Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The yellow pack in Tescos were rubbish too.

Remember the White Pack in the (then) Superquinn in the 80s? I had neighbours as a kid that had their whole presses stocked with white pack stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Here I've only ever seen Irish butter. Look for the EU stamp on the pack and it tells you what country made it.

Where I am, it's only kraut butter. I like my butter so have even raised the question with management before.

I was given an unsatisfactory answer. Something about a Kerrygold plant in Dusseldorf. It still tastes like kraut spread to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

It's not meant to last or be your friend. Buy it cook it, you want friends join Facebook.

Buy it, cook it...we don't all have the luxury of going to Aldi 4 times a week to buy **** :) maybe you do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Remember the White Pack in the (then) Superquinn in the 80s? I had neighbours as a kid that had their whole presses stocked with white pack stuff!

Back in the day when we used to put the messages in the presses. :cool:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think Aldi are better than Lidl in terms of the quality of the products. Lidl were fine years ago but the rot started when they started selling big brand products on their shelves with big brand prices.

Funny that, I think the opposite. I much prefer Lidl products. Cakes and biscuits in Aldi are just piles of sugar, at least in Lidl the digestives are very close to the real thing and not overly sweet.
    The Irish used to have a real aversion to shopping in Lidl and Aldi when they were new here. Not so much any more.

Yeah I remember that. My colleagues wouldn't be seen dead in one. Now we all meet there.

I wouldn't buy feminine hygiene products there on the assumption that they're not as good. I've never tried them so I can't tell !

There are also some cleaning products I only buy in other supermarkets like bathroom foam, that kind of thing. The firelighters in Lidl are really bad, never buy them there, the matches also, they'd drive you demented with breaking.

The clothes conditioner smells of vomit, but I do buy the washing powder if I'm really broke.

I prefer the veg in Lidl, much tastier than Aldi.
    I rarely go to Aldi in fact, once you know your way around a supermarket, and the products you like, it's just easier to go back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Funny that, I think the opposite. I much prefer Lidl products. Cakes and biscuits in Aldi are just piles of sugar, at least in Lidl the digestives are very close to the real thing and not overly sweet.

Yeah I remember that. My colleagues wouldn't be seen dead in one. Now we all meet there.

I wouldn't buy feminine hygiene products there on the assumption that they're not as good. I've never tried them so I can't tell !

There are also some cleaning products I only buy in other supermarkets like bathroom foam, that kind of thing. The firelighters in Lidl are really bad, never buy them there, the matches also, they'd drive you demented with breaking.

The clothes conditioner smells of vomit, but I do buy the washing powder if I'm really broke.

I prefer the veg in Lidl, much tastier than Aldi.

I rarely go to Aldi in fact, once you know your way around a supermarket, and the products you like, it's just easier to go back there.

Where I live they use the same suppliers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Buy it, cook it...we don't all have the luxury of going to Aldi 4 times a week to buy **** :) maybe you do

It's fairly annoying when you find things have turned to pulp and you won't be near a shop for another five days. I opened a cupboard to get some potatoes and onions and it was like a living history famine recreation in there. The onion had turned and 'infected' the potatoes. The stench of rotting potatoes nearly gassed me. I had to spend fifteen minutes cleaning the black slime out of cupboard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

DareGod wrote: »
    Animal Testing and Aldi:

"It is our policy in the UK and Ireland that all of our own-label cosmetics, toiletries and household products and their ingredients must not be tested on animals."

Lidl don't have any such policy.

More info: https://www.aldi.co.uk/about-aldi/corporate-responsibility/resources-for-our-products/animal-testing-and-welfare

That's cause they don't have to.
    Testing cosmetics and toiletries and ingredients for cosmetics and toietries on animals was outlawed across the EU in 2009. No products that were tested on animals of have ingredients tested on animals since 2009 may be sold or even advertised in any EU country.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's fairly annoying when you find things have turned to pulp and you won't be near a shop for another five days. I opened a cupboard to get some potatoes and onions and it was like a living history famine recreation in there. The onion had turned and 'infected' the potatoes. The stench of rotting potatoes nearly gassed me. I had to spend fifteen minutes cleaning the black slime out of cupboard.

I regularly get 2-3 weeks (Sometimes longer, depend show much I'm using them!) out of potatoes and onions from Aldi.

Really cannot relate to all these stories of fruit and veg from Aldi going off after a couple of days :pac: I feel like I'm missing something.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I regularly get 2-3 weeks (Sometimes longer, depend show much I'm using them!) out of potatoes and onions from Aldi.

Really cannot relate to all these stories of fruit and veg from Aldi going off after a couple of days :pac: I feel like I'm missing something.

The onion was from Tesco. I know what they mean about not being able to visit Aldi a few times a week, though.

Maybe it's different from store to store for some reason..improper storage or handling or something?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Maybe it's different from store to store for some reason..improper storage or handling or something?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Could be to do with turnaround of produce as well. I shop at an Aldi in Dublin city centre so probably would have a good turnaround, resulting in fresher produce? Maybe the day you do the shop impacts it as well?

I shop once a week in Aldi and rarely have stuff go off on me. You get the odd bad apple (pun fully intended) but that can happen with anywhere.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. Could be to do with turnaround of produce as well. I shop at an Aldi in Dublin city centre so probably would have a good turnaround, resulting in fresher produce? Maybe the day you do the shop impacts it as well?

I shop once a week in Aldi and rarely have stuff go off on me. You get the odd bad apple (pun fully intended) but that can happen with anywhere.

:D Yes..It's often late on a Sunday evening when I've shopped there. Hardly the optimum time for fresh stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Shenshen wrote: »
    That's cause they don't have to.

I don't think that's the reason. They didn't have it before the 2009 ban either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

DareGod wrote: »
    I don't think that's the reason. They didn't have it before the 2009 ban either.

Possibly true, but that hardly matters now, does it? It's been illegal to sell it for 8 years, why would they need a specific policy about it now?
    I find it rather odd that some companies do seem to feel the need to have a specific policy about complying with the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I think that the shelf life of the fruit and veg in Lidl and Aldi is down to individual shop management.

There are two Aldis here in town and I find a great difference between the two. I think storage (behind the scenes), stock rotation and ambient temperature of the shop floor has a lot to do with the longevity of the produce. The both have the exact same supplier probably on the exact same days etc so the differences has to be down to individual shop management.

I find the Lidl here in town to be very good but the heat when you walk into the shop around the fresh fruit and veg cannot be condusive to a long shelf life. The last time I bought Carrots there they didn't last very long....

After that it is simply down to whatever you prefer.

To answer the OP I don't buy cleaning products - I don't find them as good. The washing up liquid (in Aldi I think) even though it received a Good Housekeepers/Which Best Buy award not as God as the auld fairy. That could be to to do with the very hard water we have here. The ground coffee in Lidl is just not to my taste. I don't like the baked beans in either establishment. The ready made pastry in Lidl is not as good/nice as Aldi. I hate making pastry. I don't buy their dog food - our dog is spoiled rotten and has been fed a premium/vet dog food since puppy hood and I'm not about to change it now she's in her twilight years.

Other than that I do pretty much all my shopping in Aldi & Lidl. Yes there are some products I prefer one shop over another for and yes there are some products I consider 'complete crap' but I wouldn't buy the same products in Dunnes or Tesco either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Rogueish wrote: »
    I think that the shelf life of the fruit and veg in Lidl and Aldi is down to individual shop management.

I've noticed that Lidl never bother with stock rotation on the shelves. New stock of any item is put on top of or in front of old stock. Nothing is ever left to go out of date before it is reduced but you are more likely to get something with a short BBD at the back of the shelf than the front.

I think that is down to the staff only having the bare amount of time to stock the shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Toilet paper, not alone would it tear the hole off you but blocks the sewage system. It doesn't break down and dissolve and the solids get clogged usually on a restriction point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Graces7 wrote: »

Where I live they use the same suppliers.....

Really ? Maybe they do, maybe it was all in my head :D
    As I said I don't do Aldi much. I think the lay out of the fruit and veg stall puts me off too. I like the open plan sort of layout in my local Lidl, where you can glimpse the fruit across from the salad veg, that kind of thing. In Aldi it feels harder to see stuff, and darker, as the shelves go high up.

Actually just thought of something I specifically go to Aldi for once in a while : Mayonnaise. If any French are reading this, and are sick of the sweet, bland Irish type mayonnaise, try the Aldi one, it's more mustardy and much less sweet. (I blame apple cider vinegar and honey ffs, in Mayonnaise like)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,154 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Deedsie wrote: »
    Most if not all of their milk is imported. I like to support Irish (Ireland) producers when I can.

From the North?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Really ? Maybe they do, maybe it was all in my head :D )

No they don't. I know somebody involved in the supply of some of the imported fruit to Aldi and they do not supply to Lidl. It is definitely not the same suppliers for both. And the fruit suppler I know is nationwide.

Ya I think > 30% of milk purchased by consumers in Ireland is originally produced in Northern Ireland.

OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Ya I think > 30% of milk purchased by consumers in Ireland is originally produced in Northern Ireland.

Maybe thats because 250 million liters of Irish whole milk annually goes into Baileys Irish Cream http://www.irishcentral.com/culture/food-drink/baileys-irish-cream-one-of-irelands-most-successful-exports-celebrates-40-years .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,543 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If I'm buying a cut of meat for roasting, I'll go elsewhere. Not a fan of the sausages either. There's something strange about how well they keep their shape.

The self-raising flour doesn't seem to rise as much as other flour.

But apart from that I don't avoid anything. I used to think that carrots from Lidl went off quickly, but don't think so any more, although that might just be that we eat them so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Lidl milk has the farmed in ROI seal on it.

mansize wrote: »
    Lidl milk has the farmed in ROI seal on it.

I checked my Aldi one last night - does say NI in fairness (not that I am going to worry about that tbh).

All the meat is great in my experience.

Always buy mince, chicken fillets and chicken thighs.

Boughts 2 beef medallion steaks last night for €4 - they came out very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

It's fairly annoying when you find things have turned to pulp and you won't be near a shop for another five days.

I stopped buying potatoes in Aldi & Lidl because they just go to mush when boiled. I wish they'd sort them out because it's the one thing I've to get in Tesco.(My aim is to buy as little in Tesco as possible.)
    Lidl even sell the potatoes in clear plastic bags which is very bad for storage of potatoes.

ellejay wrote: »
    I stopped buying potatoes in Aldi & Lidl because they just go to mush when boiled. I wish they'd sort them out because it's the one thing I've to get in Tesco.(My aim is to buy as little in Tesco as possible.)
    Lidl even sell the potatoes in clear plastic bags which is very bad for storage of potatoes.

Yes, that plastic again. Tesco potatoes are the white, waxy ones that stay firm. Much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Rubbish, it depends on the variety, roosters are great, and besides no one boils potatoes anymore, steaming is where it's at;)

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Rubbish, it depends on the variety, roosters are great, and besides no one boils potatoes anymore, steaming is where it's at;)

For a floury potatoe they are best, I'm told, but they can go to mush at the edges and still be rock hard in the middle. It's some kind of old lady trick. Some of them don't peel them, the potatoes sort of blossom open during cooking.

I like Maris Piper. They're very good for chips.

Advertisement