Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Studying Irish

Options
  • 29-03-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Dia daoibh!

I'm looking to study Gaeilge in college but I don't know where. I'm living in the South East but I don't mind travelling far for a good course. Thinking of teaching it alongside Business/Geog/Hist so does anyone know of any good courses?

All help is appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

LCBanter wrote: »
    Dia daoibh!

I'm looking to study Gaeilge in college but I don't know where. I'm living in the South East but I don't mind travelling far for a good course. Thinking of teaching it alongside Business/Geog/Hist so does anyone know of any good courses?

All help is appreciated!

Do you already have teaching qualifications that the Teaching Council recognises in Business, Geography and History? If not, you won't be able to get a position teaching all those subjects. Business is particularly over-subscribed, but all subjects are.

All the universities have good Irish departments, I suppose the one that is easiest for you to get to would be the first choice, unless you have a particular graw for one place more than another.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LCBanter

spurious wrote: »
    Do you already have teaching qualifications that the Teaching Council recognises in Business, Geography and History? If not, you won't be able to get a position teaching all those subjects. Business is particularly over-subscribed, but all subjects are.

All the universities have good Irish departments, I suppose the one that is easiest for you to get to would be the first choice, unless you have a particular graw for one place more than another.

I'm still in secondary school I'm trying to work out where would be the best to study!

Thanks for your help :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why not just study Irish (and perhaps another language)? Good Irish teachers are sometimes hard to come by as many of the best graduates don't go into teaching.

The trend in teaching is away from full-time jobs and most people would be working between five and ten years before they get a contract of anything close to full hours. There is a large over-supply in almost all subjects because as well as the specific teacher education courses, plus the two year M.Ed. in teaching (used to be one year and called the H.Dip), there are also the online courses run by Hibernia, all churning out teaching graduates, all looking for jobs that are not there. If you understand the job situation in teaching and still want to go ahead, go for it.

Advertisement