Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The serious thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I don't really think you can. It is sort of a natural thing. I don't think the clique presently in TCN is the kind that shuts anyone out, just one that maybe isn't so comfortable for some people. Everything changes though- folks drop in and drop out and things change.
    The problem is some of us can't go with the flow, or just takes us longer to accept the change.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The click perception perhaps is attributed by the in running jokes that occur cross threads. I agree with Fago about the chat thread. There's lots of places to chat.
    When Sarky redoes the charter I'm sure a lot of things will be made clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Tcn is pretty much like a joke....try and explain it and you lose the point of the whole thing..the way the Charter is set up and the manner in which it is moderated (statement of fact only Sarky, linking back to the charter).. it's a deliberate catch 22... If you want a cosy forum...go get a social group like TLGH which emerged out of tcn....it kept some of the tcn principles of randomness and adopted others....it was successful to a degree but without a firm charter it ultimately failed ....tcn has a charter...that doesnt encourage "warm welcomes" to new posters or touchy feely feedback threads....time and again posters try and change this aspect....and they fail.....until the charter changes the issue of making tcn more "welcoming" will remain....it's ultimately up to the mods here to change it.....( again I'm only being objective and factual ...no offence to mods here intended...but again, this is tcn...so no offense assumed either...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

The click perception perhaps is attributed by the in running jokes that occur cross threads. I agree with Fago about the chat thread. There's lots of places to chat.
    When Sarky redoes the charter I'm sure a lot of things will be made clearer.

I'm very bored. Might write one to piss off Sarky :pac:

Since I'm in a ranty mood, one thing that annoys me is how some of the posters here treat new people. Basically telling them to **** off. What good is that going to do? That's just gonna drive people away. Especially in the chat thread.

They sometimes do that. I didn't think they were serious about it though.

• Advertisement

Fago! wrote: »
    Since I'm in a ranty mood, one thing that annoys me is how some of the posters here treat new people. Basically telling them to **** off. What good is that going to do? That's just gonna drive people away. Especially in the chat thread.

That's actively encouraged in the charter...go read it...

@Deki - they were well serious. and even if they weren't serious, they're scaring people away.
    Cicero wrote: »
    Tcn is pretty much like a joke....try and explain it and you lose the point of the whole thing..the way the Charter is set up and the manner in which it is moderated (statement of fact only Sarky, linking back to the charter).. it's a deliberate catch 22... If you want a cosy forum...go get a social group like TLGH which emerged out of tcn....it kept some of the tcn principles of randomness and adopted others....it was successful to a degree but without a firm charter it ultimately failed ....tcn has a charter...that doesnt encourage "warm welcomes" to new posters or touchy feely feedback threads....time and again posters try and change this aspect....and they fail.....until the charter changes the issue of making tcn more "welcoming" will remain....it's ultimately up to the mods here to change it.....( again I'm only being objective and factual ...no offence to mods here intended...but again, this is tcn...so no offense assumed either...)

Well said Cic.

But:
    ....tcn has a charter...that doesnt encourage "warm welcomes" to new posters

It doesn't encourage people being dicks to new posters either. TCN is madness inside ur screenz and crazy and all that, which we all know and love. But where I draw the line is when madness becomes anger, yelling and bitchiness.

That's actively encouraged in the charter...go read it...

really? well either way, it shouldn't. Not to new people.

really? well either way, it shouldn't. Not to new people.

Yes...it does...

"No personal abuse, unless it's REALLY FUNNY".

...define funny and you're into subjectivity .."personal abuse" is practiced regularly by both posters and mods of tcn..but then again, that's my opinion...so wtf is personal abuse as defined by tcn..but then again...wtf is "really funny" ?...like I said, deconstruct tcn and you probably don't belong here....and on that note......

Yes...it does...

"No personal abuse, unless it's REALLY FUNNY".

...define funny and you're into subjectivity .."personal abuse" is practiced regularly by both posters and mods of tcn..but then again, that's my opinion...so wtf is personal abuse as defined by tcn..but then again...wtf is "really funny" ?...like I said, deconstruct tcn and you probably don't belong here....and on that note......

I always thought that referred to calling someone a cow or a slut or a bitch. There was a situation a while ago where some people were going mad at a new poster for some reason. They took it a bit too far and there was a bit of a kafuffel about it and as a result they've never been seen again.

But as ye said Cic, it's a catch22 thing. Try define the charter and it kinda ruins the joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

what the hell you boys going on about?

i just wandered in here...

you some sort of a clique or summit?!?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No. This is The Cuckoo's Nest. There's an explanation nearer the start of this thread, if you want to know what this place is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Sarky wrote: »
    No. This is The Cuckoo's Nest. There's an explanation nearer the start of this thread, if you want to know what this place is about.
    Can you tell the AH moderators that?

Not sure why that "things that annoy you" thread has been moved in here:confused:

There are two things ruining teh silleh: (1) too much chat and (2) rolled up balls of paper from AH that miss "trash" and somehow end up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

TCN is madness inside ur screenz and crazy and all that, which we all know and love.
    This is the reason that a lot of my early posting on Boards was on tCN. Loved the silleh.
    But where I draw the line is when madness becomes anger, yelling and bitchiness.
    This is why I, and I'm sure plenty others have stopped posting here. It's not just new people that get it directed at them.
    When I felt myself being pissed off years ago in here, I posted in the ban thread, as I knew I needed a time out.
    When Sarky got the job modding here, I came back, as I knew he'd be the perfect one to restore the silleh. Not sure what's happened, but he seems to have either lost the desire to mod the place, or is just too busy IRL now, but the Iron Fist seems to have become marshmallow, and the ones that are responsible for the bitchiness, anger and outright hatefulness are let away with it time and again. I just can't understand why!

I'm working on it.

The new charter is seriously awesome! :D:D:):):D:D

Well done on the charter Sarky!
    The new charter is seriously awesome! :D:D:):):D:D

You goddayum right son! it's a gem.

Since thanking of posts is impossible from this vantage point, I shall just emit my gladness like nuclear radiation.

But please oh please implement that charter. Do it with the grit and temerity of a modern day Thatcher. If it were so, the Cuckoos nest would be truly a cuckoo place to post.

later10 wrote: »
    Do it with the grit and temerity of a modern day Thatcher. If it were so, the Cuckoos nest would be truly a cuckoo place to post.

Say now, that's dangerous thinking there. You best stick to your work!

191598.jpg

But yeah a Thatcher type nest would be great.

Fair enough. Tougher moderation it is.

• Advertisement

I am at once aroused and afraid, Mrs Thatcher.
    Say now, that's dangerous thinking there. You best stick to your work!

191598.jpg

But yeah a Thatcher type nest would be great.

How did you find my linkedin page:eek:

Folks, this is the ONE thread in TCN where silly is not allowed.

Thatcher is an absolutely poisonous bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Sorry.

Just a bit of paraphasing from LIVE AND LET DIE.

:)

"Secret agent? On who's side???"!!!

Humour. It frackin' works. :)

Not in this thread, I'm afraid. I really don't ask much of anyone who posts in TCN, but this thread is for serious discussion only, and as such humour doesn't have a place in it. By all means feel free to go nuts on any thread but this one.

This one thread is only for the kind of thing I mentioned in post #1.

Maybe an introduce yourself to the asylum would be a good idea for the newbies?!

I've had enough time to give it some thought. Let me see a show of hands for people still in favour of applying this suggestion in some manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I've had enough time to give it some thought. Let me see a show of hands for people still in favour of applying this suggestion in some manner.

+1

Sure why not +1. Can't wait for this to be abused by me, teddy and Sarky.

Where are these newbies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

We are afraid to come in Deki!

Its a good idea in other forums anyway. A lot of forums have regular posters and an intro thread lets new people know they are welcome and that the posters are friendly.

You could put some sort of initiation test or something fun in it too.

Advertisement