Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-Hop 2012

• 01-01-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Aye.

New year, whats to look forward to?

Will we get Detox?:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

lol I wouldnt hold my breath on detox... i taught 11 was finally the year we would see it.

looking forward to 2012 some great music ahead, got into a lot of new hip hop in 11 and got to know a lot of new rappers but of the the top of my head here are some of the things im looking forward to...
    • kendrick lamars debut album
    • watch the throne 2 and solo albums from both jay and kanye is on the cards
    • 50's new album
    • Outkast re-union
    • the new Wu tang alum with everyone coming together again
      • lamar and cole collab album
      • eminem new album ? (maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Dying for an outkast reunion or at least some nice solo material from andre.

Also looking forward to this potential dmx album and i hear cube is 7 tracks into a new album so i would absolutely love that to be released in 2012.

also hoping for some joe budden solo work as well, a friend of mine got me into him a few weeks back and he is one of the most intellectual active rappers out there today in my opinion.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Dying for an outkast reunion or at least some nice solo material from andre.

Also looking forward to this potential dmx album and i hear cube is 7 tracks into a new album so i would absolutely love that to be released in 2012.

also hoping for some joe budden solo work as well, a friend of mine got me into him a few weeks back and he is one of the most intellectual active rappers out there today in my opinion.

outkast re-union would be class, either way as you said i think we will get something of andre anyway he's over due imo.

ye don't know how i forgot about X, thats right up near the top of my list of hip hop im looking forward too this year.

cube needs to bring it this time around, I am the west just wasn't good enough imo had a few nice songs but for the best part it just should of been better.

on budden, i was never was a big fan of his solo work tbh mate could never get in on his music and enjoy it... liked a bit of his more early stuff and really loved pump it up thats one of my fav songs to workout too... i know he can be quite active on the mixtape scene with his mood muzik series etc but whatever it is i just dont really like his style/sound.:(

Yeah he's not really for everybody, I just got into him off one song and it lead on from there. In saying all that I really don't like slaughterhouse as a group.

Just remembered EPMD are bringing out a new album this year called "there's no business like show business" , really looking forward to this, would love to hear from them this year.

And nas and commons album too, that looks quality, 2012 looks like it's gonna be a good year for hip hop.:D

• Advertisement

Yeah he's not really for everybody, I just got into him off one song and it lead on from there. In saying all that I really don't like slaughterhouse as a group.

ye he really isn't now but in fairness i can see the other side of the coin too because he can rap and is very lyrical its just he can be a bit too deep and depressing at times for me.

on slaughterhouse, im a fan but i wouldn't call myself a huge fan. I know there fairly popular with some here on the forum too but i started listening to them solely because im a big fan of royce's stuff he is the one i really keep an ear out for while listening to them most of the time but im looking forward too see what there shady debut will be like thats also coming in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I reckon we might see Big Boi's latest offering next year. That's as long as it isn't held up by the label again this time round.

Also Chamillionaire should be dropping his album as well. He's finally gone independent so he hasn't got any label executives dictating to him the content of the album. Should be an absolute banger when it gets released. He'll be dropping a lot of mixtapes and free songs in the lead up to it to build hype. And as he is imo one of the best self-promoters in the game it's definitely one to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I'm looking forward to evrything that's been mentioned

Others I'm expecting good things from would be;

Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientelle 2: This is the longest Ghost has worked on an album since Fishscale, and apparently he's going back to his original Supreme Clientelle/stream of consciousness style, so it should definitely be interesting

Killer Mike and EL-P - R.A.P Music; To me, very few people possess the mic presence of Killer Mike, the guy just dominates all kinds of beats, and over some EL Producto production I'm expecting big things from this. Oh, and that snippet from last year was flames!

Pusha T's solo, Drake and Rick Ross' album, Freddie Gibbs' offical debut plus the album with Madlib, Bad Meets Evil LP (Maybe); there's a lot to look forward to next year

• Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

After hearing about him on these boards, I can't fuc*ing wait for Hopsin's album Knock Madness. Can't stop listening to his album Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

sheehy83 wrote: »
    After hearing about him on these boards, I can't fuc*ing wait for Hopsin's album Knock Madness. Can't stop listening to his album Raw.

Yes, definitely can not wait for this album.

Looking forward to Detox, Cube, DMX and most other things mentioned in this thread too. Hopefully Outcast release some good stuff, either or both of them and I hope the EPMD thing actually follows through.

Slaughterhouse hopefully release some better stuff, same with bad meets evil or any combination of these solo.

Also a mixtape and an album from Sage Francis and B Dolan (although I am still not that big of a fan of Dolans)

It will be a good year for Hip-Hop (hopefully).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

New Ski Beatz, Stally, Alchemist and Curren$y projects.

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientelle 2: This is the longest Ghost has worked on an album since Fishscale, and apparently he's going back to his original Supreme Clientelle/stream of consciousness style, so it should definitely be interesting

Can't wait for this. Ghost is in my top-3 rappers. Fishscale was a brilliant album imo, as was Supreme Clientele. Can't wait to hear what he puts out this time round.
    Looking forward to Detox, Cube, DMX and most other things mentioned in this thread too. Hopefully Outcast release some good stuff, either or both of them and I hope the EPMD thing actually follows through.

Listen out for Big Boi's album. He should have a track or two featuring Andre as well. I know it's not much but it should whet your appetite before they, hopefully, get back together.
    Orizio wrote: »
    New Ski Beatz, Stally, Alchemist and Curren$y projects.

It's dropping on 4/20. Wouldn't have expected anything less than that from Curren$y. Looking forward to it. Covert Coup was very good.

Is this just another mixtape or is it something more?

Method Man said that he's releasing another album. It'll be produced entirely by RZA. Unfortunately it's going to be Meth's last album. He's only just turned 40, so I highly doubt that it'll be his last album. Not sure of a date for this yet, or even if it'll drop in 2012.

Fabolous is releasing "Loso's Way 2" next summer. Hopefully it'll be a good one.

I'm looking forward to hearing from Pusha T as well. I liked his verses on Kanye's album and then the song that he did with Tyler a couple of months back.

Same goes for Big K.R.I.T. He had some nice tunes out there from his mixtape. Time Machine with Chamillionaire was D.O.P.E. Hopefully he can keep up the same consistency with the album and the label doesn't interfere too much with the final product.

Oh yea as well as the joint with Alchemist, Curren$y is putting out a new album as well called "The Stoned Immaculate"

There was a bit noise about a new album from Rakim as well a few months back. He's looking to work with Preemo and Pete Rock on it. No idea about the time frame for it. Hopefully we might hear something soon. Can't wait to hear what he does with Preemo. "When I B On Tha Mic" was sensational.

Oh and also new The Coup! :pac:

If that Killer Mike/EL-P collab comes out it'll be incredible but it seems unlikely,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looking forward to ... DMX

YESS! Looks like he took over his facebook page on new years eve, posted a photo of himself on the laptop. Said the dog is coming in 2012. Really looking forward to that!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    YESS! Looks like he took over his facebook page on new years eve, posted a photo of himself on the laptop. Said the dog is coming in 2012. Really looking forward to that!

But it is a very big if if he will actually make something good and be out of jail long enough to do it, hopefully he can.

Hopefully he gets really good beats/production.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Some good suggestions so far lads:)

Anyways for me, Blackstar is the absolute standout for this year, if it is anywhere near as good as the last album then I will be..:D:D:D

Dessa will release an album early this year and their will be other Doomtree stuff. Their was talk of an Astronautalis/ POS album as well.

Kanye should have something as well.

GZA is meant to be dropping Liquid Swords 2: The Return of the Shadowboxer this year too, RZA is producing the whole thing so i have high hopes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

Of the albums not mentioned so far, I'm looking forward to the new 1982 (Statik Selektah and Termanology) album "2012", Macklemore's LP and Bumpy Knuckles and DJ Premier's album "The Kolexion".

• Advertisement

GZA is meant to be dropping Liquid Swords 2: The Return of the Shadowboxer this year too, RZA is producing the whole thing so i have high hopes for it.

So that's a GZA album, one from Ghostface, a new Wu album, a potential album from Meth and a mixtape from Raekwon.

Just read there also about another album featuring Ghost, Raekwon and Cappadonna that's due for release in February.

Then we got U-God's new album "The Key Note Speaker", and there's another album coming from Masta Killa as well.

That's every single member of the Wu crew with a potential album in the works for this year. Gonna be a good one.

And RZA wanted to release some unreleased ODB tunes that he has but he's not aloud for legal reasons, I would absolutely love to hear some of his unreleased stuff.

More RZA production and possible premo/rakim (well screw Detox for a while then)

Also Blackstar (with the artist formerly known as Mos def) I completely forgot they were back.

Definitely will be a great year for Hip-Hop.

And RZA wanted to release some unreleased ODB tunes that he has but he's not aloud for legal reasons, I would absolutely love to hear some of his unreleased stuff.

That sucks alright. The same thing happened with Pimp C's unreleased verses. Chamillionaire wanted to make a single with one of them and then all the proceeds would go to Pimp's family. Of course the label execs stepped in and put a stop to that, and Cham is banned entirely from releasing the song. It'd sell a ton but it'll never happen now.

They really are the worst thing to happen to music imo. It'd be 100 times better if artists just walked away from the labels and went independent. The quality of the music would go up ten-fold I reckon, and the artists themselves would get a better cut instead of being 5th or 6th in the feeding chain when it comes to who profits from an album.

Oh and I forgot all about the eagerly awaited debut from the saviour of hip hop Jay Electronica :pac:.

He put a message up on Twitter 6 months ago saying that his album was complete. Of course nothing has happened at all since then. Hard to know what to think of when it comes to him. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Never heard of him, but after googling him the "Act I: Eternal Sunshine (the pledge)" beat is amazing too bad he spits over it and pretty much ruins it.

The shift away from the labels seems to be happening more and more.

Never heard of him, but after googling him the "Act I: Eternal Sunshine (the pledge)" beat is amazing too bad he spits over it and pretty much ruins it.

Have a listen to this song and then see if you've changed your mind. Class beat and then he steps up and destroys every bar of it.

This was the perfect time to drop his album. The hype he had after it was off the richter scale. For some reason he decided to become a hermit almost for 2 years after and he'll do well to get back that hype. There were people calling it one of the best songs of all time pretty much.

Literally never heard of him.

Again very nice production, and the rapping is a little better - would be much better if he got other rappers on the beats but he may end up being a Kanye and growing on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Man on the Moon III and WZRD to look forward to from Kid Cudi.

Advertisement