message.
    this is Cherry from hongfu company.
    the price:
    FM069+FK069+SP069:$630
    the headset:$15
    ship cost:$85(to Ireland)
    4.5% for paypal charge:$32.85
    the total price:$762.85
    my paypal account: ayi998@126.com
    i suggest you 53cm, here attached the geometry for you.
    any further question, please also feel free to contact me.
    Looking forward to your kind reply.
    thanks!
    have a nice day!
    Best regards!
    Cherry

Any comment or advice welcomed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

And Irish customs will charge you 25% or thereabouts on the total price.It won't slip through,the govt needs every penny it can get its mitts on!!

Cheers easygoing,

I nearly have enough now for the frame forks and bars.

I emailed them asking bout their own carbon stem and it will cost an extra 60$ which is less than any other full carbon stem which I have looked at, so I might add it to the basket.

Any suggestions on wheels?

Hong fu make the UAM wheel themselves but if anyone can give me advise on branded wheels with decent value for money I would be grateful.

Regards,
    Bennybeau

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

How did you get on with the order? Did you place it in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

sorry for reviving an old thread but im debating a velobuild frame and wheelset for the craic :D whats the max tax bill you could face? id like to have that prepared just in case .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

sorry for reviving an old thread but im debating a velobuild frame and wheelset for the craic :D whats the max tax bill you could face? id like to have that prepared just in case .

You're potentially looking at about 37% added onto the price + shipping.

Excise duty is added on first and that's on price paid + shipping. Then the vat of 23% is added onto that. Then their's a handling fee often enough from the courier/an post.

There might be anti-dumping duty too.

You might be okay, you might be better off buying within the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

My original plan was a cheap cube frame from bike discount but I've been thinking of trying a Chinese frame for a while now, even if I get stung for duty they are still crazy competitive. Velobuild are supposedly a good Chinese brand along the lines of hongfu etc.

Could be great or crap 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

My original plan was a cheap cube frame from bike discount but I've been thinking of trying a Chinese frame for a while now, even if I get stung for duty they are still crazy competitive. Velobuild are supposedly a good Chinese brand along the lines of hongfu etc.

Could be great or crap ��

I bought a chinese frame several years ago and it still my daily use ... although with the costs involved now (anti dump tax + customs) . it would be cheaper to get a carbon frame from Planet X .. if money is no object and you just fancy a Chinese frame then the likes of Hong Fu are decent enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I would think there are lots of options out there for known brand frames from 'local' providers especially at this time of year. Take a scan through the selection at http://www.bikebargains.co.uk/components/frames/ and you might find something in your size that takes your interest.

Also, plenty of complete bikes available for good money http://www.bikebargains.co.uk/bikes/road-bikes/ you could buy and strip and rebuild to your spec and even make back some of your costs on parts sold

Advertisement