Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What cat breed...?

• 28-04-2011 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Which cat breed would you guys recommend for a depressed person as a motivation/comfort?

A small cat preferably, but whatever you guys think!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The contribution an animal can bring to the life of a depressed person depends on the person and their depression and the individual cat and its nature. However I wouldn't recommend giving someone a cat to ease their depression, because if the animal doesn't behave as they want that can contribute to negative feelings. Additionally if the animal were to sicken and die that could be beyond what a depressed person could cope with.

No animal should ever be gifted without consultation with the 'giftee' first. An animal is a huge commitment and if someone is too depressed to even look after themselves, they may not be able to look after an animal.

Depression is not something you can 'snap out of', and adding the care of an animal to the daily responsibilities of a depressed person could have a detrimental effect on that person and the animal.

For instance - long haired cats, the breeds like birmans and ragdolls, tend to be relatively placid and affectionate cats. However their long hair is a problem in itself - if it were to become unkempt it could end up matted and the cat would appear bedraggled and be uncomfortable (mats pull on the skin and can pinch painfully). Short haired breeds like siamese, burmese and abyssinians are fantastically interactive and intelligent cats, but can be 'too much cat' for some folks - furniture destruction, excessive vocalisation, so on.

Sourcing an individual adult cat, whether it be moggy, purebreed or crossbreed from a shelter or through a reputable breeder would be a good way to get a pet whose temperament is already established, but in some cases the cat could have an underlying behavioural problem (like spraying) that would only manifest once in the home and such behaviorual problems would literally drive anyone to depression, let alone someone who was already clinically depressed.

Depending on the circumstances, if the depressed individual lives with a family member or partner who will take ownership of the pet, wants the pet, and will guarantee the health and welfare of the pet (food, water, grooming, worming, vaccinations, vets visits if ill, cleaning litter trays out, so on), then a pet can be of excellent therapeutic benefit, but unfortunately an animal is not a solution to depression.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying depressed people can't have a pet. I'm just saying that giving a surprise gift of an animal to someone isn't a good idea ever, and especially not to a depressed person.

If it's the case that the person in question is you, or a family member, or a partner, and you yourself can take responsibility for the pet, slinkies are generally lower maintenance than furries (in other words short hair over long hair). However I would still recommend you take on an adult cat with an established personality, especially an overtly affectionate cat - a 'smoocher' as it were. You would also be best suited to a cat who has already lived indoors, and keep it as an indoor-only cat or build it an enclosure.

Cats are very prone to accident, injury and death through unrestricted roaming behaviour and you don't want to expose someone suffering from depression to the uncertainty around the fate of their animal just after they become attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tanya1988

i love maine coons there nickname is " the friendly giant " they are so lovable and unique in their own way always come out with funny stuff :D but they are a big enough of a cat but thats just all the furr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Tanya1988 wrote: »
    i love maine coons there nickname is " the friendly giant " they are so lovable and unique in their own way always come out with funny stuff :D but they are a big enough of a cat but thats just all the furr

I don't know anything about them, but do they not need daily brushing? Just thinking that if someone is finding it hard to get motivated, having to do that every day might be too much for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah coonies need brushing. All long haired cats benefit from brushing - and the more they get, the more they're used to it, so it doesn't become a once-a-month-fight that requires eventual sedation to be shaved. Some cats have fur that mats worse than others, and some lines within breeds can even have worse matting tendancies than others. Long haired kitties are a lot of work.

It depends on the type of furr the maine coon has i have to, one matts quiet easily and the other is very silky and never matts, they say to brush them at least once - twice a week. There very friendly though, I wouldn't go past the,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ollie182

Thank you everyone! Yeah the person with depression is myself. I'm 17, past the worst of it (Not getting out of bed etc), I absolutely love animals and definitely wouldnt mind brushing a kitty more than once a week. The maine coon seems like a great idea, Im just not sure about the size because we already have a dog (shes blind and deaf..).
    I was thinking about a cat that stays small like a kitten? And again I dont mind all the hair at all its lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I wouldn't recommend a cat at all for someone just for the purpose of helping with their depression. Pets will often pick up on their owners moods, and can empathise too much with their owner and become depressed/stressed themselves.

If the person you know is genuinely interested in having a cat, because they like cats, rather than just because they need motivation, then great. I'd recommend going to a shelter, rather than buying a pure breed, because then they will know they have done a good thing in rescuing and giving a home to an animal in need.

Don't expect a pet to solve a problem or provide a cure for a person though. That could end up causing more difficulties for both the person and the animal.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't realise you were talking about yourself. I'm leaving this post though, because it might be relevant for someone else.

The contribution an animal can bring to the life of a depressed person depends on the person and their depression and the individual cat and its nature. However I wouldn't recommend giving someone a cat to ease their depression, because if the animal doesn't behave as they want that can contribute to negative feelings. Additionally if the animal were to sicken and die that could be beyond what a depressed person could cope with.

No animal should ever be gifted without consultation with the 'giftee' first. An animal is a huge commitment and if someone is too depressed to even look after themselves, they may not be able to look after an animal.

Depression is not something you can 'snap out of', and adding the care of an animal to the daily responsibilities of a depressed person could have a detrimental effect on that person and the animal.

For instance - long haired cats, the breeds like birmans and ragdolls, tend to be relatively placid and affectionate cats. However their long hair is a problem in itself - if it were to become unkempt it could end up matted and the cat would appear bedraggled and be uncomfortable (mats pull on the skin and can pinch painfully). Short haired breeds like siamese, burmese and abyssinians are fantastically interactive and intelligent cats, but can be 'too much cat' for some folks - furniture destruction, excessive vocalisation, so on.

Sourcing an individual adult cat, whether it be moggy, purebreed or crossbreed from a shelter or through a reputable breeder would be a good way to get a pet whose temperament is already established, but in some cases the cat could have an underlying behavioural problem (like spraying) that would only manifest once in the home and such behaviorual problems would literally drive anyone to depression, let alone someone who was already clinically depressed.

Depending on the circumstances, if the depressed individual lives with a family member or partner who will take ownership of the pet, wants the pet, and will guarantee the health and welfare of the pet (food, water, grooming, worming, vaccinations, vets visits if ill, cleaning litter trays out, so on), then a pet can be of excellent therapeutic benefit, but unfortunately an animal is not a solution to depression.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying depressed people can't have a pet. I'm just saying that giving a surprise gift of an animal to someone isn't a good idea ever, and especially not to a depressed person.

If it's the case that the person in question is you, or a family member, or a partner, and you yourself can take responsibility for the pet, slinkies are generally lower maintenance than furries (in other words short hair over long hair). However I would still recommend you take on an adult cat with an established personality, especially an overtly affectionate cat - a 'smoocher' as it were. You would also be best suited to a cat who has already lived indoors, and keep it as an indoor-only cat or build it an enclosure.

Cats are very prone to accident, injury and death through unrestricted roaming behaviour and you don't want to expose someone suffering from depression to the uncertainty around the fate of their animal just after they become attached to it.

That's really insightful, though I'm not getting a cat for a different depressed person - you're right, that would be very risky. I think having the cat would motivate me some more, because I would HAVE to brush it, HAVE to feed it etc., and theres no way, no matter how down I was, that I'd let an animal suffer at all. I think an indoors cat would be the best idea, because again you're right, with the uncertainty around its fate it would have me worrying if it was out for too long and the likes.

Are there species of cats that are 'indoor' cats, or is it just how the individual cat is raised?

At home in my house ive the two maine coons & two purebred dogs, a parrot & 2 lovebirds. The cats gets on very well with the parrot and dogs there very interactive so I doubt you would have a problem with your dog, it might take a couple of days to get use to each other. Cats are great companions, I have a number of a maine coon breeder but it is in county Kilkenny/borderline Co. Waterford. Not to sure distance wise for you though??

Ah that sounds like great fun altogether! :D Im in North Dublin so quite a bit away from there, however if I do get a kitty I wouldnt mind sortin out transport to wherever, would you be able to give me the number? :D

• Advertisement

Ollie182 wrote: »
    Ah that sounds like great fun altogether! :D Im in North Dublin so quite a bit away from there, however if I do get a kitty I wouldnt mind sortin out transport to wherever, would you be able to give me the number? :D
    No problem i will private message them to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

Don't get a Cat. Look up T.gondii, and then come back and thank me.

Most warm blooded animals carry T.gondii. My family & I had cat's all our lives... nothing wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

Tanya1988 wrote: »
    Most warm blooded animals carry T.gondii. My family & I had cat's all our lives... nothing wrong with them.
    -
    That's proof enough that you are infected. Unnecessary risk taking is one of the main symptoms.

POINTBREAK wrote: »
    -
    That's proof enough that you are infected. Unnecessary risk taking is one of the main symptoms.

Haha hilarious, just because you have cat's does not mean you have it

"Transmission of oocysts present in garden soil, children's sandboxes, litter boxes, and anywhere cats may defecate can be avoided by wearing rubber gloves during contact with [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]contaminated [COLOR=blue !important]soil[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] or litter. Wash your hands thoroughly after contact. Cover sandboxes to prevent cats from defecating in them. Get rid of feces from litter boxes every day, and disinfect them with scalding water or dry heat; [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]chemical [/COLOR][COLOR=blue !important]disinfection[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    grey_loader.gif
    is not effective in destroying oocysts. "

your reading into it too much.. & reading into things = bad for you.

Do not eat raw or undercooked meat. Meat should be cooked to a temperature of at least 160°F for 20 minutes.
    Do not drink unpasteurized milk.
    Do not eat unwashed fruits and vegetables.
    Wash hands and food preparation surfaces with warm soapy water after handling raw meat.
    Wear gloves when gardening. Wash hands after gardening.
    Wash hands before eating (especially for children).
    Keep children's sandboxes covered.
    Do not drink water from the environment unless it is boiled.
    Do not feed raw meat or undercooked meat to cats. Also, do not give them unpasteurized milk.
    Do not allow cats to hunt or roam.
    Do not allow cats to use a garden or children's play area as their litter box.
    Remove feces from the litter box daily and clean with boiling or scalding water.
    Pregnant women, and persons with suppressed immune systems, should not clean the litter box.
    Control rodent populations and other potential intermediate hosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Toria Q

Ollie, its great that you are looking into ways to making you feel better, I dont think it will take too long as you sound like a very warm caring person, I too have a great love for all animals. I have loads of rescue cats, I think people are just leaving them on my door step at this stage :)
    I have a few suggestions for you though, firstly, dont put yourself under too much pressure looking for a certain breed of cat, particularly an expensive one. There are plenty of abandoned kittens looking for good homes with some who has a big heart like yourself. A standard short or long haired cat will give back as much as any fancy breed. Why not have a look around at some of the local shelters, and while your there, why not see if they need volunteers to help out with some of the animals? They'd be crying out for people like you. Then you can see if you can really commit to taking one into your home for full time care.

Anyway, best of luck with all your ventures.
    Toria.

Toria Q wrote: »
    Ollie, its great that you are looking into ways to making you feel better, I dont think it will take too long as you sound like a very warm caring person, I too have a great love for all animals. I have loads of rescue cats, I think people are just leaving them on my door step at this stage :)
    I have a few suggestions for you though, firstly, dont put yourself under too much pressure looking for a certain breed of cat, particularly an expensive one. There are plenty of abandoned kittens looking for good homes with some who has a big heart like yourself. A standard short or long haired cat will give back as much as any fancy breed. Why not have a look around at some of the local shelters, and while your there, why not see if they need volunteers to help out with some of the animals? They'd be crying out for people like you. Then you can see if you can really commit to taking one into your home for full time care.

Anyway, best of luck with all your ventures.
    Toria.

Cheers Toria! Yeah the plan is to go to the Dublin SPCA on Tuesday, after doin the amount of research about it I've decided that if I adopt, Ill adopt a rescue cat.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Thank you everyone! Yeah the person with depression is myself. I'm 17, past the worst of it (Not getting out of bed etc), I absolutely love animals and definitely wouldnt mind brushing a kitty more than once a week. The maine coon seems like a great idea, Im just not sure about the size because we already have a dog (shes blind and deaf..).
    I was thinking about a cat that stays small like a kitten? And again I dont mind all the hair at all its lovely!

If its a small cat you're looking for, then a maine coon is NOT the right cat. They are huge, just google image the breed and you'll see how big they are. My male is 7 months old and almost a stone in weight already. They are very friendly, but we have a moggie that we rescued who's even friendlier and is the most tolerant cat I have ever met. If you go the rescue route, you can see how friendly some of the kittens are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Shanao wrote: »
    If its a small cat you're looking for, then a maine coon is NOT the right cat. They are huge, just google image the breed and you'll see how big they are. My male is 7 months old and almost a stone in weight already. They are very friendly, but we have a moggie that we rescued who's even friendlier and is the most tolerant cat I have ever met. If you go the rescue route, you can see how friendly some of the kittens are.

Would agree with Shanao about coonies being big cats however they have a fab personality. My fellow is trained to use the human toilet and also plays fetch with tin foil balls. Extremely clever boy :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqxF2c0VkFE

Heres my fellow!Kitty2.jpg

P.s: Have you considered fostering kittens whilst they await a home from a shelter. This may have been mentioned before so forgive me as I havn't read all the thread :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭muireann50

Have you thought about fostering kittens or cats first? I foster for the dspca and it is one of the most rewarding things i've ever done. They have loads of little kittens looking for foster homes at the moment. You usually keep them for between 2 and 6 weeks. It would be a great way to find out if you're really ready for the commitment of a cat

After 7 months of debating whether I was physically well enough to get a cat, we've all decided I've come on enough to finally get one. I'll be getting one second week of February, the day after my LC mocks. Just read over all the posts from everyone and am very grateful for the support.

I'll post a picture when I get her.

In the meantime, I've decided that buying the required things like bed, scratch post, litter box etc. would be a good idea to get gradually rather than leaving everything to the last minute and having a stress over money - I realise they're an expensive addition to the family! So I have a few questions....

-Who do you guys recommend for cat insurance? Most importantly!
    -Where would you recommend for beds and boxes and scratch toys etc. in the North Dublin area?
    -Where do you keep the litter box? I was thinking my bathroom. It's quiet in there.
    -Can I 'train' a young kitten to be an indoor cat, or is that mean? I have very valid reasons for wanting her to be an indoor cat! :D

Any help would go a long way :)

Cheers guys! x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

After 7 months of debating whether I was physically well enough to get a cat, we've all decided I've come on enough to finally get one.
    Ah well done Ollie, firstly on feeling better and secondly putting sooo much thought into getting a pet. I only wish many people would do so. To answer your questions and from my point of view:
    wrote:
    Who do you guys recommend for cat insurance?
    Allianz are probably the most well known and most people i know have little or no hassle with claims. Im with petinsure.ie on the basic Careplan which costs around €6/mth. Im lucky in that i can get most medical treatment free, but surgical isnt. My advice is read the small print. I barely read the small print on my mortgage :o but spent longer reading the fine print of these insurance policies. Do a list of what each plan is incl their monthly premiums,what the excess is,whats covered and not and decide then.
    wrote:
    Where would you recommend for beds and boxes and scratch toys etc. in the North Dublin area?
    MaxiZoo in Finglas are really good. They always have deals on things like this. Sign up for their news letter.
    wrote:
    Where do you keep the litter box? I was thinking my bathroom. It's quiet in there.
    Yep, perfect. My 2 boxes are in my spare room as my bathroom isnt big enough.The main thing is to keep it access friendly,clean and dont alternate positions constantly. I prefer the covered over trays with a hood but with a kitten you can start with a small tray with about an inch of litter. I use Lidls litter called Otto. Not everyones preference but its €2.99 for 10kg and it works for me. Some overfill the tray. I just put about 2inches in at a time. Scoop out the clumps daily (takes 30 seconds) and refill each weekend. Everyone has a different method.
    wrote:
    Can I 'train' a young kitten to be an indoor cat, or is that mean? I have very valid reasons for wanting her to be an indoor cat!
    Of course you can. Cats do amazingly well as indoor pets only as long as they have enough mental stimulation for the times you're not there.Its healthier and safer for them in the long run tbh. Ive changed my mind on this only in the last few months,only because im now beginning to understand that there are far too many hazards and cat haters out there. My cat hasnt been outside on his own since Sep and he's no worse off behaviour wise and its less of a worry for me. This doesnt mean i wont(im not quite there yet :o), but ive slowly come to terms with the "fun" they have outside isnt worth the stress of me wondering every single time will he come back.

Fostering is a great way to start without totally committing yourself yet. A quick google search for your county will give you lots of options to think about. Good luck...its brilliant being a pet owner.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lucycat

OP, i would second what anniehoo said about keeping a cat as an indoor only pet. I have two cats and they have never gone outside on their own. They play all day with our two dogs and rabbit, they have a massive cat tree in the kitchen that they like to do their daily gymnastics on and we have a den upstairs that is basically a kitty playroom :D They love this tunnel thing we got them and we also got them plenty of catnip toys, little balls that have bells in them, etc. You can get all that stuff on zooplus.ie and its not terribly expensive.

I think you have your heart set on a Maine Coon now, but I would definitely suggest looking into the possibility of rehoming a cat. There are so many poor kitties out there who would love a home with you, our two were rescues and they are the coolest, cleverest cats ever. We have one 'smoocher' as The Sweeper calls them (too cute :D) and we have one more aloof lady, but they both rock.

Would you consider getting two cats? They are very clean animals and it genuinely isnt as much of a shock to the system as getting two dogs for example?

Either way, I hope that you get your kitty soon and please keep us updated with a pic or two! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Excited for you!
    Covered tray in bathroom is perfect.
    A laser light will be useful for tiring kitten out and fun to watch. A cardboard box with holes cut out is an inexpensive toy. A tall scratching post if you can get one.
    We use Allianz insurance.
    If its a pedigree you are getting they will be indoor anyway so very easy to maintain that. If its a kitten from a rescue just keep him/ her entertained and they will be fine!
    Good luck!

Advertisement