Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents in Ratoath - do you know where your children are

• 14-11-2015 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭

This evening had to get 10 teenagers approx all from the Ratoath area all removed from Killegland basement car park.

Underage drinking with their tray of bud sure it's well for them to drink in the car park that I have to pay €40 for a key fob so I can access it and they manage to get in for free strong words will be had with the management company on Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Why are you drinking in the car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

Effects wrote: »
    Why are you drinking in the car park?

Har Har I wasn't drinking putting my rubbish out if you must know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Fiona wrote: »
    Putting my rubbish out if you must know.

You can keep that to yourself TBH.

I'd be annoyed too. Is it a case that you have to call the Gardaí? Do they have much or a response time? I'd imagine if it's something they know about then they might check it out more often on patrol. Might be worth talking to your neighbours about it.
    It's understandable though. Teens have to loiter somewhere and with the weather getting bad they will be looking for more shelter.

Effects wrote: »
    You can keep that to yourself TBH.

I'd be annoyed too. Is it a case that you have to call the Gardaí? Do they have much or a response time? I'd imagine if it's something they know about then they might check it out more often on patrol. Might be worth talking to your neighbours about it.
    It's understandable though. Teens have to loiter somewhere and with the weather getting bad they will be looking for more shelter.

I was with a friend who is a Garda when he quizzed them they legged it but will bring it to the attention of the local station.

Just more annoyed I was told by the management company that access to the car park was by key fob access only when that's quite clearly not the case.

Who is out of pocket if something happens to people's cars, the humble resident!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Do the gates open with the fob or does it allow you to pass through a magic force field a la Star Trek. If it's the former then is it possible they simply went in when the gate was open.

I know I have a wild, wild imagination and this might not have occurred to a mere normal human being. :pac:

• Advertisement

Do the gates open with the fob or does it allow you to pass through a magic force field a la Star Trek. If it's the former then is it possible they simply went in when the gate was open.

I know I have a wild, wild imagination and this might not have occurred to a mere normal human being. :pac:

The security guard said they knew the code to the gate and has moved them on before.

Plus they ran to the gate to get out with their code.

But I see where you are going with the Star Trek theory.

The security guard said they knew the code to the gate and has moved them on before.

But I see where you are going with the Star Trek theory.

I'd love a junkie proof forcefield on my underground car park. Perhaps it could vaporise anyone with heroin/methadone in their system. Okay maybe not vaporise them, but give them a nasty shock or something.

I'd love a junkie proof forcefield on my underground car park. Perhaps it could vaporise anyone with heroin/methadone in their system. Okay maybe not vaporise them, but give them a nasty shock or something.

Would be nice alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

If they know the code to the gate, it seems likely that at least one of the gang is living in your complex or building?

Complain in writing (email) to your management company, requesting that the code be changed and residents instructed not to give the new one to non-residents.

If they're in there again, it will be quite clear that one of the resident kids is bringing their friends in, and the onus should be on the management company to find the occupants responsible and impress upon them that they are to discourage their children from engaging in anti-social behaviour in the communal areas.

DivingDuck wrote: »
    If they know the code to the gate, it seems likely that at least one of the gang is living in your complex or building?

Complain in writing (email) to your management company, requesting that the code be changed and residents instructed not to give the new one to non-residents.

If they're in there again, it will be quite clear that one of the resident kids is bringing their friends in, and the onus should be on the management company to find the occupants responsible and impress upon them that they are to discourage their children from engaging in anti-social behaviour in the communal areas.

I would love to know legally what would happen if a resident brought their mates into the car park and they injured themselves what would happen then?

Payout from management company or mgt companies public liability cover perhaps?

That said could happen to anybody that was visiting and was given access not just drinking teenagers in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I would love to know legally what would happen if a resident brought their mates into the car park and they injured themselves what would happen then?

That said could happen to anybody that was visiting and was given access not just drinking teenagers in general.

I have no idea-- I'm not even sure this is technically illegal, as it is not a public place (the land, I'm assuming, is privately owned if they're charging for access to it). Underage drinking on private property doesn't seem to be, in and of itself, against the law.

However, most complexes will have still have regulations against loitering/causing nuisance in the common areas as part of their lease agreement. If one or more of the kids have parents who are owners or renters at the complex, they are subject to that agreement.

I would mention the likelihood of injury and subsequent liability issues in my email to the management company. "Due to intoxication, these children were not acting with due care and consideration for their well-being" and reference any examples of climbing, messing around, etc. that you have witnessed or heard.

In my experience, nothing gets a management company to act faster than the fear of having to deal with an insurance claim over an injured minor.

Occupiers liability Act places a very high standard of 'Reckless Disregard' before the occupier (in this case the OMC) could be found liable. Possibly a different standard in the case of minors but that would be the court overriding legislation so I think it unlikely, however I'd say Prof. Binchy probably knows a bit more about it than I do and he didn't care to share his reasons in a great detail in his published work.

Advertisement