Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Sweet And Sour Sauce

• 25-06-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Ok, I'm looking for the original Chinese Sweet And Sour Sauce recipe if someone knows the recipe please share it here. I assume there's a pineapple in it but that's it. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

In the Chinese restaurant when I eat there is no garlic in the sauce because I can't sense it, and there is certainly pineapple. In that recipe there is no pineapple and there is garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Use the base sauce described in the recipe posted. Leave out the garlic & put in pineapple. Sorted! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

DarkoT wrote: »
    In the Chinese restaurant when I eat there is no garlic in the sauce because I can't sense it, and there is certainly pineapple. In that recipe there is no pineapple and there is garlic.

If it's a very specific recipe you're looking for, you're best off asking the restaurant yourself. The recipe I linked to was posted by a chef in a chinese takeaway as far as I know, so it's certainly authentic but may not be the same as your local restaurant.

I doubt that they will give me the recipe, because everyone are going in that restaurant mainly for the chicken steak in sweet and sour sauce, it's their trademark. For now the good thing is that I can buy the sauce and use it home, maybe I'll try to sense and guess the ingredients. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

May I ask - where is this restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Remember guys there will be no one true recipe.
    Like home made soup or stew, each house/region would have slight variations depending on tradition and taste. I've visited China twice and many if the traditional dishes vary considerably depending on the house or restraint cooking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Faith wrote: »
    A full kilo of sugar and a litre of ketchup and vinegar? Sounds awful.
    Hard to imagine you would even taste the dash of Worcestershire!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There's a very authentic recipe in the Cooking Club: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057027285

I think that this will do the job: 2 (14 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits (drained and reserve the juice from both cans)
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 garlic cloves (minced, or to taste)
    1 pinch cayenne pepper
    1⁄2 cup ketchup
    1⁄2 cup brown sugar
    1⁄3 cup white vinegar
    2 tablespoons soy sauce

I'm not sure about the garlic cloves but I'll give it a try. It looks like the one I'm searching...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I made this recipe and it tastes just like the durty takeaway sauce :pac: You're right about it not normally containing garlic, it's one of the few Chinese sauces my husband can eat.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86269881

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Fuzzy wrote: »
    That user, jassha, had worked in numerous Chinese takeaways, so the sizes he/she quoted were often huge amounts, so just divide down.

Using fresh pineapple makes a world of difference. They have €1 pineapples about these days. I slice & freeze.

I tried the recipe that I posted, and it's pretty close to the original... Ok it's not that bad, but I'll look into some adjustments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I tried the recipe that I posted, and it's pretty close to the original... Ok it's not that bad, but I'll look into some adjustments

I think the word you are looking for is 'Thank you'.

Taboola wrote: »
    I think the word you are looking for is 'Thank you'.

But you didn't understand me, I tried the recipe that I posted, because in the other recipes there is no pineapple. You can look at my post, it's just 5 posts above this one. :) I can't thank to myself, but I'm thankful to all the people that participate in this thread. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

You can just add chunks of pineapple to the other recipes posted :confused: It doesn't normally go into the sauce as such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Hard to imagine you would even taste the dash of Worcestershire!

I saw an episode of the Hairy Bikers where a little old Chinese lady made sweet and sour chicken (and about eight other dishes) for her family in a tiny kitchen the size of an Irish bathroom. Her sweet and sour sauce contained tons of ketchup and a massive chunk of palm sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RJohnG

Ok, I'm looking for the original Chinese Sweet And Sour Sauce recipe if someone knows the recipe please share it here. I assume there's a pineapple in it but that's it. :)

Try this. One we use and customers love it. Best sweet and sour you will try.

You can scale this down to half etc.

3 Litres water
    2 apples sliced finely (skin on )
    2 oranges sliced finely (skin on)
    1 Lemon sliced finely (skin on)
    2 sticks of celery
    Large piece of ginger chopped up
    1/2 a large carrot chopped
    1 large onion chopped
    1 Pineapple skinned and chopped

Boil the above in 3L water for 40 minutes. Keep the lid on to simmer and stop loss.
    Use a potato masher and push every bit of juice out of the fruit you can (important)

Sieve the juice from the fruit and veg.

Bring back to the boil and simmer. Now add.

500g tomato ketchup
    Dash of HP sauce
    Dash of worcester sauce
    500ml malt vinegar
    700g sugar
    100g (sweet chili sauce) *optional.
    1 Tsp red food colour

Cook out for 10 minutes

Use 1 ladle with your sweet and sour dish and thicken with potato starch and water 1/2 ratio.

Cheers.

RJohnG wrote: »
    Try this. One we use and customers love it.

You can scale this down to half etc.

3 Litres water
    2 apples sliced finely (skin on )
    2 oranges sliced finely (skin on)
    1 Lemon sliced finely (skin on)
    2 sticks of celery
    Large piece of ginger chopped up
    1/2 a large carrot chopped
    1 large onion chopped
    1 Pineapple skinned and chopped

Boil the above in 3L water for 40 minutes. Keep the lid on to simmer and stop loss.
    Use a potato masher and push every bit of juice out of the fruit you can (important)

Sieve the juice from the fruit and veg.

Bring back to the boil and simmer. Now add.

500g tomato ketchup
    Dash of HP sauce
    Dash of worcester sauce
    500ml malt vinegar
    700g sugar
    100g (sweet chili sauce) *optional.
    1 Tsp red food colour

Cook out for 10 minutes

Use 1 ladle with your sweet and sour dish and thicken with potato starch and water 1/2 ratio.

Cheers.
    Thanks, I will try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RJohnG

Thanks, I will try this.

You wont be disappointed but follow the amounts exactly.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement