Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Jesus about to return?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

JimiTime wrote: »
    There'll still be people saying, 'its a coincidence', when disaster after disaster strike though.

It should be a trivial matter to analyse the frequency and severity of natural disasters and determine whether they are occurring at an elevated frequency. We have at least a century of worldwide records to use as a reference point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

PDN wrote: »
    You want us to have a special set of made up rules instead of using the standard rules and conventions of the academic world? Then, if we did so, no doubt you would accuse us of being irrational.

Ah stop being so defensive, I just find it odd that you treat a document that so obviously holds the truth in such a liberal fashion. For example, Islam seems to be quite strict in their application of quoting the Quran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

right, ok, but will he only raise the christians from the dead?
    or will he be the type of God i would like - one that doesn't really care what religion you are? seen as Jesus was Jewish and all...

Oh, don't worry, He will raise the non-Christian as well. However, I don't think you will like what happens next ......
    Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. (Revelation 20:11-15)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Who is deliberately distorting truth, or who accused anyone of distorting truth?

I don't care whether you quote the KJV or any other version. As a moderator I have asked you to link to scripture another way rather than using an anti-Christian propaganda site. There is no 'sloppy argument from analogy'. The needless linking to such a source, when you can easily link to scripture via a non-antagonistic source or by cutting and pasting, can serve no purpose but to antagonise the natives. My use of the Ken Hamm illustration was simply to try to get you to think how you would feel if the situation was reversed.

Is there really any need to get snotty over a simple and polite mod request?
    Your post had an insinuation I was quoting scripture inaccurately because I was using an unreliable source. The source you suggested gave the exact same quote.

My suggestion would therefore be update your charter to suggest which websites are allowed and not allowed when quoting scripture.

Personally, I think skepticsannotatedbible is an excellant source for topics concerning Christian scripture. It is the only site I know which hyperlinks parts of the scripture that can be considered to be contradictory. This is part of the central aim of theology to resolve contradictions and this approach leads to more challenging discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

It should be a trivial matter to analyse the frequency and severity of natural disasters and determine whether they are occurring at an elevated frequency. We have at least a century of worldwide records to use as a reference point.

So you would except it that biblical prophecy was indeed coming to pass? I.E. it predicted accurately that this would happen, 2000 years ago?

• Advertisement

Oh, don't worry, He will raise the non-Christian as well. However, I don't think you will like what happens next ......

What would happened if you made it to Heaven but got so bored you wanted to leave?

So you would except it that biblical prophecy was indeed coming to pass? I.E. it predicted accurately that this would happen, 2000 years ago?

But a prediction of man destroying the earth, or the earth being destroyed, is not unique to the bible, in fairness. Probably every human is history has 'predicted' this at some stage or the other.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

But a prediction of man destroying the earth, or the earth being destroyed, is not unique to the bible, in fairness. Probably every human is history has 'predicted' this at some stage or the other.

Heck, the Mayans predicted the world would end in 2012. I think they overshot the mark considering their calendar outlasted them.

In any case, wouldn't this be Jesus' third coming? I mean, he rose from the dead before. Shouldn't that have counted as the second coming?

What would happened if you made it to Heaven but got so bored you wanted to leave?

Extremely unlikely, I think. For the Christian, eternal life has started already and heaven will be an intensification and continuation of what we are already experiencing. Having lived life as a non-Christian and now as a Christian, boredom is definitely not something I associate with eternal life. I'm having an absolute blast living as a Christian, and I think heaven will be even better. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

the dead being raised from their graves etc.
    Now, that's something I'd like to see.

"You married who after I died?!" <slap>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

God is starting to sound worse and worse with these type of posts... why cant we all go to summerland (pagan place that is)- that sounds nicer to me, no evil entity or lake of fire..

So, he pulls up the Buddist monks (as i asked earlier and nobody replied) He throws them into hell? yes or no?

robindch wrote: »
    Now, that's something I'd like to see.

"You married who after I died?!" <slap>

:D:D:D

could be funny...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

the dead being raised from their graves etc.

What do you think will happen to those who have been incinerated, etc?

Also if God does not make the risen dead walk slowly with their arms extended, I will know he has NO sense of humour.

SDooM wrote: »
    Hadn't thought of that!

Also if God does not make the risen dead walk slowly with their arms extended, I will know he has NO sense of humour.
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

TBH, thats the response I'd expect. i think if all the biblical prophecy was coming to pass, it'd still be explained away. IMO its the way god intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Galvasean wrote: »
    In any case, wouldn't this be Jesus' third coming? I mean, he rose from the dead before. Shouldn't that have counted as the second coming?

Serious question guys (I think it got missed).
    Why do people call the Rapture the 'second coming'?

TBH, thats the response I'd expect. i think if all the biblical prophecy was coming to pass, it'd still be explained away. IMO its the way god intended.

'When the facts don't fit the frame, the frame is kept and the facts are ignored.' A wise man once said.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Serious question guys (I think it got missed).
    Why do people call the Rapture the 'second coming'?

Because, when Jesus was lying in the grave, "He hadn't gone away you know" (to paraphrase Gerry Adams).

Extremely unlikely, I think. For the Christian, eternal life has started already and heaven will be an intensification and continuation of what we are already experiencing. Having lived life as a non-Christian and now as a Christian, boredom is definitely not something I associate with eternal life. I'm having an absolute blast living as a Christian, and I think heaven will be even better. :)
    Do you reckon your happier than Tom Cruise and his pumped up scientology?

Do you reckon your happier than Tom Cruise and his pumped up scientology?

I certainly do. If I had a choice between having Tom's money and fame, but also his broken marriage, I'd value my very happy and successful marriage much higher.

I certainly am not claiming to be the happiest person on earth, but my experience is that the Christian life is exciting and fulfilling. Much more fun than speed!

• Advertisement

Because, when Jesus was lying in the grave, "He hadn't gone away you know" (to paraphrase Gerry Adams).
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PDN viewpost.gif

God is starting to sound worse and worse with these type of posts... why cant we all go to summerland (pagan place that is)- that sounds nicer to me, no evil entity or lake of fire..

So, he pulls up the Buddist monks (as i asked earlier and nobody replied) He throws them into hell? yes or no?

any answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I certainly do. If I had a choice between having Tom's money and fame, but also his broken marriage, I'd value my very happy and successful marriage much higher.

I certainly am not claiming to be the happiest person on earth, but my experience is that the Christian life is exciting and fulfilling. Much more fun than speed!

I don't know, Tom Cruise looks pretty freaking happy!!!

2007-06-26TomCruise.jpg

Shows how happy picking the right religion can make you :pac:

Hadn't thought of that!

Most Christians I talk to have thought of that.

Incinerated or buried, I don't think it makes much difference. After a few years of being worm food in the ground then there's not that much difference anyway. Our resurrection body will be a new glorious body, and that will hardly be a problem for an omnipotent God. Therefore it doesn't matter whether you are buried, incinerated, eaten by a shark etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Probably a few little clues will give the game away. Things like every eye seeing Him coming in glory, the dead being raised from their graves etc.

So there'll be Zombies????

man I hate them.

Wicknight wrote: »
    I don't know, Tom Cruise looks pretty freaking happy!!!

2007-06-26TomCruise.jpg

Shows how happy picking the right religion can make you :pac:

Correct, his religion don't even need psychiatry.

Most Christians I talk to have thought of that.

Incinerated or buried, I don't think it makes much difference. After a few years of being worm food in the ground then there's not that much difference anyway. Our resurrection body will be a new glorious body, and that will hardly be a problem for an omnipotent God. Therefore it doesn't matter whether you are buried, incinerated, eaten by a shark etc.

So in that case, heaven becomes a physical realm in the end times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Our resurrection body will be a new glorious body, and that will hardly be a problem for an omnipotent God.

What will it look like? What age will you be? Is it the body you had when you died? Can you have a different body if you want (eg can a transexual come back as a women instead of a man?)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think the OP is referring to "those who destroy the earth" and applying it to climate change - a fair point IMHO.
    Those who destroy the earth in relation to Climate change is basically, everyone.

(and especially every consumer living in western society (I don't include people like the homeless and extreme environmentalists whose ecological footprint is negligable)

Akrasia wrote: »
    Those who destroy the earth in relation to Climate change is basically, everyone.

(and especially every consumer living in western society (I don't include people like the homeless and extreme environmentalists whose ecological footprint is negligable)

That's a good point.

Anyone who has been in a plane has done significant damage to the planet.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    So there'll be Zombies????

man I hate them.

Depends on how creative you want to be with language (or how keen you are on trolling).

Most definitions or understandings of Zombie include at least one of the following traits which do not apply to the Christian resurrection:
    1. A dead body is raised from the grave but still corrupted.
    2. A dead body is raised but lacks the mental and reasoning powers the person possessed before they died.
    3. A witch doctor would raise a zombie to be an unwilling slave.
    4. A dead person rises from the grave to gain revenge against an enemy.

Anyone trollish enough to start calling Jesus a zombie will earn a ban.

Advertisement