Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IBS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

mg1982 wrote: »
    Had an appointment with Gastro doctor in hospital yesterday. After an endoscopy and scans he believes i have IBS and is putting me on tablets. Im glad i have a diagnosis because i been suffering with my stomach more and more the last few years and i didnt know what the hell was going on. At this stage the only foods that dont seem to make me feel ill are rice pasta and corn flakes, everything else just flattens me. I just hope the medication will help.

what scans did you get? what tablets are they putting you on?
    I've been suffering for about 14 years with IBS (9 officially per diagnoses). I was managing it really well up until about a year or so ago when I put on a bit of extra weight & now it's hitting in harder that previously.

I did the FODMAPs app to get an idea & think it'll be something I'll persue with a trained professional as it did seem to help. And I'd love to be able to cut down on some of the tablets I'm on.
    Over the counter, I found that Fybogel was really good for getting some normality to my functions.

Like sullivlo I found that it wasn't just white bread etc that I had a problem with. Too much fibre in my diet led to more problems. I also got a colonoscopy to rule out any other things such as Crohns as some of the symptoms can be so similar. My health insurance covered most of the cost of going private for this (I would have been waiting approx 1 year at least as was "non urgent").

Is app a typo for diet? if not I must look into that, I might retry the fybogel again. Ive had D predominant for 10 years and it interferes in my life so much that its difficult to plan anything.
    I've had IBS for 12 years, mostly D but can lean towards C at times.

I'm normally good for spasms and it's mostly that my digestion feels aggravated and raw along with GERD and racing heart. Stress and hot weather makes it worse. I've had times when I can eat anything I want and have no symptoms at all, and as an avid foodie, those times are bliss :)

I've done FODMAPs and while it works during a mild flare, it's useless when I'm having a really bad flare. Then I can only eat cheese, meat and freshly cooked rice (has to be freshly cooked as resistant starch in reheated rice can cause issues when I'm very sensitive). No fruit, no veg, no spices whatsoever. It's really dull but worth it to ease the flare.

The best 'medication' I've found is Krill oil + vitamin D. Calms the gut inflammation right down (for some reason NSAIDs make the situation worse). In my experience a short course of 4 weeks is all that's necessary.

I believe my whole issue is related to dysbiosis of my gut bacteria that was probably brought on by a series of strong broad spectrum antibiotics I took related to dental treatment in my early 20's.

I'm going to try a protocol soon that will attempt to address the dysbiosis for the medium to long term. I'll report back with details if I have any success with it.

I heard something like this about reheated rice, Ive been eating rice as my main part of a meal for at least 5 years, although I still eat potato as I think the fibre in them (especially the skin) may help.
    Never heard of krill oil, I'll have to look into that, Ive been giving everything a go, but I really think its dysbyosis myself too.
    In the last 8 months Ive read more about the role bacteria play in the gut than I have in the remaining 10 years Ive had IBS. Id been prescribed antibiotics when I was younger, but think I had some after a routine surgery, since that time my gut was different than it was before but not bad, Id about 2 or 3 bad bouts when IBS came onto the scene, back then I used to get bad spasms and was basically how IBS introduced itself to me as what I thought was really bad indigestion.
    In hindsight I feel I may have suffered some food poisoning which triggered it, and due to the use of antibiotics, feel that its possible what Ive gotten may have come from a number of sources, namely how some non beneficial bacteria can spread.
    Recently Ive been trying specific probiotics, Id had what I felt was some success with one as I searched for a type that had a specific constituent sachromyces boulardi) a yeast that affects bacteria in the gut, along with certain bacterial strains in the tablets, (Unfortunately it seemed to lose effectiveness after a time of use, I tried another which has another probiotic but seemed less effective.
    Im sure people will recoil, but Im honestly considering FMT as a treatment, just not sure how to get a willing donor.

Modern medicine, in my experience is that they dont know or care as its not cancer! and it cant be treated with a prescription.
    On top of that there seems to be a lot of information pointing to what causes IBS and other gut problems and the role bacteria play in the gut aiding the immune system among other things.

We are basically transportation devices to move bacteria around, wholesale undermining their balance is not helpful. I think that has been done with foods produced in modern farming and with overuse of antibiotics.
    There a re so many things I cannot eat, annoyingly some of the foods that are supposed to be good prebiotics for bacteria that aid us, such as brocolli, I try to eat some greens but the affect it has on me isnt good.
    Ive made up water kefir and am looking into kefir milk and sourdough bread to make myself, Im even thinking of growing some of my own food just to try it, big problem to me is meat,cant raise enough of that! antibiotics again in mass farming.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

cerastes wrote: »

I heard something like this about reheated rice, Ive been eating rice as my main part of a meal for at least 5 years, although I still eat potato as I think the fibre in them (especially the skin) may help.
    Never heard of krill oil, I'll have to look into that, Ive been giving everything a go, but I really think its dysbyosis myself too.
    In the last 8 months Ive read more about the role bacteria play in the gut than I have in the remaining 10 years Ive had IBS. Id been prescribed antibiotics when I was younger, but think I had some after a routine surgery, since that time my gut was different than it was before but not bad, Id about 2 or 3 bad bouts when IBS came onto the scene, back then I used to get bad spasms and was basically how IBS introduced itself to me as what I thought was really bad indigestion.
    In hindsight I feel I may have suffered some food poisoning which triggered it, and due to the use of antibiotics, feel that its possible what Ive gotten may have come from a number of sources, namely how some non beneficial bacteria can spread.
    Recently Ive been trying specific probiotics, Id had what I felt was some success with one as I searched for a type that had a specific constituent sachromyces boulardi) a yeast that affects bacteria in the gut, along with certain bacterial strains in the tablets, (Unfortunately it seemed to lose effectiveness after a time of use, I tried another which has another probiotic but seemed less effective.
    Im sure people will recoil, but Im honestly considering FMT as a treatment, just not sure how to get a willing donor.

Modern medicine, in my experience is that they dont know or care as its not cancer! and it cant be treated with a prescription.
    On top of that there seems to be a lot of information pointing to what causes IBS and other gut problems and the role bacteria play in the gut aiding the immune system among other things.

We are basically transportation devices to move bacteria around, wholesale undermining their balance is not helpful. I think that has been done with foods produced in modern farming and with overuse of antibiotics.
    There a re so many things I cannot eat, annoyingly some of the foods that are supposed to be good prebiotics for bacteria that aid us, such as brocolli, I try to eat some greens but the affect it has on me isnt good.
    Ive made up water kefir and am looking into kefir milk and sourdough bread to make myself, Im even thinking of growing some of my own food just to try it, big problem to me is meat,cant raise enough of that! antibiotics again in mass farming.

Are you my twin? I pretty much had a very similar experience.

DEFINITELY try the krill oil, it's miracle for chronic D, It's honestly the best thing I've tried.

Does anyone in Ireland even do FMT? I know you can get it done in UK for 5K sterling which is so much when it's not a guaranteed cure! There are some DIY efforts on some forums that are just like :eek::eek::eek:

Iseedeadpixels, careful with fybogel, I'm taking psyllium at the mo (main ingredient in fybogel) and I'm tapering it VERY slowly (had only 1/2 teaspoon!) and god did I know all about it! I'm on super low fodmap at the moment as well. I'm hoping to stick with the psyllium until I can tolerate 4 teaspoons. It's vile but I'm trying to get my body to tolerate it so it can increase the effectiveness of some very very strong probiotics.

Are you my twin? I pretty much had a very similar experience.

DEFINITELY try the krill oil, it's miracle for chronic D, It's honestly the best thing I've tried.

Does anyone in Ireland even do FMT? I know you can get it done in UK for 5K sterling which is so much when it's not a guaranteed cure! There are some DIY efforts on some forums that are just like :eek::eek::eek:

Iseedeadpixels, careful with fybogel, I'm taking psyllium at the mo (main ingredient in fybogel) and I'm tapering it VERY slowly (had only 1/2 teaspoon!) and god did I know all about it! I'm on super low fodmap at the moment as well. I'm hoping to stick with the psyllium until I can tolerate 4 teaspoons. It's vile but I'm trying to get my body to tolerate it so it can increase the effectiveness of some very very strong probiotics.

Maybe? :(
    Where do you get the krill oil? online? health food shop? Im planning to look into digestive aids (alpha galactosidase?), definitely been told twice Im not lactose intolerant and have done the tests for Crohns and Ceoliacs? (sic), but I have considered the root cause being inability to digest foods by not producing enzymes, and then how bacteria play a role in that later in the Large Intestine. Mine (D) isnt so chronic as it was, used to be pretty bad though, so much so that I would be in agony, but I have other symptoms
    I did have a SIBO test and am due one again, when I asked what they tested for and how they tested, I got no clear answer??? I dont know if they are looking for something specific or something not present?? or some very specific things, which may or may not have any effect on what problems I have.
    The Fybogel I dont find too bad tastewise, not great but, (compared to say, clean prep) havent had it in a while, I was advised about western diets and fibre but additional fibre and certain fruits made me much worse, I eat a bowl of porridge every morning, winter or summer, it seems to not have a negative affect, compared to weetabix or bran or other sugar laden cereals which can have a negative affect, even the more sugar laden normal cereals arent as bad as additional fibre laden types I considered.

Mostly my diet is low sugar too, highly processed foods are out, Pizza or takeaway, or eating out is a no, although from time to time I fall off the wagon. I still eat meat but am concerned about antibiotics in them, just dont know how much it might affect me??? I could cut out meat but that would be difficult plus the range of my diet is very limited already. I cut out peas due to FODMAP, but I try eat rocket, and spinach from time to time and while I like cheese, the outcome is unknown in advance, and I hardly drink any alcohol anymore (very little and not regularily, the outcome is also uncertain as sometimes I can have a red wine with no affects and others I do).

Whats the protocol you mentioned you are planning for resolving any bacterial imbalance? Im interested to know, as per FMT, Im willing to try pretty much anything at this point, I really need to look into kim chi, we did our own bread but it was from packets, I want to try a sourdough or spelt to make using the now idle bread machine. I think pro/prebiotic natural foods especially that we can prepare and take regularily may be a help with a boost from synthetic or processed pro/prebiotics from time to time, but I consider any dysbyosis needs to be addressed, probably likely, firstly.

I think all IBS is cyclical which is why it's so hard to pin down what's provoking it. Something you eat one day can be just fine the next.

I've been through the gamut of digestive supplements, enzymes, beteine hcl you name it. Some helped for a while but nothing helped as consistently as the krill oil. You can pick it up in boots or any healthfood shop, sort of expensive but worth it.

I was reluctant to post my current protocol, cos I'm not sure if it's going to work but it's tapering up psyllium to a steady dose of 4 teaspoons per day (currently up to 1tsp and not really doing great, but your supposed to persevere) while eating ultra low fodmaps (Meat, cheese, rice, coconut oil - that's it!) for two weeks. Then once dose is steady take a 6 day course of Elixa probiotic. It's 10 tablets (!) in the morning on an empty stomach.

I took Elixa before and didn't have much success which is why the psyllium is there to 'carry' the probiotic into every corner of the bowel.

I should be done in two weeks so will report back when I'm done. I'm looking forward to eating a wider variety of food in any case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

@cerastes I had a CT scan on my stomach just to rule out other cause and it came up clear. The medication im currently on is spasmanol but im only on it for less than a week. Its not doing a whole pile yet. Been looking down the pro-biotic route myself and was taking one called Alflorex and it did help alleviate symptoms. Trouble is its expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

@cerastes I had a CT scan on my stomach just to rule out other cause and it came up clear. The medication im currently on is spasmanol but im only on it for less than a week. Its not doing a whole pile yet. Been looking down the pro-biotic route myself and was taking one called Alflorex and it did help alleviate symptoms. Trouble is its expensive.

On alflorex myself. Its expensive at 33 euro for a months supply but well worth it in my opinion.

Not a miracle drug or cured or anything but makes life so much easier

Alflorex was the other probiotic I finished recently, I'm not sure if it has made a difference for me at all really, saw it recently mentioned on TV and the reports seemed very good. Worth a try and I think no harm anyway, but pricey. I think it might be hard to determine or assess a benefit but unlikey to make things worse.
    I'll look into elixa too, do you take the psyllium husk as fybogel from sachets? If so, is it the type with mebeverine in it or without?
    I've considered glucosamine? Not that it seems unusual, for tissue repair of the bowel wall lining, need to check the name.
    If it seems like I'm clutching at straws, its probably because I'm willing to try anything given that modern medicines answer is to just live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

cerastes wrote: »

Is app a typo for diet? if not I must look into that, I might retry the fybogel again. Ive had D predominant for 10 years and it interferes in my life so much that its difficult to plan anything.

Nope not a typo. The university who developed FODMAPS have an app for iPhone (probably android too) that gives you an idea of what foods are high or low & gives you a week run of the diet itself. I used it to give me an idea of whether it would work for me or not. Not it's not cheap (€7.99) but worth it.

• I suffer from IBS since I had my last child 20 years ago. My doc tried everything he could think of and nothing seemed to work. While waiting for a prescription in my local chemist, the chemist came out to me and asked if I'd tried Linseeds. They changed my life! I sprinkle a dessert spoon full on my breakfast and am now down to one attack a year and haven't needed medical help in about 10 years. I take 2 Buscopan for the bad attacks.
    Foods can play Hell, but it's just trial and error as to what you can tolerate.

Nope not a typo. The university who developed FODMAPS have an app for iPhone (probably android too) that gives you an idea of what foods are high or low & gives you a week run of the diet itself. I used it to give me an idea of whether it would work for me or not. Not it's not cheap (€7.99) but worth it.

I have that app too and you need to be careful as even though something is listed as 'green' it doesn't mean it's fodmap free. For example oranges are listed as low in polyols, but it still has some, so you can't eat them with impunity.

• Advertisement

I suffer from IBS since I had my last child 20 years ago. My doc tried everything he could think of and nothing seemed to work. While waiting for a prescription in my local chemist, the chemist came out to me and asked if I'd tried Linseeds. They changed my life! I sprinkle a dessert spoon full on my breakfast and am now down to one attack a year and haven't needed medical help in about 10 years. I take 2 Buscopan for the bad attacks.
    Foods can play Hell, but it's just trial and error as to what you can tolerate.

Linseeds, anything is worth knowing if its helped someone.
    The only thing is IBS being what it is, peoples symptoms and how they are affected are different.
    I will still try them, any idea how long you were taking them for a noticeable effect?
    I actually chew a teaspoon of fennel seeds, Id do it once or maybe twice a day, at breakfast and then at a later meal, kind of a licorice taste

I have that app too and you need to be careful as even though something is listed as 'green' it doesn't mean it's fodmap free. For example oranges are listed as low in polyols, but it still has some, so you can't eat them with impunity.

Oh definitely. I think the app is great for giving an idea of what the diet is all about but having tried it, I'm going to get referred to a professional to do it properly.

• cerastes wrote: »
    Linseeds, anything is worth knowing if its helped someone.
    The only thing is IBS being what it is, peoples symptoms and how they are affected are different.
    I will still try them, any idea how long you were taking them for a noticeable effect?
    I actually chew a teaspoon of fennel seeds, Id do it once or maybe twice a day, at breakfast and then at a later meal, kind of a licorice taste

I felt the difference after about a week. My motions were more regular. I used suffer constipation rather than diarrhoea but no longer. I ran out of linseeds once and tried to go without for about a week and ended up in Hospital! Anything is worth trying. They work for me, but that's not to say they'll work for everyone. I used buy the Linusit, but now buy Tesco own brand. They are much cheaper and do the same job. I also find mint tea good, but cannot tolerate Colpermin! It's all trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

After many ibs free years it's reared its ugly head again. Today was horrific, violent spasms and up and down to the toilet all day. Stress seems to trigger my symptoms (although red wine was another culprit). I seem to have severe symptoms for a day and back to normal again apart from feeling wiped. My doctor put me on a course on anti depressants solely for this purpose and it definitely helped, I havent had any flare ups since. But it seems to have returned. I really don't want to go on anti depressants again for this and I can't really cut out stress as much as I would like to. Has anyone had good experience with Buscopan or similar for more immediate relief? I've tried Colpermin but it's useless, may as well be chewing smarties.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Daisy78 wrote: »
    After many ibs free years it's reared its ugly head again. Today was horrific, violent spasms and up and down to the toilet all day. Stress seems to trigger my symptoms (although red wine was another culprit). I seem to have severe symptoms for a day and back to normal again apart from feeling wiped. My doctor put me on a course on anti depressants solely for this purpose and it definitely helped, I havent had any flare ups since. But it seems to have returned. I really don't want to go on anti depressants again for this and I can't really cut out stress as much as I would like to. Has anyone had good experience with Buscopan or similar for more immediate relief? I've tried Colpermin but it's useless, may as well be chewing smarties.

Buscopan, spasmonal and clonfec work better than colpermin for spasms imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

I've been taking Alflorex for the past three or four months but can't say I notice much difference - and it's a pretty expensive habit! (I have IBS-D) I have Buscopan also but not sure it helps. I never used Colpermin but used to get the 200mg peppermint capsules from Holland and Barrett which are the same I think. Took them religiously, but again, not sure they ever did anything... At this stage Immodium is the only thing I know definitely helps me, but I just carry it around like a security blanket and only take it every few weeks - usually pre-emptively, if I'm going out for dinner with friends or something.

I've had symptoms since I was about 16. Got much, much worse when I was about 19 - I'm convinced a trip to central America triggered something. It then almost suddenly improved by 50/60% after some weird stomach bug a good few years later (it was like something was reset - sounds bizarre I know...).

Other stuff that helps:
    Losing weight. The IBS is probably now at the best it's been since I was a teenager. I wasn't crazy overweight, but have lost two and a half stone and it definitely helped.

The other major "revelation" moment was cutting out wheat - I'm not super strict, but never eat bread/pasta/pastry anymore. I'm on a half-hearted fodmap (non-supervised) whereby I just avoid the high foods, but at some stage will probably end up doing it properly. I have the book and enjoy dipping into it.

No alcohol - I have a pint of stout or half glass of wine about once a month (I'm wild!)

My doc keeps mentioning stress as a possible trigger, but I really don't think that's an issue for me at all.

Anyway, the IBS still baffles me (it can just be so seemingly random...!) and makes me miserable about once a fortnight, and I *hate* that so much of my daily life is spent thinking about digestion/toilets/being embarrassed. But I realise there are far more serious conditions I could have, and my IBS could be much worse than it is now.

OK, abandoning the psyllium husk experiment. Was making things so much worse without any sign of getting better. It's funny some people do really well on it but it totally disagrees with me.

I have discovered something that really helps with bloating though, ginger root capsules.

You can eat ginger too but it's just more convenient to take the caps, which are just dehydrated ginger.

Ginger is very anti-inflammatory too so would be good for anyone going through an IBS-D flare. Ginger also calms down the vagus nerve so anyone who gets 'fluttery' in their heart during an attack would find it good too. (though I can't emphasise enough that any abnormal heart rhythm needs to be checked out by a doctor first to rule out something more serious)

You can eat ginger, take the caps or make ginger tea, the caps are probably the strongest but I've found all three really soothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I was wondering if anyone has exercise induced IBS-D? Is it even a thing? It's not confirmed yet that I do have IBS as I only recently went to my doctor but my symptoms point to it. It came on first while I was running and then it started when I wasn't running. Now I cant run at all without going and after cycling sometimes too.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has done Fodmap who is a vegetarian? I am giving up one food group at a time so as to not give up too many things at once. I've started with lactose and it doesn't seem to have much effect so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I was wondering if anyone has exercise induced IBS-D? Is it even a thing? It's not confirmed yet that I do have IBS as I only recently went to my doctor but my symptoms point to it. It came on first while I was running and then it started when I wasn't running. Now I cant run at all without going and after cycling sometimes too.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has done Fodmap who is a vegetarian? I am giving up one food group at a time so as to not give up too many things at once. I've started with lactose and it doesn't seem to have much effect so far.

FODMAP works better if you eliminate everything at once and then reintroduce foods at varying quantities.

As for exercise, I have IBS-C so id love if going for a run helped!! What kind of food do you eat before a run? Do you use any supplements while exercising (gels / electrolytes)? Do you get D symptoms all the time or is it just exercise induced?

I'd normally eat a sandwich before a run. It would be roughly three hours before. I don't take any supplements. I'm gonna try running in the morning when my stomach is empty. I get D on the days I don't run too. It's usually every day or second day.

I'd like to do Fodmap all at once but I'm wary of not getting enough nutrients, especially giving up the legumes which would be a source of a lot of my protein. I'll study the food groups more closely to see if I can do it while getting enough nutrients.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I went to see a alternative treatment doctor. From that he has put me on:

5-HTP
    Vitamin D3
    Polyzyme Forte
    Orac Omega
    Vitamin B6

I get 1 or 2 IBS episodes a year now which I combat with some buscopan and usually clears up after 2-3 days.

I'd normally eat a sandwich before a run. It would be roughly three hours before. I don't take any supplements. I'm gonna try running in the morning when my stomach is empty. I get D on the days I don't run too. It's usually every day or second day.

I'd like to do Fodmap all at once but I'm wary of not getting enough nutrients, especially giving up the legumes which would be a source of a lot of my protein. I'll study the food groups more closely to see if I can do it while getting enough nutrients.

Just be careful with FODMAP. Some foods contain more than one FODMAP so don't just cut out particular food groups - cut out the individual FODMAP. Will take a long time too - 6 weeks of avoiding per FODMAP.

I went to see a alternative treatment doctor. From that he has put me on:

5-HTP
    Vitamin D3
    Polyzyme Forte
    Orac Omega
    Vitamin B6

I get 1 or 2 IBS episodes a year now which I combat with some buscopan and usually clears up after 2-3 days.

Were you C or D out of interest?

Would you consider going to someone trained in Fodmap rather than trying to do it yourself considering your concerns?

I cant afford to unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

I have had the Fitzwilliam food intolerance test done and I now know what foods I am intolerant to, so would there be any point in me trying fodmap?

Anna1976 wrote: »
    I have had the Fitzwilliam food intolerance test done and I now know what foods I am intolerant to, so would there be any point in me trying fodmap?

Sorry to say it but those food intolerance tests are very unreliable. People can enter in two of the same samples but get different results.

By all means give it a go, but FODMAPs is the only scientifically proven diet for IBS.

It depends. Have you still got symptoms after removing the foods you're intolerant to from your diet?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

sullivlo wrote: »
    It depends. Have you still got symptoms after removing the foods you're intolerant to from your diet?

I have only reduced the foods I am intolerant to because there were so many. I am intolerant to all dairy, gluten, rice, some nuts, eggs, and probably more I can't remember at the moment. It seemed like such a huge step to remove all these from my diet. I've been unwell for 2 years now but was only diagnosed 1 month ago after having numerous other tests done to rule everything else out. I am taking 2 fybogel a day, which I find very good. My doctor prescribed colofac and Ive been taking that for a month but I don't find it makes any difference. I have just started taking alflorex so I will see how I get on with that.

• Advertisement

I have only reduced the foods I am intolerant to because there were so many. I am intolerant to all dairy, gluten, rice, some nuts, eggs, and probably more I can't remember at the moment. It seemed like such a huge step to remove all these from my diet. I've been unwell for 2 years now but was only diagnosed 1 month ago after having numerous other tests done to rule everything else out. I am taking 2 fybogel a day, which I find very good. My doctor prescribed colofac and Ive been taking that for a month but I don't find it makes any difference. I have just started taking alflorex so I will see how I get on with that.

Well perhaps it might be more beneficial to completely cut out the food you are intolerant to first to see whether a reduction in this food reduces your symptoms. If it doesn't then FODMAP may be an option. However if you think that cutting out dairy, gluten, rice etc, is difficult, you will have a really tough time with the FODMAP stuff. It's really hard.

I found trough trial and error that it takes time, patience and hard work. Cutting food from a diet is tough, but essential if you want to get better.

Things take time though. And you need to be systematic about it too. There's no point in trying 3 things simultaneously - you need to do things one at a time, and for an extended period of time.

There are other antispasmodic tablets you can try too. Buscopan, spasmonal, colpermin - I take them depending on the different types of pain I get.

You could try linking in with a dietician if you think it would help.

I was discharged by my GI the other day. He said I've my symptoms under control and a good understanding of what is needed on a day to day basis for maintenance. He wants me to check in with him in a year to get more tests done to ensure the symptoms aren't masking anything sinister, and if I'm sent to a&e again I have to call his team and they will see me there during a flare. But progress.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement