Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices on the UP AGAIN

• 23-02-2012 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone tell me why on the 10th feb I paid €1.538 per litre, and today I paid €1.578 in the exact same garage in Wexford (might I add in one of the cheapest ones around), they have all increased.

4 cent a litre dearer in two weeks, on top of all the other increases over the last few months.

I often wonder if the media drives these price increases, the minute there are articles on the radio and tv about the price of petrol it seems to be come acceptable to go and increase the damn price of it.

What justification is there to increase the petrol per litre by 4 cent per litre when oil is at one of it's lowest prices in the last few years?

When will people stop and wake up, when it gets to €2.00 per litre, then we give out for a while, and get used to the benchmark being €2.00 per litre and up it goes again....?

I for one am P*ssed off at these non sensicle increases, and where no one has to justify them to anyone.:mad::mad::mad: People need petrol so is it a case that they'll charge whatever the hell they want for it? I am aware that the Gov take a huge chunk of the price so they better act or......:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Didn't the Israel/Iran thing this week have an impact on Oil prices?

Is that Diesel you got anyway? I've not seen Petrol at that price for a long while...

I filled up last Thursday at 1.60.9/l

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. I know the price had to go up on January 1st with the whole VAT thing, but there is still a gradual rise on prices, I saw a garage at 1.60 for first time in Cork yesterday... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

dulpit wrote: »
    Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. I know the price had to go up on January 1st with the whole VAT thing, but there is still a gradual rise on prices, I saw a garage at 1.60 for first time in Cork yesterday... :mad:
    Same in South East. I wouldn't expect the price to go significantly down ever again. We can forget about 0.899 per litre of juice that we paid 2-3 years ago for ever.
    The positive thing is that petrol is still about the cheapest liquid you can get and it does amazing things :).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

We can forget about 0.899 per litre of juice that we paid 2-3 years ago for ever.

What? 0.899 2-3 years ago??? I doubt it it was that short a time ago?
    The positive thing is that petrol is still about the cheapest liquid you can get and it does amazing things smile.gif.

Milk is definitely cheaper and it also does amazing things :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Why does the price of petrol never go down. If the price of a barrel of oil was halfed in the morning petrol the price at the pump would be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

FearDark wrote: »
    Why does the price of petrol never go down. If the price of a barrel of oil was halfed in the morning petrol the price at the pump would be the same.
    But if it doubled you can be assured that the price would increase straight away :p

God, I just hate the feeling of being raped weekly as a motorist, and that there is nothing that we can do (short of moving to somewhere like Saudi)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Leaving aside any outside influences like tax, price of oil etc, a petrol station is a private business. If they want to put the price up to €5 a litre they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,533 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Leaving aside any outside influences like tax, price of oil etc, a petrol station is a private business. If they want to put the price up to €5 a litre they can.

until of course everyone goes to the other guy who is cheaper....

• Registered Users Posts: 80,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Within the next 5 years when we start bringing our own oil ashore it will be sickening to be paying full market price for our own oil with a miserable 12.5% taxation on the oil companies profits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

vicwatson wrote: »
    What? 0.899 2-3 years ago??? I doubt it it was that short a time ago?

Yep http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77223990&postcount=218

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

listermint wrote: »
    until of course everyone goes to the other guy who is cheaper....

But all the other guys tend to follow suit... Even the locally known "cheap guys" are always only 2 or 3c below the norm... So once one goes up, they all do... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

RoverJames wrote: »
    .... they were unusually low than though ..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77233356

True, they've been fluctuating quite a bit. High prices are here to stay now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

So, would a 2 litre engine still be classed as "not big"?

shedweller wrote: »

3l is the line in the sand around these parts :rolleyes:

RoverJames wrote: »

3l is the line in the sand around these parts :rolleyes:
    Jaysus! That would make any wage levy pale in comparison!

Yes!
    Despite the general perception (outside of the motors forum) that anything like a 2.0l will "drink fuel", in world terms its still small.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Steven81

Those of us that are lucky to work get their pay, they look at the gross and then see all the money that comes off for USC and all other taxes. Out of the few pence that remains how much goes on running the car between taxing, insurance, servicing, getting an NCT now annualy and then the big one is the price of petrol. Government gets it all back. I work 21 miles away but would not like to be on a big commute daily, think of all the people that are living in commuter towns driving 1 hour plus just to get to work and then tolls if they have to go that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Electric and/or really small engines (<0.7L) are the way forward for low (running) cost motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Confab wrote: »
    Electric and/or really small engines (<0.7L) are the way forward for low (running) cost motoring.

I'd rather pay €2/l than drive anything resembling either of those options.

Or walk.... :P

• Advertisement

I suppose the thing to look at is what % of your net wage goes on motoring costs. Rising fuel cost is making that slice of the pie chart get bigger and bigger. Some people are either in denial about that or can't do anything about it. Or maybe they are happy enough with it and thats fair enough too. Personally, i'm not too happy about it, despite taking steps to cut costs. The family car still goes through most of a tank per week. If that was a 3 litre petrol engine the fuel bill for that car would more than double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

funny thing is the airlines aren't complaining this time around...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I'd say there will eventually be a point where paying for fuel becomes such an expense that we will all be forced to switch to alternate means of propulsion. Its not a matter of if, more when this happens. I just wonder what the alternate means will be...

I wonder how high the prices will get before people stop buying refined petrol from pumps? €5, €8 per litre?
    It wont ever run out as people often suggest, just get so expensive to produce that people wont buy it.

@Atlantic Dawn we dont even know if there is much oil & gas out there!! Sofar we only have optimistic speculation and a very low success rate for the actual exploration drilling. I'm sure the govt will increase the tax bands & move goalposts if oil is found offshore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Interesting interview on the Pat Kenny show this morning about the fall in traffic using the train and switching to the car. One would think the price rise is being pushed by our government to push us onto their trains.

I get the feeling that the govt in one way see it as a positive thing, in forcing people onto public. They have failed miserably trying to get people on public transport using other methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It's not like public transport is cheap. It's not and it's no where near as flexible as the car especially for self employed.

If you were living in the likes of Naas, Maynooth, Clane, Straffins or Sallins and working in Dublin city on days the train in is quite reasonable and swift, much better than driving in.

Longterm I expect many folk who run cars to commute to work might well opt for cycling or for mopeds/scooters/motorbikes. Until diesel costs €3/litre and 50mpg diesels are no longer common I don't really see the sh1t hitting the fan for the majority of folk.

I also see private bus companies getting market share in getting employees to and from workplaces, like the park and ride systems the likes of UCC operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

The trouble with public transport is that it's fine if you want to travel from one large town to another - Dublin city centre to Galway city centre or similar. The small towns and villages are really poorly served in most cases.

What needs to be said as well is that I heard s statistic for the UK that 2/3 of car journeys are less than ten miles. I would imagine Ireland isn't much different. There is no logical reason on earth (other than sheer laziness) that someone of average health and fitness couldn't manage to cycle ten miles. I would expect this would drastically reduce congestion, decreasing journey times and fuel consumption for those who are travelling further afield and need to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Our wonderful climate has a lot to do with it, plus the fact that it is downright dangerous to drive on a lot of rural roads around this country in the dark...

• Advertisement

piston wrote: »
    The trouble with public transport is that it's fine if you want to travel from one large town to another - Dublin city centre to Galway city centre or similar. The small towns and villages are really poorly served in most cases.

What needs to be said as well is that I heard s statistic for the UK that 2/3 of car journeys are less than ten miles. I would imagine Ireland isn't much different. There is no logical reason on earth (other than sheer laziness) that someone of average health and fitness couldn't manage to cycle ten miles. I would expect this would drastically reduce congestion, decreasing journey times and fuel consumption for those who are travelling further afield and need to drive.
    Arriving late to work, sweating, perhaps?:rolleyes:

Advertisement