Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Proof God Exists?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Hey I posted this in the A&A forum already, but I'd be interested to know what ye Christians think of this site that claims to "prove God exists".

Its in the format of a quiz, only takes a couple of minutes!

http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/

It really does put into perspective how delusional and self deceptive some Christians can get.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Standman wrote: »
    It really does put into perspective how delusional and self deceptive some Christians can get.
    Would you care to elaborate on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

If you visit the site there it will give you all the elaboration you need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Hey I posted this in the A&A forum already, but I'd be interested to know what ye Christians think of this site that claims to "prove God exists".

Its in the format of a quiz, only takes a couple of minutes!

http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/

Very silly website

The problem is that there aren't enough answers. :)

For example I don't believe absolute moral laws exist (ie external to humans) but I still don't think raping children is "fun" ... strangely those are the only two answers available :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Wicknight wrote: »
    Very silly website

The problem is that there aren't enough answers. :)

For example I don't believe absolute moral laws exist (ie external to humans) but I still don't think raping children is "fun" ... strangely those are the only two answers available :rolleyes:
    yep, what wicknight said.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yes, same thing happened when I tried it. Bit of a "2 plus 2 equals 22" situation. Stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Yes it kept telling me how irrational I was for not thinking that because something wasn't black it had to be white.

Very frustrating.

Its a totally stupid website. If you select an option that it doesn't agree with it basically declares that you're wrong and then makes you to choose again (bit like the Irish government...)

When i selected that I believe the laws of logic and science (with 'the law of morality' tacked onto it) are 'material' (which is a stupid option but it is closer to my beliefs than to say that they are 'immaterial') it just said 'well, do you see them anywhere? you must be wrong'

Balls to that (excuse my french)

Asking loaded questions with artificially limited answers is so transparently dishonest (or extremely ignorant) that it's actually making me quite angry to think about it.

Something I found interesting about it is how it blatantly displays the common Christian arrogance regarding Morality. In the question on absolute morality it asks you to answer based on what morals are true for YOU, not considering what morals may be acceptable for other people. Then a few questions later it declares that these absolute morals are universal/unchangeable. What does this tell us?

Your views on morals are right/unchangeable, whatever you believe to be moral is universal. It doesn't matter what other people think, you are right.

Is it any wonder there is so much intolerance in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

What does this tell us?
    I am waiting with baited breath to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

The Proof that God exists is that without Him you couldn't prove anything - ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Kinda dumb. No discussion available.

Something I found interesting about it is how it blatantly displays the common Christian arrogance regarding Morality. In the question on absolute morality it asks you to answer based on what morals are true for YOU, not considering what morals may be acceptable for other people. Then a few questions later it declares that these absolute morals are universal/unchangeable. What does this tell us?

Your views on morals are right/unchangeable, whatever you believe to be moral is universal. It doesn't matter what other people think, you are right.

Is it any wonder there is so much intolerance in the world?

Sounds like your intolerant with someone who would make up such an exercise?

That's silly, you're silly! I'm intolerant of you! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I'd love to see this translated into formal logic :D

I don't think anyone should take this seriously. There are enough flaws here that I don't know where to begin taking it apart.

Well actually... let's start at a rigorous definition of "truth".

Skipping ahead seven or eight points, his conclusion is fallacious:

"The Proof that God exists is that without Him you couldn't prove anything."

He's saying:
    1: If god does not exist, nothing can be proven
    2: The statement above has been proven
    3: Therefore god exists

However, his proof of 2 is "Only in a universe governed by God can universal, immaterial, unchanging laws exist."
    So he's using the existence of god to prove 2, which proves the existence of god. This is a logical fallacy called "begging the question". I'd have to say, I doubt he'd listen if I told him, though.

If you're looking for a really compelling "proof" of the existence of god, take a look at the ontological argument. Now, that's a genuinely elegant argument, though it's flawed in it's own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Fremen wrote: »
    I'd love to see this translated into formal logic :D
    A=¬A

/head explodes

If you're looking for a really compelling "proof" of the existence of god, take a look at the ontological argument. Now, that's a genuinely elegant argument, though it's flawed in it's own way.
    The ontological argument is just as rubbish as this one.

God is that which no greater can be conceived

Existence is better than non existence

Therefore, god must exist.

Its nonsense.

It starts off with an arbitrary definition and uses that definition to prove that god exists. it also confers a value to existence or non existence that is not necessarily true.

I can say
    A chair is anything you can sit on

You can sit on the ground

Therefore, the ground is a chair.

The problem with logic is that it doesn't have much to say about whether or not the premises are accurate.

Stop being intolerant of my intolerance! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

ROFL.

Therefore tolerance cannot exist.

Rats, can't come up with a witty comeback. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Akrasia wrote: »
    The ontological argument is just as rubbish as this one.

God is that which no greater can be conceived

Existence is better than non existence

Therefore, god must exist.

Its nonsense.

It starts off with an arbitrary definition and uses that definition to prove that god exists. it also confers a value to existence or non existence that is not necessarily true.

I can say
    A chair is anything you can sit on

You can sit on the ground

Therefore, the ground is a chair.

The problem with logic is that it doesn't have much to say about whether or not the premises are accurate.

I didn't say it wasn't incorrect, I said it was elegant. You could rephrase it as if God is that which no greater can be conceived and if Existence is better than non existence, then god exists

As far as I can see, when you include the "if" statements, it's a logically reasonable proposition, at least on the surface.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I didn't say it wasn't incorrect, I said it was elegant. You could rephrase it as if God is that which no greater can be conceived and if Existence is better than non existence, then god exists

As far as I can see, when you include the "if" statements, it's a logically reasonable proposition, at least on the surface.

Another less obvious flaw is that existence is not a property. Also, why use god as the standard of perfection, when you could easily imagine something more plausible, such as a perfect cake or an island?

By the logic of the ontological argument, all of these things must exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

when you could easily imagine something more plausible, such as a perfect cake or an island?

would definately prefer a perfect cake to a god, mmm cake :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

MooseJam wrote: »
    would definately prefer a perfect cake to a god, mmm cake :)

Presumably you'd need god to make this cake though. Therefore, god exists. ;)

Presumably you'd need god to make this cake though. Therefore, god exists. ;)
    I dunno about that, my mother used to make a savage cheesecake... wait a minute? maybe that means she is god?!?

Descartes version, that we can 'clearly and distinctly perceive' a perfect being therefore it must be true is even more ridiculous than Anselm's argument.

First of all. I have never met anyone who can clearly articulate what their perception of god actually is (ie, give the detailed properties of that god and defend them against criticism) And if there are two people out there who claim to have a 'clear and distinct perception' of god, it is very likely that their versions of god will have at least some differences from each other.

If the definition of god is a 'perfect being' then we're just applying our own particular idea of what we believe perfection is. To recycle the cake analogy, My perfect cake might be a cheesecake, your perfect cake might be a chocolate gateaux.

The second part is that as long as we have a clear and distinct perception, we can trust our intellect not to deceive us (eg, 2+2=4 as long as we're doing the calculations at that moment)
    We can have a clear and distinct perception of what a perfect circle is and articulate it using maths and geometry, but that doesn't mean such a thing as a perfect circle even exists outside our own minds (in a physical world if you go down small enough you'll eventually find gaps in the circle or deviations from the circular form) We can conceive a perfect minotaur with all the properties that we believe a minotaur should have, doesn't mean it exists.

The human mind finds things that aren't always there, and sometimes the longer we think about things, the more confused we get.

enigma780.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ptge

Hey Ladies! Well, here I am, delusional, and self decpetive ol' me :D

Thanks for posting the link to my site (it showed up on my traffic log). I'll try to pop in here once in a while to see if anyone wishes to post a refutation, but so far all I have seen is venting.

Cheers,

Sye

ptge wrote: »
    I'll try to pop in here once in a while to see if anyone wishes to post a refutation, but so far all I have seen is venting.
    Bit rich to be asking for a rationally argued refutation perhaps?

Sean_K wrote: »
    Bit rich to be asking for a rationally argued refutation perhaps?

Bit rich to be knocking the site without offering one perhaps?

ptge wrote: »
    Bit rich to be knocking the site without offering one perhaps?

Have you read this thread (all pages?) There are already plenty of refutations.

For a start you provide a very limited number of answers to each question, and then when they user clicks the "wrong" answer you simply instruct them that they are wrong

Hardly a logical proof of God now is it. Why dont you just have one question - "Does God exist" - and if the users picks no you simply inform them that God does in fact exist. There you have logically proven God's existence :rolleyes:

Have you read this thread (all pages?) There are already plenty of refutations.

The proof is quite simply that proof of anything is impossible without God. If anyone here wishes to refute the proof, please demonstrate how proof of anything is possible without God.

Cheers,

Sye

• Advertisement

ptge wrote:
    If anyone here wishes to refute the proof, please demonstrate how proof of anything is possible without God.
    Well.... by way of contradiction, the pythagorean theorem:
    pythagorean-theorem-2.gif

No god involved.

Advertisement