Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Perfect Burger ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I made a few burgers at the weekend and experimented by adding about 150g of crumbed black pudding to the mix. Gave the burgers a nice kick and flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Triboro wrote: »
    So what kind of spices/herbs do they add to the patties in butcher shops?
    Always seem that bit tastier whatever it is!

I'd say a load of Aromat all purpose seasoning wouldn't be too far off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

I'd say a load of Aromat all purpose seasoning wouldn't be too far off the mark.

Ahh, thought it would be a bit more adventurous than that, must try it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Going to Bunsen for the first time this Friday, so excited! :) AND they have skinny fries, yay. I get to escape the chunky chip tyranny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Triboro wrote: »
    So what kind of spices/herbs do they add to the patties in butcher shops?
    Always seem that bit tastier whatever it is!

I like dried, or perferably fresh, Parsley in the meat. Aldi have nice parsely in Jars for 35c, does the job perfecto. Dont forget your salt and black pepper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Burger patties should have one ingredient: minced beef. Minimum 15% fat. I like the Angus mince from Aldi or Hereford from my local butcher or Lidl. Angus had the best fat content.

I weigh out 1/4 pounds of mince, form them into a ball and then squash them flat into a patty. Season with salt and black pepper immediately before it hits the grill.

I always cook my burgers on the highest heat my gas BBQ can provide. I never cook them on my charcoal BBQ.

Cook the burgers until medium rare and put whatever toppings YOU enjoy on. Burgers are one of the most personal foods there are. I don't criticise anyone's topping choice. Personally I like cheese, bacon, BBQ sauce, fried egg and grilled red onion. Missus like guacamole and such, so i make her that.

Of all the commercially available burgers in Dublin the best I've has is GBK in Liffey Valley. I can't tell you why, but the one time I had it, it was a smashing burger. My favourite burgers of all time are a Red Robin.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I've read this whole thread in the hope of finding a solution to my own particular burger making problem - the toppings. Last weekend I made some with onions, peppers and mushrooms as the topping. Without really thinking about it, I just chopped everything up, but when trying to add this mix to the top of the burger, it just careered off the side, meaning I had to basically eat my meal with a fork to scoop up the detritus.

I wondered after if I should have sliced the onions and peppers around the circumference so I'd end up with large slices that would stay still, but I'm open to ideas.

PS No love for some sausage meat in the patties? Also, when did we start saying 'patties'? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

corblimey wrote: »
    I've read this whole thread in the hope of finding a solution to my own particular burger making problem - the toppings. Last weekend I made some with onions, peppers and mushrooms as the topping. Without really thinking about it, I just chopped everything up, but when trying to add this mix to the top of the burger, it just careered off the side, meaning I had to basically eat my meal with a fork to scoop up the detritus.

I wondered after if I should have sliced the onions and peppers around the circumference so I'd end up with large slices that would stay still, but I'm open to ideas.

PS No love for some sausage meat in the patties? Also, when did we start saying 'patties'? :D

I like minced pork in a burger but haven't tried sausage meat-
    have you got a better word for the raw meat burger that doesn't get confused with the all in bread /meat / fillings burger - :-)
    Try really chopping down your onions and mushrooms then gently frying it so at the end it's nearly more of a paste ( duxelles) then smear that on your bread or meat !! Or as you said slices of onion and slices of big breakfast mushroom fried down -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

corblimey wrote: »

Try using melted cheese to hold it together. Sometimes that works sometimes the cheese slides out too, but yay, melted cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I've been spending a few months trying to get a good burger before I stumbled upon this thread.

Recipe: I am currently using 75% beef and 25% Italian sausage . Now I am lucky as I can mince my own meat. I find the best beef is a reasonably low fat content which kind of goes against what you would think - preferring beef pieces from my local butchers.
    The pork for the Italian sausage is also pretty lean. I suspect it would still be very good with pre-prepared mince (but I would avoid supermarket as I question how long it is in the packet.

Preparing: After making the Italian sausage, I leave for 24-48 hours before making the burgers.
    Each burger (pre-cook) is ~230g which is big. Half that would still be a good size.

Forming: When forming the burger, I only use my hands. As these are big burgers, it is good to have some "cracks" in the middle to allow the center to cook equally.
    Also, when you form them into flat "patties", make a small indentation in the center of both sides with the back of your fingers or a large spoon so your patty is a concave shape. When the burger cooks and the meat expands, it should come out flat rather than the rounded (convex), oval shape you sometimes see with home made burgers (meaning toppings are hard to stay on).
    Cooking: Turn as little as possible. Medium high heat (I always use outside grill). No press (need to keep moisture in).

Sauce on the bottom bun. If you put it on top of the burger and then toppings, it tends to slip apart.
    Toppings are always a personal choice

Bun: I also make my own buns (link) and honestly, they are better than anything in the shops. Well worth the effort.

Now if you still have problems with keeping your toppings on, see this video for Beer Can Burgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I used Heston's method, having beef from mincer running same way, burger falls away in mouth. Simply wrapped in cling film like a pudding and left to set. I added salt and diced smokey bacon bits. Very nice indeed.

Now all I need is the recipe for big tasty sauce!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

phobia2011 wrote: »
    I used Heston's method, having beef from mincer running same way, burger falls away in mouth. Simply wrapped in cling film like a pudding and left to set. I added salt and diced smokey bacon bits. Very nice indeed.

Now all I need is the recipe for big tasty sauce!!

Personally I double mince mine as I can mix in pork mince as part of process plus I like my mince "squished" rather than stringy.

Sauce, like the toppings is very subjective, but I tend to use a variation of this. After making, I put it in an old washed Ketchup plastic bottle and store in the fridge for weeks.

I also like this BBQ sauce as well as this one. Both highly recommended for a tasty BBQ burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What buns do people use? I'm a fan of Aldis brioche burger buns but keen to hear other good options. Tesco do a good floury bap under their own brand label, they're nice but way too big for my burgers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What buns do people use? I'm a fan of Aldis brioche burger buns but keen to hear other good options. Tesco do a good floury bap under their own brand label, they're nice but way too big for my burgers

Aldi's brioche for me, although my husband perversely insists that he prefers your standard burger buns - which I find crumbly and tasteless.

Hmm

A good Waterford blaa makes a great burger bun too. If you can live with a flour moustache.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I make a super burger if i do say so myself.. the secret, big dollop of peanut butter on there along with the trimmings, cheese, bacon etc ...noms!

What madness is this? :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Having eaten burgers dressed with satay sauce and coriander, I am totally gonna try peanut butter on my next burger

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those, except when I've got vegans present, who get whatever cheapest bundy-alike I can find without milk in it :pac:

You're mental, in a nice way, but still mental :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco do a good floury bap under their own brand label, they're nice but way too big for my burgers
    They are very big, 440g for 4, so 110g each

I cut my last one in 3 and made a big mac style one with 2 very thin & wide patties. Or just cut like this and just eat the middle bit or keep for later

Those extra wide normal burger buns are 80g each, a bog standard bun is 50g.

I hate the popularity of those wide ones, always getting them a BBQs with a round shrunken burger rolling around the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

The AUSSIE OUTBACK, KIMMAGE

Had one over the weekend would give it 10/10
    The best burger i had in a long time,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you really want substitutes - neither are necessary for a good burger IMHO - you could try crushed crackers & a splash of soy sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

yeah crushed cream crackers are good. My wife blends up raw carrot and with the mince, keeps the burger real moist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

JT26 wrote: »
    Would BBQ sauce work?i dont even have crackers :(

Yeah you can use bbq sauce alright but apparently you only have mince so why not make the burgers with just mince and a bit of salt and pepper. If you make them and then put them in the fridge for an hour before cooking them they might stay together a bit better when they are being cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you really want to add something to the mince to could throw in a handful of porridge oats. I use them in Turkey burgers and they work well.

Advertisement