Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why doesn't God just kill Satan

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Heres a brief synopsis of how I understand the bible story

* God created perfect man
    * Satan proved perfect man could not stay faithful to God
    * God made man imperfect because of this sin
    * Satan then posed the question that imperfect man could not stay faithful
    * God tested Job who proved imperfect man could stay faithful
    * To give humans the opportunity to become perfect again God sent his son to earth
    * Jesus proved that perfect man could stay faithful to God
    * Since both imperfect and perfect man had now been proven that they could stay faithful, God put in place a system whereby those who stayed faithful while imperfect would attain perfection when they died
    * This testing period will end at Armageddon when mankind has gotten to the point when no imperfect man has the ability to believe in God anymore

Interesting way to look at it. So (to connect it with the original post) God doesn't kill Satan because Satan is his test and he needs the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

L31mr0d wrote: »
    * This testing period will end at Armageddon when mankind has gotten to the point when no imperfect man has the ability to believe in God anymore
    Hello, I don't understand this last point because we're all imperfect. Can you clarify please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Interesting way to look at it. So (to connect it with the original post) God doesn't kill Satan because Satan is his test and he needs the test.
    I think that's the way I understand it. Satan is God's tool which He uses to test us. The thing to remember is that God never tests us beyone our ability to resist temptation. If we give in to temptation, it's because we consent to sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello, I don't understand this last point because we're all imperfect. Can you clarify please?

The last point is not that we are imperfect but that the remaining humans that aren't faithful will never become faithful so there is no reason for the test to continue any longer.

From my study into the bible story I'd say yes, but God didn't create the test, Satan did by asking the questions. Both questions have already been answered though by Job and Jesus respectively. Satan has already been proved wrong on both counts and from Revelations will be destroyed shortly after Armageddon, his sole purpose now is to separate the faithful from the unfaithful by whatever means he can.

My problem with this story though is that, for Catholics, when Satan is destroyed what happens to all the humans in Hell? The bible never covers this because the bible makes no mention anywhere of hell even existing.

Advertisement