Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 The Lorax

Looks really good - quality is as good as the Roadhawk. The only problem I noticed is the rosary beads hanging from your mirror - I didn't realise you were an OAP. Otherwise, all seems to be in order.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The Lorax wrote: »
    Looks really good - quality is as good as the Roadhawk. The only problem I noticed is the rosary beads hanging from your mirror - I didn't realise you were an OAP. Otherwise, all seems to be in order.

HA HA :D
    They were a gift from my late Grandmother in 2006.
    Ive just gotten into the habbit of keeping thm in every car ive bought since.

The glove box is full of medals and padro pio etc etc badges that has been given to me since i started driving in 1999! Ive kept them and put them into every car ive bought since, Just cant bring myself to getting rid of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I would like to get one that can record hours of footage, is there one out there ?

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I would like to get one that can record hours of footage, is there one out there ?

yes, its called a bigger memory card :D
    Ive a 2GB card in mine and it can record 1 hour and 40 mins. if i put my 16gb card from my DSLR in, i could record about 8 hours of footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Could be only myself but the issue that i see with this camera setup is that the viewing front angle is too small,it does not see properly the front of the road,sidewise !
    Let's say that a car comes from left or right,very close angle to your car...with that camera it not showing the impact time !!

To avoid this issue,i am ordering two cameras and i point them in the front,to cover 140" to left and 140" to right,plus the back cameras.I ordered them from ebay,as soon as i get them,i'l post the records.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    yes, its called a bigger memory card :D
    Ive a 2GB card in mine and it can record 1 hour and 40 mins. if i put my 16gb card from my DSLR in, i could record about 8 hours of footage.

Ok thanks.

rolion wrote: »
    Could be only myself but the issue that i see with this camera setup is that the viewing front angle is too small,it does not see properly the front of the road,sidewise !
    Let's say that a car comes from left or right,very close angle to your car...with that camera it not showing the impact time !!

To avoid this issue,i am ordering two cameras and i point them in the front,to cover 140" to left and 140" to right,plus the back cameras.I ordered them from ebay,as soon as i get them,i'l post the records.

that was my first concern, and may mean i will reposition the camera but if not, it should still record enough evidance to proove i am in the right (if i am), in an accident.

If somebody comes from the left or right, the camera will show that i am stationary, or atleast in my correct lane or went through a green light for example.

Robocop !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Robocop !

Yes Joe,i've wished to be Robocop,only by how many times i've seen funny driving styles in front of me and at least once the van stopped in front of me car and jumped to me,thorugh window / door to kick me !

I've ordered two of them and one of this !!
    The last one,comes in my car colour ! :)

Yes Joe,i've wished to be Robocop,only by how many times i've seen funny driving styles in front of me and at least once the van stopped in front of me car and jumped to me,thorugh window / door to kick me !

I've ordered two of them and one of this !!
    The last one,comes in my car colour ! :)

Lol, I always have one of them in the boot :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Just came across this, Not a bad price €50 delivered

IMG_4498.jpg

BX 19 wrote: »
    If you have an Android - Daily Roads Voyger does the job
    Just downloaded it there! What a great app especially being free (will definitely donate to developer if it works good in the car)!

For anyone that has an android and thinking about buying a dashcam, this might do it for you!

I just have to get a phone holder for car (cheap on ebay) and I'm sorted with a dashcam :)

Great thing about the app is the GPS support and can upload on the go.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dailyroads.v

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Have to agree,
    Plenty of options too, like GPS, sound, etc.
    I think the g-force option is great. And video quality is as good as your camera, so in my own case I get 720p. Will also be donating, providing no problems arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I wouldn't be so convinced about that one.
    Guy in front changes lane, but then has to brake suddenly, because there is pedestrian crossing and pedestrian on it. The other car stopped to let pedestrian go through. He realized in the last moment, so stepped on the brakes. Driver with the cam on, didn't cope, even though he should have.

Overtaking a car which stopped in front of pedestrian crossing to let pedestrian cross is one of the worst offences, so I reckon they should all be to blame.

dar83 wrote: »
    With the camera most people are buying off eBay, does anyone have any decent methods of mounting it on your dash instead of having it hanging off the window?

I mounted my that way
    Picture quality is not perfect, but that's all i've got.

190285.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Any dash cam owners concerned the usual scum with a fondness for smashing windows and taking GPS devices or similar might be tempted by the sight of the cam?

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I wonder if videos like this are virals made by companies selling the cams. What's the point of the scam? Do they claim for whiplash ?

I'd say it wasn't intended to be a scam.
    She just stepped on the brakes suddenly to get into parking space on the right. Then reversed because she went too far. And probably didn't realise there was something behind.
    In the end after the crash, she thought she could always say it was the other driver who crashed into her back, not the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Lads is it possible to get an integrated version on these? As in one where there is a small camera attached to the back of the rearview mirror and thats all you see? Sp that it turns on and off with the engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Father in Law got my dash cam in the post in England today. Coming over in two weeks so instead of paying £11 postage I got it sent to him for £0.99. Just have to wait now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

^ So many new additions to the Dash Cam club...I'm nervous now I'll **** up and achieve internet fame :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Any dash cam owners concerned the usual scum with a fondness for smashing windows and taking GPS devices or similar might be tempted by the sight of the cam?

They can be removed as easily as a sat nav when you leave the car.

I leave mine in...it sits under the visor and looks like a toll tag..I covered up and logos / writing on it with black electrical tape :cool:

...plus another reason why I buried the cable.

^ So many new additions to the Dash Cam club...I'm nervous now I'll **** up and achieve internet fame :o
    Lol! Me too. Every dangerous bit a driving I see will be getting uploaded to youtube :)

Quick question:
    If I caught someone doing something very dangerous/illegal and I go to the Gardaí, will they do anything?

Lol! Me too. Every dangerous bit a driving I see will be getting uploaded to youtube :)

Quick question:
    If I caught someone doing something very dangerous/illegal and I go to the Gardaí, will they do anything?

They could certainly look into it, however the owner could deny driving the car that day, etc, etc....I wouldn't go to the garda unless it was something extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Had mine about 2 years now in the same spot, I doubt anyone even notices them when mounted properly.

htds008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This happened only a few hours ago, I know the driver so it's not like he didn't stop by the way, it was only a little bump anyway but he put a little dent in his own bumper.

Another friend later said I was at fault as I didn't leave enough of a gap but I believe it's 100% his fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

cormie wrote: »
    This happened only a few hours ago, I know the driver so it's not like he didn't stop by the way, it was only a little bump anyway but he put a little dent in his own bumper.

Another friend later said I was at fault as I didn't leave enough of a gap but I believe it's 100% his fault.

I love the way you followed your mate around the turning car straight into the path of a megane who looks like they had to brake!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

hardly, but sorry for any lack of concentration after just being reversed into.

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/channelgoods/3043965

Might be of benefit to some on here.

Can anybody comment on the proposed quality of this mini Cam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kceire wrote: »
    http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national-deals/channelgoods/3043965

Might be of benefit to some on here.

Can anybody comment on the proposed quality of this mini Cam?

yeah, they are sh**e and can be bought for less than half that price...

dont waste your time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement