Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

• 13-03-2004 7:09pm
    Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got this yesterday, id been waiting for this to come out for ages.
    Didnt like it at all! i just found it really boring and slow-paced. Turned it off after 2 hours of being bored stupid and went back to Metroid: Zero Mission (beat mother brain!).
    Anyone else got it and what did you think?
    Its going back on a 10 day return tomorrow for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

What is it?
    Is it the old ones, just for the GameCube?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

it is a party game. closest way of describing it is what nintendo did to mario kart with double dash. they took a finely balanced and refined game mechanic that was as enjoyable in single player mode as multiplayer and stripped all single player enjoyment and made it so unbalanced and random as to remove any need for skill.

now imagine that happening to secret of mana(this is a final fantasy game in name only). remove any meaningful leveling up, remove any ai controlled players(bar the chalice holding mog), add a pinch of diablo style dungeon romping, add a meaningless world map, remove any stoyline you can find and finally add in nintendo's mantra of **** the consumer by forcing the purchase of gba's to extract any enjoyment. that is essentially ff:cc

the only redeming quality of this monotonous hack 'n bore fest is the graphics. they are beautiful.

this square fanboy says: avoid like herpes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I heard it sucks harder than the whore of babylon vacuuming her drinking straw collection. Judging by those comments ill be avoiding it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Theres no way to know how good a game is until you've played it the way it's intended, and even though it's been getting mixed reviews and some fairly knowledgable people dislike it, I'm gonna buy it, and if it's crap rainbow kirby and DiscoStu can beat me up for my ignorance. BTW I heard it was worth buying just for the music, is the soundtrack that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It would be an interesting game to play with three people, but expences such as getting four Game Boy Advances (which isn't really a issue) and four cables (that's your problem) will leave this one on the shelf for me.

The fact that it is also an untraditional Diablo-like RPG is fairly disapointing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    Theres no way to know how good a game is until you've played it the way it's intended, and even though it's been getting mixed reviews and some fairly knowledgable people dislike it, I'm gonna buy it, and if it's crap rainbow kirby and DiscoStu can beat me up for my ignorance. BTW I heard it was worth buying just for the music, is the soundtrack that good?

The music and graphics are pretty, its just i found the game boring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got it on Saturday and I have to say that it is really enjoyable playing as a knacker, sorry I mean caravanner, and a good laugh. However I haven't touched single player mode and have been playing it in co-op with Praetorian. Multiplayer is very enjoyable but I'd say single-player would suck since your on your own and theres no strategy for fusing spells etc.

What really annoyed me was that you need a GBA for multiplayer. My brother was dying to play it but he couldn't because we only had 2 GBAs between all of us. It would have been far better with 3 people.

The soundtrack is very good but not as epic as the other soundtracks of the series. Theres no story to speak of but it would get annoying in a multiplayer game to sit through reams of dialogue. And it was funny when Preatorian was commenting on how all the caravanners were way too friendly and 15 minutes later we got robbed by another group.

It seems kind of short also but it will be prolonged since Praetorian has a habit of using clear instead of cure :D

The graphics are beautiful. I thought it looked a bit naff from screenshots but when you see it moving its a different story. It even has shaders which I thought the GC couldn't do until I saw this and MGS: Twin Snakes.

If you have nobody to play this with then avoid. But if you have someone that will play it regularly then its quite a good game. Not a great one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    What really annoyed me was that you need a GBA for multiplayer. My brother was dying to play it but he couldn't because we only had 2 GBAs between all of us. It would have been far better with 3 people.
    Ok, looks like I wont be buying it, I don't have a GBA, why do you need them for mp anyway? Is it worth playing at all in single player?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Its very repetitive in single player and there isn't much of a story to speak of. You need a GBA because Nintendo wants your money. Theres no reason that they couldn't put micro menus on the screen. Also anyone else find the GBA screens very dark when you are using an ordinary GBA?

Theres a free GBA to GC link cable free with the game. Its not much but it helps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

here's a promo for the game... http://www.yourfinalfantasy.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It's very repetitive so far, but quite enjoyable. Retrogamer dies all the time, so it's kind of like helping an old lady accross the road (tedious). I think he's currently looking for the cheats. The graphics are surprisingly good, better than that silly remake of Metal Gear Solid (GC) that I was playing last night :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

does the GBA to GC link cable you get with it only do one GBA ? or does it work for 4 ?

Its just the one unfortunately. However you can get a set of 4 unofficial ones for quite cheap. Saw them a while ago in game for 8 yoyos for the 4.

Advertisement