Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pressure cooker recipes

• 07-09-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

i have a pressure cooker sitting in a press for years but have only used it a handful of times. I'm not really sure what to do with it. Can you cook normal veggies in it or must it be saucy stew like dishes?

Does it taste as good as if you cooked it in a normal pan?

Finally any easy least recipes? Particularly a good stew recipe and any vegetarian recipes.

Ta :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most veg would be best done by steaming it in the pressure cooker. You probably got racks for it? or you can get those steaming foldy things.

mbW4u0Rq2ZsGLsd8ZDfveVQ.jpg

You would need to know your pressure to follow recipies. Most on sale here these days only go to 10 or 12psi, older ones go to 15psi which means they cook a lot faster.

If you do not want stuff overcooked you must be careful with the heat up and cool down times. e.g. if you have it on a really low power it would take a long time to get to 15psi, but would be steaming all that time, and if you turn off the hob and leave it then the heat from the ring will continue to heat it and continue cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks. Yes I have a metal thing that sits into it. You could only have a tiny bit of water under it though, is that right?

I tried potatoes on it once and they were awful. So I haven't used it since until recently. Lately I've used it for lentils and chickpeas, not an actual recipe just pre cooking for falafel and the likes.

I'm hoping to make a rich, low salt, stew this week in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Works amazing for oxtail and other off cuts. Did a stew with the former and it only took an hour in the pressure cooker whereas it should've taken at least 6 hours if cooked normally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Great for cooking beans. I use it for black beans when making frijoles, beans are cooked in 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I use mine for cooking ox-tongue, it's done in an hour instead of many steaming, greasy hours on the hob!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I have made a pork curry with diced pork pieces and it took only 5 mins at full pressure, then turn off and let the pressure reduce by itself. Turned out perfect.

I also tried pork leg (a joint 1.5kg) pot roast. Browned leg joint in pot, added onions, stock 300ml, and cooked at full pressure for 25mins, and the joint was very easy to carve, was firm but very tender and moist.
    (ok it helped that the pork was my own free range but that's another story)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 woman.

I use my pressure cooker every day, for most things, boil potatoes in 3 mins (and imagine how many nutrients you save by not boiling them for 20 mins), soups, I love sauces so I do ragus, goulash, any sorts of meat in sauce etc

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Curried lamb shanks in 45 mins. Yum!

Gonna try osso buco next.

F.

Advertisement