Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

list of exchanges with less than 24Mbs available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JrdiH

Getting 17mb on vodafone in Kilcormac, Co Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

JrdiH wrote: »

I'd love that speed

Meant to get 3Mb/s in Kilmihil - but it has been suffering from serious congestion for a couple of years now.

Speed right now:
    4649847250.png

It remains at this speed until just after midnight, then it slowly goes back up to the max of 2.55Mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

JrdiH wrote: »

Thats an up to 24 exchange, not the topic of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 David Maye

Township of Cloonkerry. 3.5 Mb Max 3mile from Ballinrobe Exchange.

One mile from Ballinrobe up to 18 Mb and higher with fibre.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

Kells exchange in kilkenny.
    Just awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Just ouside Ardee Co. Louth
    IMG_3250.png

Yet the Vodafone line checker gives me this
    IMG_3249.png

After complaining, I was told my line can only take 3mb. How are they allowed advertise 24-100 if so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

They advertise it as "up to" 24Mb which means it can get up to 24Mb doesn't mean they will actually deliver those speeds they have their asses covered in the terms and conditions when you sign up for this.

Also as an example I have Sky fibre it's advertised as "upto" 100Mb I'm far from the local exchange so I get 25Mb Which is an increase over my older "upto" 24Mb connection which I i only got 13Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

jay93 wrote: »
    They advertise it as "up to" 24Mb which means it can get up to 24Mb doesn't mean they will actually deliver those speeds they have their asses covered in the terms and conditions when you sign up for this.

Also as an example I have Sky fibre it's advertised as "upto" 100Mb I'm far from the local exchange so I get 25Mb Which is an increase over my older "upto" 24Mb connection which I i only got 13Mb.

I know this but in all fairness that image looks more like 24 up to 100mb. Either way, 3mb from a promised "up to 24" is a joke. If I had went through as a new customer there I'd be raging. What is the point of checking the line if it's going to be so inaccurate :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

millington wrote: »
    I know this but in all fairness that image looks more like 24 up to 100mb. Either way, 3mb from a promised "up to 24" is a joke. If I had went through as a new customer there I'd be raging. What is the point of checking the line if it's going to be so inaccurate :o

True. They should have a proper line speed checker when signing upto them.

http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/ if you input your number into digiwebs line checker it will give the proper max speed your line can take unlike vodafones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

jay93 wrote: »
    True. They should have a proper line speed checker when signing upto them.

http://business.digiweb.ie/linechecker/ if you input your number into digiwebs line checker it will give the proper max speed your line can take unlike vodafones.

I think it's only on VDSL lines that they can give you the accurate reading from the line checker. I don't believe they have it for the ADSL/ADSL2+ lines (but would be happy to be wrong).

• Advertisement

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I think it's only on VDSL lines that they can give you the accurate reading from the line checker. I don't believe they have it for the ADSL/ADSL2+ lines (but would be happy to be wrong).

All lines.

Vodafone just hide the info, they have it same as the rest but chose not to display it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

East Cork - Geragh Road/Ballinacurra

2.6Mbps - Maximum: 3.5Mbps. Pathetic really.

Also about 100 yards away from a local TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Borrisoleigh exchange maximum 7mb
    I'm a good few km away 2.2 to 2.5mbps all the time with a Netopia router
    Max 1.8mbps with Zyxel router

I think the Holycross exchange is 7mb max aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Kilmacthomas Exchange getting max 512kb due to the distance from the exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

Greystones, Wicklow.
    Digiweb & Eircom line checker; 4mb. Confirmed with Digiweb tech support.
    Max achievable; ~3.2Mbps. Typical download speed = ~2Mbps.
    On 8Gb NGB plan. No UPC available.

olewy wrote: »
    Greystones, Wicklow.
    Digiweb & Eircom line checker; 4mb. Confirmed with Digiweb tech support.
    Max achievable; ~3.2Mbps. Typical download speed = ~2Mbps.
    On 8Gb NGB plan. No UPC available.

By your own admission NOT the topic of this thread. This is about radio exchanges (Such as powerscourt not so far from yourself). WLW is full NGA/NGN and on core routes to Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

ED E wrote: »
    By your own admission NOT the topic of this thread. This is about radio exchanges (Such as powerscourt not so far from yourself). WLW is full NGA/NGN and on core routes to Wexford.

LOUD and clear. Thanks.
    Re NGA/NGN; OT but not according to the Eircom & Digiweb checker;
    Exchange Code: Unknown
    DSL Enabled: Yes - 4 MB
    NGB Enabled: Yes - 4 MB
    Fibre Enabled: No
    LLU Enabled: No

Thats all about your line, not about the exchange.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Thanks - I suspected as much...

Exchange is currently ADSL1 , so barely getting 0.8Mbs on average and usually a lot less..

In terms of exchanges/cabinets - Is there a rule of thumb regarding how many cabinets they install in the foot-print of an exchange for VDSL?

My exchange is a rural one , currently in the centre of a small village , I'd estimate that about 50% of the lines currently connected to it would be 2km+ from the current location. so if they want to get to most users they'll have to install cabinets.. I assume.
    They might add VDSL cabs in the surrounding area in a few years, but for now they wont as its not economical compared to housing estates.

When the exchange goes to NGN you'll get 8Mb ADSL2+ and people in the centre of the village will get up to 100Mb VDSL2.

Sorry for dragging this back up..

My exchange is finally scheduled for upgrade to fiber in the next few weeks, however when I spoke to Eir today they tell me that nothing is going to change for me.

I'm about 3.5Km from the exchange so will not get fibre , but was hoping that I'd get a speed improvement when fibre came in due to improved backhaul - My SNR info etc. suggests that I'd get around 10mb/s on ADSL2+ if the backhaul was there (I'd even get ~7Mb/s on ADSL1 with better backhaul)

Does that mean that they are not planning to upgrade the "old" exchange to ADSL2+ and just leave people outside the fibre range on the legacy ADSL1 horrorshow that we currently have?

Is there a standard policy when they upgrade exchanges or do they decide on a case by case basis on whether to retire the ADSL1 connections?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Duplicate

• Advertisement

My exchange is finally scheduled for upgrade to fiber in the next few weeks, however when I spoke to Eir today they tell me that nothing is going to change for me.

I'm about 3.5Km from the exchange so will not get fibre , but was hoping that I'd get a speed improvement when fibre came in due to improved backhaul - My SNR info etc. suggests that I'd get around 10mb/s on ADSL2+ if the backhaul was there (I'd even get ~7Mb/s on ADSL1 with better backhaul)

Does that mean that they are not planning to upgrade the "old" exchange to ADSL2+ and just leave people outside the fibre range on the legacy ADSL1 horrorshow that we currently have?

Is there a standard policy when they upgrade exchanges or do they decide on a case by case basis on whether to retire the ADSL1 connections?

It will happen sometime but the people you contact in eir wont know, only OpenEir will.

No guarantee they bother with an ADSL2+ rack but definitely should go NGB to get you up to 6.5Mb consistently.

As soon as people start moving to fibre in the village/town itself the congestion should start to reduce naturally.

It will happen sometime but the people you contact in eir wont know, only OpenEir will.

No guarantee they bother with an ADSL2+ rack but definitely should go NGB to get you up to 6.5Mb consistently.

As soon as people start moving to fibre in the village/town itself the congestion should start to reduce naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

the local exchange was due to be upgraded this year ....the web page now says between 2017-20 ....but should I take heart that 2 openeir vans were down at the hut all day ?....or would it just be maintenance

They've just come back to me to confirm that they are doing neither ADSL2+ OR NextGen..

Exchange is being left at ADSL1.... Ahhhh!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

They've just come back to me to confirm that they are doing neither ADSL2+ OR NextGen..

Same here. Exch has had a big fat fibre pipe on it years (according to the core fibre map). They finally enable eVDSL but leave everything else as. Slow ADSL1 for everyone outside the magical 1.5Km with contention and slow downs at peak times....

I'm told it's the DSLAMs not being able to make use of the full pipe going back to the core network. So effectively nothing has changed. It's actually disappointing. Having no ADSL2 I can live with, but to still have congestion and slow down on an Exch connected to the core network. That's just dire.

That from OpenEir or Eir? If the former that is really really ****ty.

That from OpenEir or Eir? If the former that is really really ****ty.

From Eir...
    I'm sorry to confirm that the launch of fibre will not improve your speeds. I have checked plans with the networks team and the fibre deployment to Quin does not include an ADSL2+ upgrade nor does it involve Next Gen works. Unfortunately eir will be unable to offer you an indication of when to expect faster speeds.

I can only imagine how disappointing this news is however for now I would recommend looking in to the governments 'national broadband plan' which aims to make a minimum of 30Mb speeds to all citizens who currently can't achieve this within the next few years. For more information on this please visit their site at http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/Pages/ProgrammeAndScheme/National-Broadband-Plan.aspx

Sucks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

From Eir...

Sucks.....

I feel your pain.

I am in exactly the same boat, if not slightly worse. My 3Mb/s line can have 2.6 Mb/s dl at 3am but between 6pm and midnight it regularly goes to 0.3Mb/s dl and a few times it stops all together.

I have reported it to vf (my ISP) and have been told it is congestion and they can't do anything unless eir upgrade the exchange.

I have been informed by eir on multiple occasions that there are no plans outside of the 2017-2020 plan.

see thread:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056243287/25

ads20101 wrote: »
    I feel your pain.

I am in exactly the same boat, if not slightly worse. My 3Mb/s line can have 2.6 Mb/s dl at 3am but between 6pm and midnight it regularly goes to 0.3Mb/s dl and a few times it stops all together.

I have reported it to vf (my ISP) and have been told it is congestion and they can't do anything unless eir upgrade the exchange.

I have been informed by eir on multiple occasions that there are no plans outside of the 2017-2020 plan.

see thread:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056243287/25

I'm exactly the same - Can get 2.6/2.7Mb/s in the very early morning , but after that it falls off the world to way below 0.5Mb/s - This latest news means that I too am now stuck until the Government community broadband thing happens - If ever...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 JPC2006

I having same issues really bad broadband speeds.. The best i can get is around 1.8mb. Sometimes i would only get 0.5mb. i am living just outside Duleek co Meath.. The cabinet i am out of is DLK1-004

Advertisement