Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can/Should you ski if you're pregnant??

• 14-02-2012 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭

What's the consensus? Is this advisable? And if so is there a limit on it (no. of weeks pregnant, etc)?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I would say seek the advise of your doctor. Nobody on the internet would be qualified enough to give you the advise you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

From all accounts. No. Some luantic could hit into you or sommat - even if you're a competent skiier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The general concensus for all exercise during a a normal pregnancy is that if you are good at the activity, you can continue, but moderate your efforts to your comfort level.

I did ski when I was pregnant. Twice in fact, but the second time I was only a few weeks pregnant, and the biggest problem was frequent loo stops and a limited selection of things I could eat. I ended asking the hostel kitchen to boil eggs for me twice a day.

The other time, I was 15 weeks pregnant, and felt well, and had no trouble sking. I stayed on runs that were easier than I would normally do, and didn't have any problems. Well, only that I was expanding rapidly, and by the end of the week, I couldn't zip up my ski suit and had to ski with it open!

I did have a couple of falls, but no more than I had at home, and no problems for the bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Sister in law skied while 3 months pregnant but stayed on blues and greens and cruised baby is fine and 6 years old now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

No it would be very very selfish

• Advertisement

Pregnant women are advised to stay active, for the safe of their babies as well as their own health. What activities do you consider safe? I fell over more often walking in Dublin than I did skiing. And fell harder too.

EileenG wrote: »

Pregnant women are advised to stay active, for the safe of their babies as well as their own health. What activities do you consider safe? I fell over more often walking in Dublin than I did skiing. And fell harder too.
    I would consider walking safe. Don't you?

I fell over more often walking than I did skiing. And falling over on the streets of Dublin is not what I would consider safe. Would you?

I fell over more often walking than I did skiing. And falling over on the streets of Dublin is not what I would consider safe. Would you?
    You asked what activity I considered safe and I said walking. I still do.....do you consider walking safe? You didn't answer....I answered your question. Please answer mine before asking another.

I consider walking with an altered center of gravity to be less safe than skiing or cycling. Do you seriously mean that you would confine all pregnant women to walking? Where is the medical research to show that walking is sufficent exercise for a pregnant woman?

• Advertisement

I consider walking with an altered center of gravity to be less safe than skiing or cycling. Do you seriously mean that you would confine all pregnant women to walking? Where is the medical research to show that walking is sufficent exercise for a pregnant woman?
    It's a simple question..., all it needs is yes or no. Do you consider walking safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,882 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a simple question..., all it needs is yes or no. Do you consider walking safe?

What is your problem? She answered your question quite clearly.

Stark wrote: »

What was the answer? Yes or no ?

There is no definitive answer. Walking on ice? No. Walking while drunk? Walking with a huge bump? No.

When I was pregnant, I didn't fall off my bicycle once, I fell over three times while walking, and sprained my groin badly.

And you didn't answer my question. What activity do you consider safe for an active pregnant woman?

Stark wrote: »

So see above - there's no answer it appears Stark

There is no definitive answer. Walking on ice? No. Walking while drunk? Walking with a huge bump? No.

When I was pregnant, I didn't fall off my bicycle once, I fell over three times while walking, and sprained my groin badly.

And you didn't answer my question. What activity do you consider safe for an active pregnant woman?
    I did answer. I consider walking safe as I stated.

You may find this link useful

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/toprecommendedexercises.html

Skiing is not a recommend exercise while pregnant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Everything is a calculated risk. But I'm relatively confident that skiing each year results in more serious injuries + hospitalization + death than walking.

You can take your time walking. You probably won't fall. If you do you will probably get your hands out in front of you and be capable of shielding your belly from the impact. You have more time to react... If you happen to get injured your are most likely reachable via ambulance.

You can take your time skiing. You probably won't fall. But you can't control the muppet who flies into you. Also when you fall you dont just stop, you usually roll. Skis fly in the air. Trees get in the way... etc etc. If you are injured you might wait quite a long time. In the cold. Preggers. Doesn't sound fun.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I think skiing while pregnant would be taking a big risk, especially as its an activity purely for your own enjoyment.

However if you are an accomplished skier then it is a calculated risk and only you and your partner can know the answer.

If you do decide to go skiing I wouldn't tell anyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd have thought that doing something new is more dangerous when pregnant.

If you've never skied before then it would definitely be a no-no. If it's something that your doing regularly then it's not really hugely different than trying to negotiate a flight of stairs in terms of risk. You could fall doing either, you could get knocked over by a stray child going too fast past you doing either. Doing the skiing though you are more likely to have a soft landing and swift removal to hospital available than if you are lying at the bottom of the stairs with a twisted leg or something.

Stick to the easy runs and no off-piste or tree runs. Stop for a hot chocolate when ever you feel like it. Enjoy the view and fresh air.

Of course once fitting into you ski gear becomes too much of a struggle then it might be time to just chill out in the town instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

In fairness to Paddy Bateman, I think what he's getting at is - why take unnecessary risks when carrying a child???

when you are walking, generally speaking you don't have same risks IE

- falling at an increased velocity
    - possibly colliding with an object/person at an increased velocity
    - or even worse, some lunatic careering into you.

generally speaking - you don't have to worry about these things while "negotiating a set of stairs"

I don't see why you would risk it. Doing something like skiing is very different to going to concerts/festivals etc or other things that a lot pregnant women may be scared off doing , but yet are comparatively much safer.

And also - take into account this is a sensitive subject - so be prepared for robust responses.

If you were my wife I would politely suggest we can wait another year to skiing (then if you disagreed I'd probably demand it)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

fyp
    If you were my wife I would politely suggest YOU can wait another year to skiing (then if you disagreed I'd probably demand it)

...and off I'd go on my own. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

I have skied pregnant, I think I was about four months along. I would consider myself a pretty good skier and I took it pretty easy, stuck to mostly blues, didnt go on overly populated runs. Never had any problems. Usually just did half day though and plenty of toilet/hot chocolate breaks. I think I would happily ski up to about six months but probably not after that, wouldnt have enough energy in 3rd trimester. My only concern would have been avoiding any lunatics that might be out of control, so you would want to stay alert for crazies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

robinph wrote: »
    I'd have thought that doing something new is more dangerous when pregnant.

In the context of your pregnancy, it is new. Unless you were skiing all season, and then fell pregnant in the middle of it! Most people just do a week a year - and it's quite a physical demand on your body. Not one that's easily recreated by alternate exercises.

I did ski when I was pregnant, twice, and suffered far less ill-effects that walking in the streets of Dublin. Anyone who says there are no lunatics to career into you when you are walking hasn't tried that.

All the baby books have big sections telling you not to worry about falling over, the baby is very well protected. At 3-4 months, the baby is tiny, pretty much a clump of cells in a water balloon. It would take a lot more than a tumble in snow to do any damage. By far the biggest risk is unsuitable meds or booze.

The female body is pretty good at telling you what works and what doesn't. A pregnant woman who is over-doing it will get exhaustion which wipes her out.

If you are a competant skier, and are prepared to take it easy, I can't see the problem.

Oh yeah, and I skied when I was breastfeeding, and my milk was fine, thank you.

If you were my wife I would politely suggest we can wait another year to skiing (then if you disagreed I'd probably demand it)

And if I were your wife and you tried that, you'd soon be lacking the equipment required to get anyone pregnant.

In spite of what the calendar said, each of my pregnancies lasted at least three years. I couldn't eat, couldn't drink, couldn't take a pain pill, had to pee six times every hour, including all through the night, so couldn't sleep either. Only the thought of going skiing kept me sane.

Incidently, it was always after I went skiing that I was able to eat again without puking.

robinph wrote: »
    fyp

...and off I'd go on my own. :D

No more use for your dangly bits, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

EileenG, there isn't a doubt in my mind that your views on this thread are more than coloured by the fact that you've already done it.

How could you possibly have an impartial view on the matter in the circumstances?

If doctors (who are the hell are they anyway right?) say going skiing while pregnant is not recommended there may not be any need for further debate on the subject.

Therefore recommending going skiing to a pregnant woman on here is somewhat irresponsible surely? I'm not a doctor, nor have I been pregnant, nor am I a woman, so I can't say what 'feels' good or what 'might' be OK.

For the sake of his tackle, I hope you're other half doesn't something worse than suggesting you try not to take other unnessary risks with his unborn children!

EileenG, there isn't a doubt in my mind that your views on this thread are more than coloured by the fact that you've already done it.

How could you possibly have an impartial view on the matter in the circumstances?

If doctors (who are the hell are they anyway right?) say going skiing while pregnant is not recommended there may not be any need for further debate on the subject.

Therefore recommending going skiing to a pregnant woman on here is somewhat irresponsible surely? I'm not a doctor, nor have I been pregnant, nor am I a woman, so I can't say what 'feels' good or what 'might' be OK.

For the sake of his tackle, I hope you're other half doesn't something worse than suggesting you try not to take other unnessary risks with his unborn children!
    As stated I feel it's very very selfish to do so

• Advertisement

It's not a case of "recommending skiing whilst pregnant", but more "is there a reason to cancel my trip now I'm pregnant". Two different questions.

If you are already planning on going skiing, then discover you are pregnant then that is a different situation to planning a skiing trip after the discovery. It's also likely to be a whole different stage in the pregnancy that the skiing would be happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement