Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

The Gambler is worth checking out on irish netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Roquentin wrote: »
    The Gambler is worth checking out on irish netflix.
    Which Gambler? The Fritz Lang one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Watched about half an episode of BoJack Horseman, has to be the worst Netflix original there is.

Awful programme :pac:

I finished the series there a few days ago, it was fantastic.
    First episode, maybe even the first few were poor, but once it hit it's stride its amazing. Particularly episode 11.

If you can stick through the first 2-3 episodes, you should give it another shot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Which Gambler? The Fritz Lang one?

the one with james caan.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    Gravity has been added to Netflix Sweden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Hell On Wheels season 4 (premiered on August 2nd) is on US Netflix now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Also been watching Mad Dogs on Canadian Netflix

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1652218/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It drags on a bit sometimes but well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Mission to the edge of space

Interesting enough doc telling the story of the Red Bull Stratos record breaking sky dive.
    It certainly conveyed quite strongly the amount of time and prep that went into completing this.

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues added to Netflix Canada.

All Is Lost added to Netflix US.

All 4 season of Dragnet(1960's) added to Netflix US.

Few new additions to the US Netflix

All is Lost - Robert Redford starring man versus the elements tale that's well worth a watch.
    Kid Cannabis - Decent enough low budget thriller from John Stockwell.
    Rogor Mortis - Juno Mak directed horror film that's visually stunning
    Whitewash - Low key thriller with Thomas Hayden Church, well worth checking out.

• Advertisement

Gravity has been added to Netflix Sweden.
    Is the 3D version on there? I don't have a 3D telly so can't check but when I accessed Netflix on a PS3 before on a 3D TV some 3D titles were available (mostly documentqries)

Is the 3D version on there? I don't have a 3D telly so can't check but when I accessed Netflix on a PS3 before on a 3D TV some 3D titles were available (mostly documentqries)

I have now idea to be honest I don't have a 3D telly so I never look for anything in 3D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues added to Netflix Canada.

The Dark Knight Rises.

12 Years A Slave.

The Canadian Netflix seem to be leading the way for new additions recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭delboy85

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    The Dark Knight Rises.

12 Years A Slave.

The Canadian Netflix seem to be leading the way for new additions recently.

Yeah, Netflix Canada seems to be the best of all the international versions. Netherlands is pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I have now idea to be honest I don't have a 3D telly so I never look for anything in 3D.

3d delivery is bandwidth dependent - I think netflix recommend 12megabits as a minimum otherwise stick to 2d

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

No 3D version. In fact, no 3D at all for some reason on the Swedish offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Wait, does netflix do 3D?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Yes, I've watched a few documentaries in 3D in the US version.

• Noticed Rush is on the Norwegian netflix.

Not sure if it's only been added but never noticed it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking it must be for them to get it. I'm delighted anyway as I've never actually seen it.

Beware: the show doesn't conclude. It wasn't renewed after the third season. It doesn't end on a cliffhanger or anything and it's top quality viewing but don't go in expecting a satisfying conclusion.

• Advertisement

Wait, does netflix do 3D?
    As I mentioned, I saw a category on the PS3 Netflix app for 3D a few minths ago. I can't remember if it was the US one though. Afaik the titles only appear as an option if connected to a 3D TV, on PS3 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Guys:

Have 6 cold ones here :)

Anything good for tonight ? SCI-FI / Horror region unimportant

Guys:

Have 6 cold ones here :)

Anything good for tonight ? SCI-FI / Horror region unimportant

Here's a list of horror films on the various regions that I posted a few pages back.
    Absentia - Great low budget horror that has more going on than most big budget genre fare.

The Divide - Sadly it's not the directors cut but this is one of the grimes post apocalyptic sci-fi horrors you are likely to come across.

House of the Devil - A slow burner that's all about mood and atmosphere. It's a deliberly paced 80s style horror that puts much of the genre to shame.

Pontypool - Perhaps the best zombie film of recent years, it's an intimate horror film with a small cast of characters and a single location with one of the best hooks in horror cinema. Clever, fun and with great performances, it's essential viewing.

Detention - One of the best meta horror film of all time. Visually it's gorgeous and the script is funny and smart and has some great moments.

The Snowtown Murders - A brutal and harrowing story of two serial killers in Australia. It's ugly, grisly and disturbing.

We Are What We Are - Superb horror remake from Jim Mickle and Nick Damici. A southern gothic horror that's amongst the most atmospheric and dark indie films of the past few years.

Beyond the Black Rainbow - One of those straight to DVD horrors that deserves to find an audience. It's an affectionate hoamge to all those great sci-fi and horrors of the 80s and has an adolescent glee that's infectious. It's bizarre, features good performances and some truly haunting visuals.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - A horror comedy done right with a game cast and some inventive kills. It's good natured fun and rather sweet.

The Expelled - Low budget as it gets but with a decent script and some decent performances. It's pretty much a remake of Ils set in a school and while it doesn't do much original it remains a tight, well structured genre film that doesn't pander to the audeince.

Asylum Blackout - One of the bleakest and most unrelentingly grim horror films in years. There's a constant sense of menace present and is one of those films which some will love and most will despise and personally I loved it thanks to the dank, dark, depraved nature of it.

Maniac - One of best horror remakes ever made. The film is first and foremost a visual feast that makes great use of the near constant POV shooting style. Elijah Wood is great as Frank, the twisted antagonist we follow and it's one of those horrors that's visceral and dark without ever reveling in it.

Outpost: Black Sun - After the original this is easily the best Nazi zombie film. Much like Aliens this sequel ramps everything up to 11 and goes all out. It's good fun and has some interesting moments.

Ravenous - A dark and twisted cannibal tale set in the old west. It's dark, unsettling and rather funny with some great performances, a superb score and a game cast.

Borderland - One of the better holidaymakers abroad get attacked entries. That it's cast play their age is a nice change of pace and there's more going on that you initially think. It's not big or clever but it is fun and has a rather nasty mean streak running throughout.

The Lords of Salem - it's up there with the best that the genre has to offer. A truly unique tale that's told in a restrained and adult manner. It's been a long time since a film has managed to create such an unrelentingly grim sense of fireboding and while the end does squander the buildup it's still a magnificent piece of work. Zombie's imagery is exceptional and called to mind Kubrick, Argento, Polanski, etc yet it never feels like imitation. The first entry into number 5 features one of cinemas most mind blowingly beautiful moments and there's really not a single moment in the film that you couldn't hang in a gallery.

It's the most nature, restrained and intelligent horror I've seen in quite sometime and the lack of gore and jump scares is refreshing. It's a film all about mood and atmosphere and anyone looking for something a little different is in for a treat. I really hope that Zombie's decision to move away from horror is temporary as I really want to see what he does next.

Just seen the fantastic Minority report on Netflix Netherlands ;) I think thats me set for tonight TV wise.

Just seen the fantastic Minority report on Netflix Netherlands ;) I think thats me set for tonight TV wise.
    I think that has aged very well.

I think that has aged very well.

Its up there with Spielberg's very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its up there with Spielberg's very best.

I'd agree, I think the ending is a bit schmaltzy, and I'm a fan of his but it's a bugbear with a lot of his movies for me tbh. but it's a superb film, I remember being really impressed with Colin Farrell in it way back then, he's has some absolute stinker performances since but when he wants to he can really act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

If anyone enjoyed Shane Carruth's Primer, his new film Upstream Colour (now on Netflix) doesn't fail to deliver. Wonderfully dreamy and thought-provoking.

The Blacklist season 1 added to Netflix US.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Blacklist season 1 added to Netflix US.

Watching first episode now. Seems very paint by the numbers. Hope it improves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement