Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[PR] Phoenix Park Station opens Monday

Options
  • 19-01-2008 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭

www.irishrail.ie
    General News
    New Phoenix Park Station opens Monday 21st January by Corporate Communications

The new Phoenix Park Station will open for commuters on Monday 21st January.

The station will be served by commuter trains on the Maynooth/Clonsilla to Dublin line.

Full timetable details are available at www.irishrail.ie

The station will serve the new Phoenix Park Racecourse development.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

apologies victor

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

Where do all the people go?

They must be putting them on the roof as no room in the carriages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Trampas wrote: »
    Where do all the people go?

They must be putting them on the roof as no room in the carriages

Hopefully extra stations mean extra trains in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Hopefully extra stations mean extra trains in the near future.

Not for the forseeable future. Some trains may however be extended to 8-car formations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

They can do it like they do it in Delhi and Calcutta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭marmajam

Kolkota

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I was on an inbound that stopped at 8.22 this morning and I didn't see a single person on the platform at the station. There were 2 men standing on the stairs-one looked to be an emplyee the other I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

As someone who lives in the PPR you'd think Irish Rail would've even bothered to stick a letter in your letter box telling you the station is now open to be used.

I won't be using it for work but unless they add on a few more trains you might see a lot of Ashtown station people going to the new station. For one, there's loads of parking and two, you can barely get on as it is at Ashtown so if a few more start using the Phoenix Park station it'll get even harder to get on at Ashtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

MarkN wrote: »
    As someone who lives in the PPR you'd think Irish Rail would've even bothered to stick a letter in your letter box telling you the station is now open to be used.

I won't be using it for work but unless they add on a few more trains you might see a lot of Ashtown station people going to the new station. For one, there's loads of parking and two, you can barely get on as it is at Ashtown so if a few more start using the Phoenix Park station it'll get even harder to get on at Ashtown.

Does Phoenix Park have a carpark? Any idea how many cars it can take? Is there a charge for it?

• Advertisement

I'd say it could be free - there's no other reason why you would park there.

There's a lot of spaces, not sure of the exact amount but a lot. At the moment the slip rd from town direction is not open but the slip coming from M50 is and there was a small amount of cars parked there this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I forsee people who drive to Ashtown (and park in Martin Savage Park) driving to Phoenix Park station.
    This will please those living in MSP.

Recently cars there had grease put on their windows. Before Christmas cars were scratched!! All the cars were legally parked (confirmed by the Gardai). Nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

marmajam wrote: »
    Kolkota

Kolkata

daymobrew wrote: »
    I forsee people who drive to Ashtown (and park in Martin Savage Park) driving to Phoenix Park station.
    This will please those living in MSP.

Recently cars there had grease put on their windows. Before Christmas cars were scratched!! All the cars were legally parked (confirmed by the Gardai). Nasty.

Don't agree with that type of scum carry on at all. Is MSP a private estate or former council estate? Just seems like a certain type of breed will start doing that to cars.

I just hope it doesn't affect parking in the racecourse itself, there's not enough room for residents without a designated space as it is and clamping will start very quickly (cause I for one will push for it!! :)) if that car park in the new station starts to overflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The Dublin Bus 38/A, 39 services using the Navan Rd inbound are now serving the station forecourt.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Looks like there are extra services on the Maynooth and Sligo lines from today

www.irishrail.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Don't agree with that type of scum carry on at all. Is MSP a private estate or former council estate?
    It's not a private estate, nor is it the most affluent place in the world.

In Riverwood, beside the Coolmine station, one unknown resident was big into his inaccurate stickers - claimed the parking was illegal though it was changed to "inconvenience" (and that was pushing it too).
    Now the Riverwood Road is home to a lot of yellow paint in the new double yellow lines. I proposed tolerance but the proud NIMBYs shouted me down. (Hi Rosser :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Kolkota

...if you insist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

There's a lot of spaces, not sure of the exact amount but a lot. At the moment the slip rd from town direction is not open but the slip coming from M50 is and there was a small amount of cars parked there this morning

Does that mean that if you say live out Dublin 15 direction and wanted to park in the station that coming home would have to drive all the way down to the roundabout at the Halfway House and then double back on the way you came on the opposite side of the road?

blah wrote: »
    Kolkata

Ah, an alphabet wallah.
    Kolkota and Kolkata are both being acceptable.
    Pronounciation is col-cot-ah.
    You should be looking before you are leaping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Irrespective of how you spell the names of Indian cities, which has little to do with this thread...

Not one person got on my inbound train at Phoenix Park station this morning. One person got off in the evening - both of these being packed peak hour trains.

Has there been any advertising in the local area to greet the new station? Irish Rail took out a 1/2 page advert in some national newspapers today - to announce the arrival of the 22000 Class. Nothing about a new station opening...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine the official opening is next week and then advertising will be for then. So the can have a 'successful' opening party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Didn't see anyone get on or off there, morning or evening. Even still, the train was extremely busy both ways. Coming home, a lot of people got left on the platform at Tara Street - I decided to hot foot it to Connolly. Just wondering, did they shuffle the no of carriages on some trains with the new timetable.

Best thing about the new timetable is the outbound train at 7:30pm - it was bloody inconveniencing to just miss the one at 7 and not have another train for an hour - now the most annoying gaps are inbound of a Friday/Saturday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

This new station was built and paid for by the developer of the old Phoenix park racecourse. No station, no properties. It's a veiled attempt by local Government (watched by actual Government) to look all nice and up to speed with public transport needs. The assumption was that all those new residents use the train or public transport. The assumption went even further and proclaimed that they worked in areas that the train service could serve. The station was used as a sales tool before a single property was built despite it being a naive stipulation.

While the station is not a waste of tax payers money (being paid for privately) it is a drain on the existing network as trains have to stop there. Now we all know about the existing overcrowding, but if you're a developer, all you have to do is build a station. The operator will pick up the tab of stopping trains there and apparently the state will pick up the tab of maintaining the new station and funding the trains to serve it.

So far stations like this (Adamstown) have a very poor take up of patronage, but havent we planned well into the future. :rolleyes: I think the Phoenix park station will eventually develop some off shoot usage as people will drive to it. But that may lead to further problems. The network is already at bursting point. In fact its at a similar stage in problems to the late 70s. Back then we had ****e trains that were very unreliable. These days we have decent trains, but feck all capacity. Lets just hope that the Government actually fund the interconnector and electrification of the existing commuter routes. If they don't, then all this developer funded station frenzy will cause untold damage to what is already a network creaking under the pressure.

Well I checked my postbox again this evening.. Nothing from the developer or IR about the station being open. In fact, the builders and security etc all fecked out of here for good on friday - the same day the station was finished. When buying my apartment here there was no hard sell about the new station being honest but personally if I use the new station twice this year I would be surprised. I also was under the impression I could walk out my door, without leaving the racecourse itself and get onto the bridge and across into the platform but doesn't appear that way!!

gazzer wrote: »
    There's a lot of spaces, not sure of the exact amount but a lot. At the moment the slip rd from town direction is not open but the slip coming from M50 is and there was a small amount of cars parked there this morning

Does that mean that if you say live out Dublin 15 direction and wanted to park in the station that coming home would have to drive all the way down to the roundabout at the Halfway House and then double back on the way you came on the opposite side of the road?

Correct. Wouldn't be huge amount of traffic for you though. Try living in the racecourse, gotta do it all the bloody time ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I haven't a clue how much more houses/ apartments are going to be built in that area but for now that train station is situated in the middle of f***ing nowhere.

I doubt if you have to walk there and take the train that you are much faster than just taking any of the 37/38/39/70 buses into town.

Have to admit i am not traveling during the worst periods of morning and evening traffic so i dont know how bad those buses are around 8/8.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

Seems strange alright.

North - landlocked against canal and fields.
    South - Poor/No access and the Phoenix Park beyond the new developments
    East - No point coming out from town to go back in again
    West - Once you get past the M50/N3 gridlock you are hardly going to change to a (crowded) train at that point with the worst of the journey done

Fine station by the looks of it but without developing the area around it, I can't see the point

I suppose the upshot is that even if the trains are overcrowded, at least the platforms are spacious, airy and empty

icdg wrote: »
    Irrespective of how you spell the names of Indian cities, which has little to do with this thread...

Not one person got on my inbound train at Phoenix Park station this morning. One person got off in the evening - both of these being packed peak hour trains.

Has there been any advertising in the local area to greet the new station? Irish Rail took out a 1/2 page advert in some national newspapers today - to announce the arrival of the 22000 Class. Nothing about a new station opening...
    I am agreeing. Let us stick to the issue of the Feenix Pk station.

• Advertisement

Well you can't exactly pick up a train line and move it alongside the bus stop on the Navan Rd.

I can't imagine much else going in there, you've an Esso, a bit of green, a train station, a bit more green and then an industrial estate of sorts.

Advertisement