Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend me a book

Options
  • 19-11-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks..
    I'm looking for a resource for my 12YO daughter. She has good literacy skills, loves reading books, historical and historical-fiction mainly but anything goes. 4-6 books a week wouldn't be unusual.. She has won a prize for writing when given a topic to go with, but it surprises me that she sometimes has a hard time developing a story for school from her own ideas..

Can anyone recommend a book for her aimed at helping children to develop their writing skills and how do develop their ideas into stories..

I know it will probably develop anyway, just wondering if there was something to give guidance..

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Awkward Author

any of orson scott cards how to write books. I've read a few of them and they're very insightful. Maybe a little heavy for a kid but given your daughters prowess in reading, I'm sure she could handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

A good book is "How not to write a novel, 200 mistakes to avoid", which is easy to read and still gets the point across.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

EileenG wrote: »
    A good book is "How not to write a novel, 200 mistakes to avoid", which is easy to read and still gets the point across.

it certainly does. Have it at home. It's a bit tongue-in-check but it DOES get its specific points across!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Trisha_H

I don't know any by name, sorry. But you might find some good ones listed on Goodreads! You can read reviews and see if it's on any lists, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭AdFundum

I don't know if such books exist for kids. In general, a 12 year old who is a prodigious reader with a desire to write is a rarity. Books on writing aimed at adults, even the more fun ones, might be rather boring for a child and may serve to put her off or just make the whole process laborious.

I would suggest you work with her on things like mind maps (drawing idea trees on poster sized sheets of paper). It might be a more fun and colourful way to think about ideas. In any event, fair play to you for encouraging her. It's a wonderful thing.

It might be worth looking into the Centre for Talented Youth Ireland (CTYI) - they have Summer courses for young people and indeed, their tutors may even be able to help you out with some suggestions.

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

EileenG wrote: »

I finally bought it based on your recommendations over the years.

It's brill.

Some sections might be a bit much for a 12 year old though. :)

Advertisement