Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband, Rathangan, Co. Kildare

Options
  • 15-11-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi

I live in Rathangan, Co. Kildare out in the sticks. I cannot get Eircom broadband and I am currently using a "3" broadband dongle which the coverage is very inconsistent. I have tried Premier Broadband but this did not work. Do you know of any broadband provider in this area it will need to be wireless and I have a clear line of sight to Dunmurray Hill, so if there is a provider from there this would be the best option. Appreciate the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://irelandoffline.org/map/#/home

Ripplecom are the only ones to cover around Rathangan.

No FWA masts on that hill from the looks of it, so whatever you get will likely be weak enough. Time to start house hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Brianboy

Thanks for the advice, contacted ripple broadband but they are not taking residential customers at the moment. Any other tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a €10 sim card for Meteor and Vodafone and test speeds in your house at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

ED E wrote: »
    http://irelandoffline.org/map/#/home

Ripplecom are the only ones to cover around Rathangan.

No FWA masts on that hill from the looks of it, so whatever you get will likely be weak enough. Time to start house hunting.

There are a couple of FWA masts on Grange Hill (Ripplecom and possibly leinster broadband), and another on the Chair of Kildare (Regional) there may be one or two others as well there certainly was a mast up on the high ground at the end of Dunmurry springs golf course over looking Rathangan.
    Brianboy wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, contacted ripple broadband but they are not taking residential customers at the moment. Any other tips?

I can occasionally pick up 4G vodafone here at home (on the road towards the Curragh) and have a pretty reliable H+ connection all the time. My fallback BB if my fibre goes down for any reason is a Meteor dongle, haven't had to use it in a while but it has always been OK as a stopgap if I needed it.

Just did a quick speedtest on my phone, 6.5mb up .5down

Hi All

Just wondering is there any new broadband providers around Rathangan. Still using three broadband and it's bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

Are Ripplecom still not taking customers? Their mast is on Grange Hill, so if you can see that you should be OK for LoS.

Beyond that I don't know; I'm with Ripplecom off Grange Hill, but I'm ~13km the far side of the hill, and I've been a customer off that mast for >10 years.

Thanks for the update, I am blocked out by Boston Hill to get to Grange Hill, is there any broadband available from Dunmurry Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

Brianboy wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, I am blocked out by Boston Hill to get to Grange Hill, is there any broadband available from Dunmurry Hill

If your view of grange is blocked by Boston you must be nearly close enough for DSL? Obviously not when you are posting here.

There's a mast on the top of the Redhills, right on the highest point of Dunmurry Springs GC that you might have LOS to? I can't remember who put it up but if you rang the golf club they'd know, I think they did some sort of deal to get BB themselves.

Three and Meteor are on the mast on Dunmurry, and Voda 4G is decent for me in Kilmoney and in a lot of places round the town, the mast is at the back of the estates on the graveyard side of town

Advertisement