Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Further education in UK

• 18-04-2010 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

I am very interested in doing veterinary nursing. I have applied to a PLC college here but if i don't get it here, i am willing to go to england. My problem is that i don't think i can afford university fees. I have been on uk college websites but hardly any of them mention the prices and the costs. Are further education colleges in england cheaper than universities? Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much they can cost? Would it much the same as PLC colleges here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to NI/GB Colleges.

Yes, further ed college fees are usually cheaper than universities because the types of course they offer are different (tend to be more vocational or not as advanced as a university degree). Is there a specific college/course you're looking at? Many of the courses at further education colleges (NVQs in Veterinary Nursing and the like) are only part-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Ya interested in a couple of colleges already. The college of animal welfare has a couple of colleges in the uk and Barony college in scotland. They have a college clinic you get experience at and barony college has a wildlife centre which you get experience in also. Very interested in clinics at the college for some reason.

I don't know about other colleges and what their facilities are like.

From what i read also, i would already need to be working in a veterinary practice before i enrol on a course. That seems ok but i don't know where to start looking in england.

I suppose it will give me something to work on over the next few months - find work. That's plan B anyway, if i don't get the course i applied for here.

Do further education colleges have their own deadline to apply or would you have to apply through UCAS?

Advertisement