Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When atheists go too far

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Despite agreeing with pretty much the majority of what Dawkins has to say, I do see him as an atheist troll. He's no better than any fundamentalist. But he's a fundamentalist without a god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

If he carries on preaching like that he'll be crucified by the Romans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

I think Dawkins is simply repaying the fundamentalists in like kind. For years, Atheists have had to put and shut up, now he's providing a longed for voice for a rapidly growing section of society. I applaud him for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I have no problem ridiculing idiots who's beliefs cause harm or hurt to others or hinder progression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Is it wrong to mock people's favourite political party or politician, or football club?

Dawkins isn't saying religious people are stupid or wrong, he's arguing their ideas/beliefs are wrong or stupid. That's quite a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

yeah... but.... there's still no God, so....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

steddyeddy wrote: »
    http://politico.ie/social-issues/science-tech/7573-richard-dawkins-interview-world-atheist-convention

Dawkins said he doesnt mind ridiculing other people's beleifs. Im an agnostic but I really dont see the point in constantly maintianing that anyone witha different view of the world to mine is stupid or wrong. Am I missing out on something here If history has taught us anything is intolerance of other people's beliefs has caused a huge amount of suffering in the past.

That may be true, but that doesn't stop some people from being agressive about thier beliefs (regardless of what it is they believe).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Fair play to him.

He once suggested a name for atheists should be "bright people" as opposed to not bright people. He seems to have a major problem. Not only that he attacks one religion more than another which shows bias towards the church of england.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

http://politico.ie/social-issues/science-tech/7573-richard-dawkins-interview-world-atheist-convention

Dawkins said he doesnt mind ridiculing other people's beleifs. Im an agnostic but I really dont see the point in constantly maintianing that anyone witha different view of the world to mine is stupid or wrong. Am I missing out on something here If history has taught us anything is intolerance of other people's beliefs has caused a huge amount of suffering in the past.

There's a difference between ridiculing and being intolerant. I ridicule religious people because I think they're gullible - but I'm not intolerant of them. You're exaggerating for effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

He'll be sorry when he's in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I don't mind ridiculing old **** who have embraced controversy to sell a few more copies of his latest book.

That may be true, but that doesn't stop some people from being agressive about thier beliefs (regardless of what it is they believe).

But does that make it right that dawkins does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

isnt it kind of Ironic rediculing all beliefs yet loads of people 'believe' him

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

iamstop wrote: »
    I have no problem ridiculing idiots who's beliefs cause harm or hurt to others or hinder progression.

Beliefs can't cause harm, only actions.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Is it wrong to mock people's favourite political party or politician, or football club?

Dawkins isn't saying religious people are stupid or wrong, he's arguing their ideas/beliefs are wrong or stupid. That's quite a difference.

Actually he suggested a new name for atheists be "bright people". He actually does say their wrong and implies their stupid thats my problem with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

He once suggested a name for atheists should be "bright people" as opposed to not bright people. He seems to have a major problem. Not only that he attacks one religion more than another which shows bias towards the church of england.

Well seeing as immeasurably evil acts have been carried out in the name of religion then I think the man has a point.

Religion will allow normally moral people do dispicable things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

But those actions are inextricably linked to the beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I despise militant atheism. I'm an apatheist myself but I don't need to ridicule Christians or Muslims to make myself feel better. I might think it's ridiculous in my mind but I won't force that view on people.

I don't think Dawkins is too bad, actually; he's certainly arrogant but he's tolerable. "I don't call people idiots but I do think people's views are idiotic" - that's a fair enough viewpoint to hold. Now I wouldn't go out of my way to spread that message like he does but I definitely agree with his point about indoctrinating children.

So Dawkins is ok in my book. Christopher Hitchens, on the other hand, is an insufferable asshole and represents, much moreso than Dawkins, what is wrong with militant atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

When peoples beliefs have a negative impact on the world, I think its very important to challenge them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'd agree on alot of his points, I am absolutely disgusted that people in this country still subscribe to catholic doctrine, I am simply not friends with people who preach it, and I never would be. I feel the similar for most religions, but I have no tolerance for catholicism from the pope right down to the pensioner giving her euro a week to one of the most evil organisations in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He will have plenty of time to reflect on this when he suffers in hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Religion is comedy gold. who wouldnt mock it. If people say rediclous things theyre going to be ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Actually he suggested a new name for atheists be "bright people". He actually does say their wrong and implies their stupid thats my problem with him.

Idiotic name of the "The Brights" aside. He says no such thing. The implication that they're stupid is purely one that you are making of your own. Look at how much respect he shows for this Catholic Priest.

Even Kevin Myers disagrees with you, lol. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Ugh, semantics. It's the beliefs that lead to the actions, or inactions that cause harm. Jehovah's not allowing life saving transplants, catholics following the church and not using contraception resulting in unwanted births and diseases etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Saila wrote: »
    isnt it kind of Ironic rediculing all beliefs yet loads of people 'believe' him

:pac:

That makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I despise militant atheism. I'm an apatheist myself but I don't need to ridicule Christians or Muslims to make myself feel better. I might think it's ridiculous in my mind but I won't force that view on people.

Are militant atheists the ones who scream Allah Ackbar when they blow themselves up or the ones who blow up abortion clinics? A completely BS term invented by people like you so you can feel better than at least one group of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Not another atheist bashing thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I knew of him only as a science writer until Creationism started to be taken seriously in the US. I see his current role as an inevitable response to the rise of Creationism.

• Advertisement

I agree if a religion does or says something which will cause harm it absolutely needs to be tackled but my problem would be criticising people who do no harm to me, others or themselves through their beleifs I have no desire to crticise how they live their lives.

Advertisement