Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weaning Thread

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I just put them in the dishwasher. I think that gets them near sterile. But my guy was 6 months so you dont need to sterilise from then - pointless as he was licking the floor by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 highflyer30

Great thread. My guy is 6 months today. Started feeding 3 weeks ago on purée and rice. He much prefers it a bit lumpier! The little scut. Gonna start baby led idea after reading this thread. Can't wait, off to the fruit & veg shop we go!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Hi,

I started feeding my little one at 4months she's now 19 weeks and we've tried most the individual fruit and veg and also mixed a few together. Can we go on to purée recipes now?

When. I do a search it brings them up for purée for 6months but is this just because that's the recommended age to wean?

Does anyone have some good purée recipes?

Also I when do I need to introduce fish and meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I didn't wean using purées but the Anabel Karmel seem to be the generally recommended for purée recipes.

Fish and meat are introduced after 6 months as far as I know. I'm sure the Anabel Karmek books explain when each food group can be introduced.

Ya i m using her book too. Got it on amazon for seven euro or something. Really good receipes. Has a meal planner for purees which ive been using . Handy until you get into the swing of things. I started with the purees. Will move onto finger foods soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You start finger foods at 6 months and no earlier than that. The reason is you have to wait until their tongue thrust has stopped and this usually happens at 6 months in most babies.

You start finger foods at 6 months and no earlier than that. The reason is you have to wait until their tongue thrust has stopped and this usually happens at 6 months in most babies.

Exactly how strange. My lo is a little over six months, all ready for action.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Don't forget that in between the purées and finger food, you should be making the consistency lumpier. Start mashing finely and adding liquid instead of blending everything.

I'm often amazed at people still spoon-feeding purées to 7 and 8 month old babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm often amazed at people still spoon-feeding purées to 7 and 8 month old babies.

My son only started taking lumpier food at around a year old, up until then any lumps would make him gag to the point of vomiting.
    So instead of persisting with with lumps & giving him negative associations with food I continued pureeing his meals & let him move on at his own pace rather than saying he 'should' be eating such a thing at such an age & true enough he did move on to lumpier food when he was ready. Every child is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ms2011 wrote: »
    My son only started taking lumpier food at around a year old, up until then any lumps would make him gag to the point of vomiting.
    So instead of persisting with with lumps & giving him negative associations with food I continued pureeing his meals & let him move on at his own pace rather than saying he 'should' be eating such a thing at such an age & true enough he did move on to lumpier food when he was ready. Every child is different!

Fair enough, I'm just thinking of friends who were so terrified of the child gagging that they continued pureéing and were then surprised when they had difficulty getting the child to eat anything lumpy or solid.

Gradually introducing texture into a child's food is the ideal way to go, but obviously not if there's a real danger of choking. The baby led weaning approach reminds parents that gagging is natural and it teaches the child to chew.

Every child is different, but general guidelines can be helpful to parents in assessing how their child is getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Ms2011 wrote: »
    My son is exactly the same! He's nearly 10months and if he finds any lumps in his food he ends up sick! But it's funny he eats finger foods,but I still have to puree his fruit and Veg. I mashed his potato and Veg last week to try him, no go! So we're doing a mixture of purees and finger foods for most of his meals. And like you,I've decided he will do it when he's good and ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Hi all,

Looking for some advice off you pro's please!

My baby boy is 5 1/2 months old now, on third week of purrees following annabel k book. He has feeds at 7am 8oz bottle and 2 cubes puree, 11am 8oz bottle, 3pm 8oz bottle and 2 cubes puree, 7pm 8oz bottle.My questions are: am I meant to reduce his bottle quantity and increase his puree?
    How do you defrost your puree, I have been putting in fridge night before then using microwave to warm?
    Do you give more water now, I have just started giving him about 2oz in between feeds?
    Do you use follow on milk from 6 months?

I'm feeling like I'm overfeeding my lil fella, hes happilly eating whatever I give him though.

Hi all,

My baby boy is 5 1/2 months old now, on third week of purrees following annabel k book. He has feeds at 7am 8oz bottle and 2 cubes puree, 11am 8oz bottle, 3pm 8oz bottle and 2 cubes puree, 7pm 8oz bottle.My questions are: am I meant to reduce his bottle quantity and increase his puree?
    How do you defrost your puree, I have been putting in fridge night before then using microwave to warm?
    Do you give more water now, I have just started giving him about 2oz in between feeds?

I'm feeling like I'm overfeeding my lil fella, hes happilly eating whatever I give him though.

Hi, I'd really appreciate your advice please, lil man is on 3 cubes, hoping to start 3 meals today. Been reading around but feeling more confused especially in terms of feeding times and bottle quantities, help please!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi all,

I can't comment on the bottles as I breasted, but I introduced water with solids. It took a few weeks for baby to get the hang of it so I just kept an eye on the nappies and added water to the purées if I thought that it was needed, until baby was drinking water by themselves.

In the beginning he would have a morning bf then an hour later around 8, his cereal with fruit purée. He would take maybe 2 small bf between then and 1 which was lunch time- veg and mash. Couple more feeds during the afternoon and rice and fruit at 5pm

In my case he naturally reduced his milk feeds by himself once he got the hang of water and self weaned at 11 months though I would have been happy to continue. His only bottle is his bedtime one since then.

I used to heat from frozen and didn't set limits on quantities. I just used to say "last spoon" and he understood so if he was not full he'd cry for more and I'd heat up a few cubes more.

I used ice cube trays to freeze so as to cut down on wastage. Never used follow-on milk. Tried cows milk but the baby is not keen and its only one bottle a day so I didn't work too much. He gets cows milk in his food though and happy to take it there so soon ill be gradually reducing the aptimal and increasing the cows milk to get him used to it.

Quick question, if you have cooked something and frozen it that day how long will it last once defrosted.

For example if I got some veg out last night will it still be ok tomo?

Nicky987 wrote: »
    Quick question, if you have cooked something and frozen it that day how long will it last once defrosted.

For example if I got some veg out last night will it still be ok tomo?

Yep, I've often defrosted pureed fruit only to not need it so I've used it the following day no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Just wondering if anyone started their baby in solids earlier than 17 weeks (please don't tell me the rights and wrongs of doing this!)?

I started out lil guy at 14 weeks and he is 15 weeks this weekend. So far I only give him one spoon of milupa rice with his regular bottle every morning and evening. He takes if and seems to love it... He's a hungry man and had been eyeing us up eating our dinner for a while now! Just wondering when u should move him onto something else? I bought milupa cereal with banana and orange today for some variety.

I started at 16 weeks, baby ric for a couple of days and the. A fruity rice. At end of the week I started on single foods- sweet potato, carrot, apple, pear, banana. Just was offering it around 11, did that for a week or so then started mixing stuff and adding more, mango, avocado, swede, butternut squash etc. shes20weeks now and I give her morning bottle then some fruity rice or fruit purée, then at lunch she has veg then a bottle afterwards, late afternoon bottle then at around 6 she has a bed time cereal and the bottle at 19:00 (started giving bed time cereal as she started wake up in night so we tried to see if she slept thru- didn't help but she absolutely loves this meal. Aim for next week is try for bottle, lunch and dinner meal times.

Am going to start her on meat this week or the week after,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Hi all :) I've a quick question! My daughter hates the smell of fish so as the doting Nana I've been given the task of cooking salmon for my grandsons 1st taste of fish.

Now, she has a lot of pureed veg ready to go in the freezer so I just need to know how I do the salmon so she can just add it to what she has already prepared. Also, can it be frozen? I've a load of those little plastic pots ready to go!!

(He's not ready for lumpier food just yet)

Chucken wrote: »
    Hi all :) I've a quick question! My daughter hates the smell of fish so as the doting Nana I've been given the task of cooking salmon for my grandsons 1st taste of fish.

Now, she has a lot of pureed veg ready to go in the freezer so I just need to know how I do the salmon so she can just add it to what she has already prepared. Also, can it be frozen? I've a load of those little plastic pots ready to go!!

I just wrap the salmon in tin foil with a little butter & mixed herbs. Put it in the oven @ 200ºC for 20 mins.
    When it's done I take it out of the tin foil & let it sit for a few mins then flake with a fork.
    Yes it can be frozen, no problem there.

• Advertisement

I make fish pie with veg in it topped with mash. You can parboil the veg then add to the fish and when all cooked, purée until smooth. . A silicone muffin case is perfect size for a baby and once frozen you can peel off the case and pop them into a ziplock bag so you have the cases for your next batch of freezer meals such as shepherds pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Thanks for the replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I put my salmon fillets in a microwave bowl - add the juice of an orange and cover in cling - then pop in microwave and it steams it! Got this very handy trick from Annabel karmel. I then flake it out and blend with some steamed veg - she recommends to add cheese! I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

dublinlady wrote: »
    I put my salmon fillets in a microwave bowl - add the juice of an orange and cover in cling - then pop in microwave and it steams it! Got this very handy trick from Annabel karmel. I then flake it out and blend with some steamed veg - she recommends to add cheese! I
    How long would it take to steam in the microwave?

I have been weaning my son for about ( weeks now. He's only 21 weeks today so we've been taking it slowly. As of today I'm giving him 3 small solid meals as follows:

7am: 8oz bottle
    10am: 7oz bottle and small porridge bowl w fruit purée
    1pm: 7oz bottle and small amount of mashed banana/peach etc
    4pm: 7oz bottle and bowl veg purée
    7pm: 7oz bottle

So far the solids aren't too big. He always leaves about an oz in the three bottles in the middle of the day. I'm just wondering when do I increase his solids and begin to remove a bottle from him? Should u wait until he's 6 months or begin now?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

yellow hen wrote: »
    I have been weaning my son for about ( weeks now. He's only 21 weeks today so we've been taking it slowly. As of today I'm giving him 3 small solid meals as follows:

7am: 8oz bottle
    10am: 7oz bottle and small porridge bowl w fruit purée
    1pm: 7oz bottle and small amount of mashed banana/peach etc
    4pm: 7oz bottle and bowl veg purée
    7pm: 7oz bottle

So far the solids aren't too big. He always leaves about an oz in the three bottles in the middle of the day. I'm just wondering when do I increase his solids and begin to remove a bottle from him? Should u wait until he's 6 months or begin now?
    I could never understand the removing a bottle thing, my fella is 11 months and he still has four 8oz bottles a day i.e 6am - 7pm roughly, in the 11 months I didn't consciously drop a bottle, I just found if he was full he just wouldn't drink a full one or just refuse it, I still offered him his bottles throughout the day. That is just how it worked for me and J is my first. I just played it by ear. I know its not exactly answering your question.

Could anyone give me an idea of a days food schedule for a 7 month old baby? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

yellow hen wrote: »
    Could anyone give me an idea of a days food schedule for a 7 month old baby? thanks.

Might not be remembering this perfectly now as my one is 14 months now but at 7 months she was on two naps a day and I remember it was sometimes hard to fit in all the bottles and food! Felt like I was constantly feeding her (& cleaning up after) :rolleyes: Anyway think it was roughly:
    7.30/8.30 Wake & 8oz bottle
    10/10.30 Breakfast - fruit & cereal
    11 Nap
    12.30/1 7oz bottle
    2 Lunch (veg & yoghurt)
    3 Nap
    4.30/5 6-7oz bottle
    6 Tea (veg & fruit)
    7.30 8oz bottle & bed

Now sometimes the food was just a couple of spoons and other times she'd gulp it all down.

Hey everyone, weaning going well so far thanks to all the advice I got on here. Trying now to get my 8 1/2 mo to eat the meals we are eating or is it too early to do this? Say if we were having like a spag bol made with pasta sauce from a jar is that a no no to give to my lo? Any suggestions of other meals we could make that could be mashed or blended up for this age baby please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hey everyone, weaning going well so far thanks to all the advice I got on here. Trying now to get my 8 1/2 mo to eat the meals we are eating or is it too early to do this? Say if we were having like a spag bol made with pasta sauce from a jar is that a no no to give to my lo? Any suggestions of other meals we could make that could be mashed or blended up for this age baby please?

They can eat away anything at that age. I held off on meat and eggs til 9 months.

If you don't cook yourself, just mind the salt content on sauce jars. Some are vry high for a baby.

You can mash up anything. Meat, spud and veg. Curry and rice. Pasta with sauce. Sandwiches can be cut into finger food. Porridge. Fish is nice and soft, easy to digest. Fish with spuds and veg was a fav in our house.

Advertisement