Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail 2010 timetable now online

• 04-11-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭

The online irish rail timetable for 2010 is now online. You can now search for train times up until august 2010 using the journey planner.

Noticable changes include mostly clockface darts western rail corridor and the rosslare line changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Westport - Heuston earlybird service also added

Westport - Dublin Heuston
    dep 05:15 arr 08:50

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

thomasj wrote: »
    The online irish rail timetable for 2010 is now online. You can now search for train times up until august 2010 using the journey planner.

Noticable changes include mostly clockface darts western rail corridor and the rosslare line changes

Limerick-Galway in only 2 hours (or 2 hours 25 minutes for the 6am ex-Limerick)

Also offers some Dublin-Galway service via Limerick..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Limerick - Dublin seems to have more services, less direct services (only morning ex Limerick, evening ex Dublin), and more consistent time (2 hr 15, which is far better than Bus Éireann's 3 hr 40 and often less than car, for now). Seems to be good news for this main service - much as I would prefer never to change at LJ.

Ennis as a result of Limerick-Galway gets more services to/from Limerick, but Ennis-Dublin consistently requires two changes (probably actual change train in Limerick too, not just a stop-over).

Limerick-Galway at 2hrs is better Bus Éireann (2hr 30) but poorer than CityLink's 1hr 30 (although I'm not sure that time is at all achievable at rush hour, and certainly not by car if there is any traffic!)

Limerick-Cork still requires Limerick Junction change and only shaves off about 5 mins off current time (1hr 50 - 2hrs) Citylink is 1hr 45 and Bus Éireann is 1hr 50. Car can be as good as 1 hr 20 sticking within the limits from city centre to city centre, although in traffic it's probably similar to bus times.

Apologies for focussing on Limerick, but obviously it's what I'm most interested in.

If I'm not mistaken, the times are more clockface and things are standardised more as regards scheduling (e.g. the greater use of Limerick shuttle onto Cork-Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Limerick-Cork service improvement will probably come when the east platform at Limerick Junction comes on-line - any time line for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Can someone post a link on the irish rail website for the timetable as i cant seem to find it anywhere.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Zoney wrote: »
    Limerick-Galway at 2hrs is better Bus Éireann (2hr 30) but poorer than CityLink's 1hr 30 (although I'm not sure that time is at all achievable at rush hour, and certainly not by car if there is any traffic!)

1h30 is pretty achievable by the bus at rush hour I think, given the inbound bus lanes in Galway and Limerick. Once Gort is bypassed, thats the last big bottleneck I think; it remains to see how Clarinbridge/Ardrahan/etc will respond to no hold up in Gort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The 1705 Heuston-Limerick express seems to have disappeared unfortunately. Used to like getting that train

edit- seems to have been moved foward to the 1625 train.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

glineli wrote: »
    Can someone post a link on the irish rail website for the timetable as i cant seem to find it anywhere.

thanks

what you do is in the journey planner search put in station from and station to and change the date to any date after the 28th of november and the full list of trains will show for that search criteria for the new timetable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Highlights here
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=551

Iarnród Éireann: Service changes from 29th November 2009 by Corporate Communications

Iarnród Éireann has outlined a range of service changes to take effect later this month.

The highlight of the changes, which will be introduced from November 29th, will be a new joint service in each direction between Dublin and Galway / Westport.

The new Intercity railcar fleet which now operates these routes give the flexibility to introduce European-style “split and join” services.

Two new early bird Monday to Friday services, an 05.15 Westport to Dublin and 06.05 Galway to Dublin will leave Westport and Galway as two three-carriage trains, and will join together at Athlone to complete the journey as one service.

Similarly, a new 15.30 service from Dublin to Galway/Westport will operate from Dublin to Athlone as one train, and split at Athlone, with the front 3 carriages operating to Galway, and the rear 3 carriages to Westport. This will increase the number of trains on these route from three to four each way daily for Westport, and from seven to eight each way daily for Galway.

The new Intercity railcar fleet allows the company to expand services on both routes in an economical way, meaning that even in this difficult economic environment, we can bring service improvements to these routes in a cost-effective manner. This has been the focus of our service review, to ensure we maintain strong services while controlling costs.

OTHER MAJOR SERVICE CHANGES FROM 29TH NOVEMBER

Note: Customers on all routes should check departure times from 29th November for all services, as there may be minor changes, including some earlier departure times.

Waterford-Dublin

A new express 07.10 Waterford to Heuston service (Monday to Saturday) will be introduced, with one intermediate stop only, at Carlow. This service will deliver a journey time of two hours from Waterford to Dublin, ideal for customers with business and other appointments in the capital. In addition, it offers an express commuter service from Carlow, serving Carlow at 8.06, and arriving in Dublin in 64 minutes.

Journey time savings of up to 15 minutes will be delivered on many services on the Dublin/Waterford route due to the operational improvements delivered by the new fleet. Most journey times will be between 2 hours 15 and 2 hours 30 minutes on the route.

Westport – Dublin & Galway - Dublin

As well as the new “split and join” services detailed above, journey time improvements will be delivered on most services, with journey time savings of up to 17 minutes.

The first morning weekday service from Dublin to Westport and Galway will also be an amalgamated service at 07.30hrs, splitting at Athlone.

The 6.05 service from Galway to Dublin will also operate on Saturdays.

Cork – Dublin & Tralee - Dublin

The 06.30 Cork to Dublin service will serve Mallow only en route, to deliver an express service with a journey time of 2 hours 30 minutes.

This will also deliver, through a connection from the 05.20 Tralee to Mallow/Cork service, a journey time of 3 hours 40 minutes from Tralee to Dublin, and 3 hours 15 minutes from Killarney to Dublin.

One service in each direction will be removed (19.30 Cork to Heuston and 20.00 Heuston to Cork), with the last services remaining as the 20.30 Cork to Heuston and 21.00 Heuston to Cork, and a total of 14 services each way daily.

Limerick – Dublin

The number of services each way daily will increase from 15 to 16, with an increase in the number of connecting services at Limerick Junction, and a decrease in direct services.

Rosslare Europort/Wexford – Dublin

The number of direct services for Wexford increase to five, with the extension of the 16.30 Connolly to Wexford (previously terminated at Gorey), and 17.30 Connolly to Wexford (previously terminated at Enniscorthy.

There will also be an additional evening direct service from Wexford to Dublin at 19.30. In addition, there will be increased use of the new Intercity railcar fleet on the route.

Sligo – Dublin (incl. Longford / Mullingar commuter)

A new early morning 5.45 service from Longford to Pearse will be introduced, offering an additional commuting option for customers from Longford, Edgesworthtown, and Mullingar. In addition, the 17.05 Connolly to Sligo service will have an additional stop at Maynooth, offering an express evening commute option for Maynooth commuters.

DART services

In a major review of DART schedules, a new regular 15-minute interval service is to be introduced across the full day (Monday to Saturday), with additional services operating at peak times (Monday to Friday) to match demand.

This will result in Greystones seeing a major increase in services with every second DART serving the Co Wicklow town, resulting in a service every 30 minutes (Monday to Friday).

This, together with Rosslare and Wexford/Arklow services, will see the service frequency from Greystones to Dublin go up from 33 trains daily to 42.

The regular interval service will eliminate occasional significant gaps in service at off-peak times, and give an easily understandable pattern of services through the day for customers.

Waterford to Limerick Junction

Service frequency will be revised from four trains each way daily to three.

Other routes and intermediate stations

Customers are again reminded to check times of travel for all journeys from 29th November onwards, on all routes and for intermediate stations.

Full details for the new schedules are now available on www.irishrail.ie via the timetable, and downloadable route specific pdfs will be available very shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Irish Rail wrote:
    Two new early bird Monday to Friday services, an 05.15 Westport to Dublin and 06.05 Galway to Dublin will leave Westport and Galway as two three-carriage trains, and will join together at Athlone to complete the journey as one service.

Can anyone else see this going wrong quite frequently:confused:
    I don't think IR are capable of such timing and accuracy.

Did they take out the Limerick/Galway sectors again? Can't find anything in there now. I was interested to compare Ennis-Athenry-Portarlington-Dublin timings vs Ennis-Limerick-LJ-Dublin timings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

big improvement for Greystones commuters and for the Dart in general - though the Wexford services suffer as a result with some of them now taking 56 mins to get to Greystones (even slower than the Dart).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Yes - more of the same old crap from Irish Rail! I will vote for any party, even the Shinners, if they offer the abolition of Irish Rail on their manifesto. All pretence of a link from the South East to Waterford is removed and Irish Rail are toying with the idea of handing over the South Wexford line for preservation..........truly a parallel universe. The sad truth is that CIE/IE by their waste are having a knock on affect everywhere - cervical cancer innoculations, ward closures, etc.etc. .....OTT maybe but it's true. :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

Yep. It is a minefield of CIE mayhem potentiality. I see lots of Westport people changing for buses.

Yes - more of the same old crap from Irish Rail! I will vote for any party, even the Shinners, if they offer the abolition of Irish Rail on their manifesto. All pretence of a link from the South East to Waterford is removed and Irish Rail are toying with the idea of handing over the South Wexford line for preservation..........truly a parallel universe. The sad truth is that CIE/IE by their waste are having a knock on affect everywhere - cervical cancer innoculations, ward closures, etc.etc. .....OTT maybe but it's true. :mad::mad::mad:

but at least we'll have a decent stretch of preserved line then ;):p

OK you win Cookie Monster but I don't see a rush of preservation societies wanting the South Wexford line. The only likely people would have been the Irish Traction Group but they have decided to maroon their locos at Downpatrick and some 'old shed' at Moyasta.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Waterford _ Rosslare is a skeleton Waterford commuter service now, one train to Waterford in the morning and one train to Rosslare in the evening , at least until Lenihan announces his budget .

Rosslare Europort 07:00
    Waterford (Plunkett) 08:20 dep 17:20
    Rosslare Europort 18:35

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well Portmarnock seems to have got a big boost from this - from 41 trains on a weekday to 53, 22 to a whopping 44 on a Saturday (100% increase!), and 15 to 24 on a Sunday (50% increase).
    It looks like they've balanced out the Malahide/Howth lines a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

ixoy wrote: »
    Well Portmarnock seems to have got a big boost from this - from 41 trains on a weekday to 53, 22 to a whopping 44 on a Saturday (100% increase!), and 15 to 24 on a Sunday (50% increase).
    It looks like they've balanced out the Malahide/Howth lines a lot more.

They seem to be ramping up the services on the DART alright.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Waterford _ Rosslare is a skeleton Waterford commuter service now, one train to Waterford in the morning and one train to Rosslare in the evening , at least until Lenihan announces his budget .

Rosslare Europort 07:00
    Waterford (Plunkett) 08:20 dep 17:20
    Rosslare Europort 18:35

The service has been just one a day for some years now but the new timetable will mean that you can no longer travel from Waterford to stations on the D&SE section and the recent unmarketed 'innovation' of a train from Arklow (05.44) which gave a useful connection to Waterford has been dropped from the new schedule. At the moment the Mon/Fri (05.44) - which few people have even heard of - only runs on Mondays (!) due to engineering work on the DART!!! A bus runs in its place and I bet it's totally empty - I think I'll go for it soon just for devilment. Incidentally, as things stand it is impossible to return by rail from Waterford Tues/Fri. but it is possible to buy a day return ticket from Enniscorthy/to Waterford and points west so does that mean I can return to Enniscorthy via Heuston and Connolly? I will be doing so shortly and will report here as I also am looking forward to sampling the services of Joe 'the train host' as reported on on the Railusers Ireland website. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I wonder if people going out to the Wesht on the Dublin - Galway train will be able to cope with the splitting train idea.

I wonder if people going out to the Wesht on the Dublin - Galway train will be able to cope with the splitting train idea.
    If they really wanted lemonade and great sport they could meet at Athlone West and then one could route out by Athlone East and t'other to Moate and Mullingar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

It is great to see the new services coming delighted to see the 5:45am from Longford to Pearse. I was under the impression that there would be a reduction in services across the board Is there a timetable for Limerick to Galway yet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Any improvements on the Maynooth line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

What I don't get though is that the Bray-Drogheda(10:25) and Bray-Longford(17:33) Commuter services are no longer calling at Dalkey. The only one which seems to call at Dalkey is the Bray-Balbriggan(9:00) service. Also, it no longer calls at Glenageary and Sandycove. While I am impressed with the overall clockface nature of the timetable, I am still confused as to why they aren't still calling at Dalkey in the new timetable?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Will this be valid at Christmas? I have a houseguest arriving from Germany into Dublin on Christmas Eve and he'll need one of the trains on the 24th...

What I don't get though is that the Bray-Drogheda(10:25) and Bray-Longford(17:33) Commuter services are no longer calling at Dalkey. The only one which seems to call at Dalkey is the Bray-Balbriggan(9:00) service. Also, it no longer calls at Glenageary and Sandycove. While I am impressed with the overall clockface nature of the timetable, I am still confused as to why they aren't still calling at Dalkey in the new timetable?:confused:

Lack of demand...

With a train each way from Greystones every half hour will this not make it quite tight timetable wise?

How long is it from Bray to Greystones, 10-12 minutes? With the inevitable Dart delays i can see the outbound trains arriving late and delaying the inbound, further delay the next outbound and so forth...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

thats the concern alright

it is something i have seen in France that works well (but thats France!!)

it should work better the other way around (i.e. leaving as one big train and splitting up at points along the way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Lack of demand...

With a train each way from Greystones every half hour will this not make it quite tight timetable wise?

How long is it from Bray to Greystones, 10-12 minutes? With the inevitable Dart delays i can see the outbound trains arriving late and delaying the inbound, further delay the next outbound and so forth...

its 10 mins in the timetable, but trains tend to dawdle in Bray before continuing onto Greystones - they'll definitely have to tighten up their operations.

Advertisement