Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

So many query the fruit and veg going off quickly.
    I'd nearly prefer this than stuff lasting much much longer... makes you wonder what the other stuff is sprayed with!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Milk and the jars of pasta sauce.

No problems with the fruit und veg for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi cream crackers. Nothing wrong with the taste, but every one of them in the pack is always broken

What do you want for 26 cent :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'd nearly prefer this than stuff lasting much much longer... makes you wonder what the other stuff is sprayed with!

They could just be lower grade fruits - thats why they wouldnt last as long as they have "internal defects" which would mean they are ok for a short period. They are inferior to the higher grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I only buy veg in lidl if I'm going to use them immediately as I find they go bad very fast. Id agree with above, I'd love if they sold all their fruit and veg loose. It's not their fault that a lot of the imported fruit and veg is pure shìte, other counties are aware that ireland will accept the dregs of their crops so that's what they send here.

I gave up buying fruit or veg in both Aldi and Lidl, as they just don't keep. I do a weekly shop and their vex did not keep to mid week. The fruit and veg from the greengrocers is sound for well over a week. You get what you pay for I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I severely doubt there is less stuff sprayed on the aldi or lidl veg. They don't last as long because theyre already old and/or just ropey produce. If it were less sprayed they'd be slapping an organic label on it and charging three times the price.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can't say I've ever had a problem with fruit/veg from Aldi going off quickly on a regular basis.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I severely doubt there is less stuff sprayed on the aldi or lidl veg. They don't last as long because theyre already old and/or just ropey produce. If it were less sprayed they'd be slapping an organic label on it and charging three times the price.

Totally agree - i have a family member in that industry. Aldi/Lidl buy lower grade fruit/veg, thats how they sell it on so cheaply. Thats why it goes off faster.

Its still sprayed with whatever Dunnes etc growers spray theirs with - its just an inferior quality product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I only buy veg in lidl if I'm going to use them immediately as I find they go bad very fast. Id agree with above, I'd love if they sold all their fruit and veg loose. It's not their fault that a lot of the imported fruit and veg is pure shìte, other counties are aware that ireland will accept the dregs of their crops so that's what they send here.

I don't know whether that's true for the actual Lidl veg but typically veg that doesn't go off quickly is basically just treated heavily. Sprayed waxed whatever. Typically things that stay perfect for a long time are very suspicious. More so than stuff that goes off quickly. Stuff is supposed to go off quickly. It's what stuff does.

Edit: oops beaten to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

murpho999 wrote: »
    I've never experienced bad fruit or veg in Lidl. Quality has always been good.

Same for meats, bought lots of meats there too and there are good quality.

I don't get where people say they are inferior.

Think it's just snobbery to be honest.

How on earth is it snobbery ffs?

I also bought a box of mandarins in Lidl last week (If I was such a snob, I wouldn't be there, would I?). I also binned them, they were rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

scdublin wrote: »
    ^Their meat 100% tastes different to me. I can tell straight away when eating it (especially the beef mince) if it's from lidl/aldi vs Supervalu for example. There's way more fat and grisly bits. Not a fan.

I've also stopped buying their cooked chicken and other cooked meats. It was inedible the last time I bought it. And if you hope to eat half the packet and save the other half for the next day, it smells and tastes so bad. Not sure what they're adding to it.

Everything else I would buy there though.

Well lidl steaks are the best available in supermarkets in this country, tesco and dunnes are muck and so expensive. SuperValu ones are very hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Milk and the jars of pasta sauce.

No problems with the fruit und veg for me.

Wouldn't ever buy jars of pasta sauce no matter where. They are pure evil full of sh1t and sugar. In nearly the same time you sizzle a crushed garlic, a chopped chili, throw a tin of plum tomatoes on top if it and do some magic with pepper salt dried basil whatnot and at least you know what you're eating at a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Fruit & veg can be hit and miss in Aldi (don't know about Lidl as I never shop there). Then again, I find the fruit & veg can be sh!t in my local Tesco too.

What I can't understand is people on here saying they never buy Aldi/Lidl milk :confused:

I always buy own brand milk wherever I shop and have never noticed any difference between any of them or any of the branded milks. I drink a lot (too much :) of coffee, and have cereals every day, so if there was a difference, I'd notice it!

That makes no sense. When I harvest home grown veg like carrots, onions, potatoes, parnsip etc. they will keep, if properly stored, for weeks on end. Likewise apples. Indeed, onions keep for months. I grow organically so nothing sprayed adds to the longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

How on earth is it snobbery ffs?

I also bought a box of mandarins in Lidl last week (If I was such a snob, I wouldn't be there, would I?). I also binned them, they were rotten.

Yeah the mandarins from lidl are brutal, juiceless and tasteless.

I've also found some of the fruit and veg going off fairly quickly e.g. carrots, bananas, lettuce.

Wouldn't buy toiletries or cleaning products there, branded are better on experience and they're regularly half price in supermarkets or boots. I just buy them when there's an offer on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Lidl's Glensallagh rashers are absolute ****e.

You'd want to see the amount of effluent and white stuff that comes out of em when cooked - the resulting rasher looks like a slice from the sole of 85 year old's sunburned feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Yeah the mandarins from lidl are brutal, juiceless and tasteless.

I've also found some of the fruit and veg going off fairly quickly e.g. carrots, bananas, lettuce.

Wouldn't buy toiletries or cleaning products there, branded are better on experience and they're regularly half price in supermarkets or boots. I just buy them when there's an offer on.

I have found Lidl's cleaning stuff to be top quality.

Also their dishwaser tablets are excellent.

This shows I'm not the only one who thinks so.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

scdublin wrote: »
    ^Their meat 100% tastes different to me. I can tell straight away when eating it (especially the beef mince) if it's from lidl/aldi vs Supervalu for example. There's way more fat and grisly bits. Not a fan.

I've also stopped buying their cooked chicken and other cooked meats. It was inedible the last time I bought it. And if you hope to eat half the packet and save the other half for the next day, it smells and tastes so bad. Not sure what they're adding to it.

Everything else I would buy there though.

Well lidl steaks are the best available in supermarkets in this country, tesco and dunnes are muck and so expensive. SuperValu ones are very hit and miss
    True actually, their steaks aren't half bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Jrop wrote: »
    I thought the same thing but Milk from Dunnes and Tesco are stored in the same fridges yet no problems with their milk.

I still buy my weekly shop in Aldi.

Agree with this... the lidl/aldi milk doesn't keep as well and has a shorter lifespan (use within 3 days vs 5/7 with Avonmore etc)

But for everything else (chicken, chips, fish, chocolate, cleaning stuff etc) there's no real difference except the price.

Only thing I get in Dunnes now is the milk and the slabs of 18 coke cans as they don't do them in lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

murpho999 wrote: »
    I have found Lidl's cleaning stuff to be top quality.

Also their dishwaser tablets are excellent.

This shows I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Fair enough, I haven't. I don't use dishwasher tablets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Antrying alcohol related unless it's branded as it can alright for getting things like slabs of heineken/carlsberg etc. but their own brand stuff I wouldn't touch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Won't buy fruit and veg in Adi.
    I have before, several times, and it goes off far too quickly.
    But I find Lidl's fruit and veg really freah and lasts a good few days.

I won't buy the ham fillets from Aldi (awful rubbery salty ham), the toothpaste (not very minty), the ladies sanitary products (nothing beats the branded ones, IMO), won't buy the tea and won't buy the coffee.

But I have actually tried all these before so it's not like I'm assuming they're no good.
    In my opinion I prefer their branded counterparts.

I do love Aldi's extra mature cheddar, Pinot Grigio, maple rashers, mince beef, steaks, tinned tomatoes and their herbs and spices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

vicwatson wrote: »
    What do you want for 26 cent :pac:

My money back :p

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Antrying alcohol related unless it's branded as it can alright for getting things like slabs of heineken/carlsberg etc. but their own brand stuff I wouldn't touch

Ah here Aldi do a fine selection of Beer. They stock loads of the craft stuff and have a brilliant selection of German Beer. Best bang for buck is their Spaten in my opinion. While not the best Helles(Augustinier for me), it is by far the best value you can get in Ireland. What do ya mean by their own brand stuff?

Actually refuse to buy Heineken for my fridge at home anymore, Its usually into Aldi to stock up on Spaten and try out some of the craft stuff that they stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ferm001

Lidl's cooking oil go's rancid very quick but love their mayo and beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Ah here Aldi do a fine selection of Beer. They stock loads of the craft stuff and have a brilliant selection of German Beer. Best bang for buck is their Spaten in my opinion. While not the best Helles(Augustinier for me), it is by far the best value you can get in Ireland. What do ya mean by their own brand stuff?

Actually refuse to buy Heineken for my fridge at home anymore, Its usually into Aldi to stock up on Spaten and try out some of the craft stuff that they stock.

Yes I agree. These beer snobs don't realize that Aldi/Lidl "own brand" beer is far better beer than the chemical laden crap such as Budweiser, Heineken, Carlsberg etc. :cool:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Stephen15 wrote: »

Lidl have a lovely pilsner called Perlenbacher it's 6 for €7.29.

Also my local Aldi has Bo Bristle craft beer from Banagher in Offaly, magic stuff especially the IPA.

At the end of the day though it's a question of taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Their fruit can be crap and goes off within a day of buying it. Pasta sauces aren't nice either. Thing that frustrates me the most about Aldi and lidl is they run out of stock of important items, last time I was there they had no milk.

The cheap so called wholemeal sandwiches in Lidl are absolute trash. Poor quality fillings (chicken like grizzle, ham like rubber) and awful bread.

Their biscuits are first class and a fraction of the price elsewhere however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

If only an Aldi or Lidl type competitor in the hotel or car industries came in!
    Aldi and Lidl just showed how Ben Dunne, Fergal Quinn and the rest of them were ripping us off for so long.

Advertisement