Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minecraft FPS Issue

• 13-07-2015 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I have a GTX 970m

While im running Counterstrike Global Offensive im getting a steady 200 fps max settings.

I play minecraft im lucky to get 50 fps and it is really inconsistent, i have tryed all the settings on and off i had a texture pack on and i had to take it off it was a really good quality one or anything like that just to add some more textures for mods i have 100+ mods installed but i have 4GB ram allocated to the game and yet it just doesn't work for me.

any ideas on the fps issue ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

LukeyKid wrote: »
    I have a GTX 970m

While im running Counterstrike Global Offensive im getting a steady 200 fps max settings.

I play minecraft im lucky to get 50 fps and it is really inconsistent, i have tryed all the settings on and off i had a texture pack on and i had to take it off it was a really good quality one or anything like that just to add some more textures for mods i have 100+ mods installed but i have 4GB ram allocated to the game and yet it just doesn't work for me.

any ideas on the fps issue ?

Have you tried Optifine? Which version of the game are you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Have you tried Optifine? Which version of the game are you running?

no i haven't because why would i need it i have a 970 its should run mincraft easily :P and im playing 1.6.4 because of forge mods.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

no i haven't because why would i need it i have a 970 its should run mincraft easily :P and im playing 1.6.4 because of forge mods.

It's because Minecraft is horribly optimized and being written on java causes problems regardless of how good your hardware is. I'd try adding optifine.

It's because Minecraft is horribly optimized and being written on java causes problems regardless of how good your hardware is. I'd try adding optifine.

Okay thank you ill try but when i try adding it before it gave me a new launcher option and i cant use that is there a mod version for 1.6.4 ?

Okay thank you ill try but when i try adding it before it gave me a new launcher option and i cant use that is there a mod version for 1.6.4 ?

Yeah it is a bit different when you're adding to an already modded version, you'll need to do some google-fu

• Advertisement

Yeah it is a bit different when you're adding to an already modded version, you'll need to do some google-fu

could you link if you have any good tutorials off the top of your head ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Are you using a launcher? FTB or Tekkit etc?

A 970M doesnt mean your going to get massive framerates in minecraft. Even a desktop 970 cant guarantee that in minecraft.

The game doesnt respond to only the gpu in use,its about the whole system.CPU clock speeds/architecture,RAM amount and speed,GPU,resolution etc Also mods,what fps do you get in vanilla?

While forge do a great job of making tons of mods compatible its never going to be perfect. All sorts of things come in to play when you have 100+ mods.

I use the ATLauncher for the resonant rise pack currently and a 64bit texture pack,i have a decent system but the game still has the odd hiccup and frame drops,things like world gen can really hit the framerate especially with mods and all the extra things world gen has to do because of mods. Id say i average about 50fps most of the time at 1440p,on an overclocked i5 and a 970.

And as darkglasses pointed out the game is built in java,which is always going to have its limitations.

Optifine should help quite a bit if you install it correctly. Also 64bit java is a must these days when running mods. Do these two and id say you will be happier with the performance.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Are you using a launcher? FTB or Tekkit etc?

A 970M doesnt mean your going to get massive framerates in minecraft. Even a desktop 970 cant guarantee that in minecraft.

The game doesnt respond to only the gpu in use,its about the whole system.CPU clock speeds/architecture,RAM amount and speed,GPU,resolution etc Also mods,what fps do you get in vanilla?

While forge do a great job of making tons of mods compatible its never going to be perfect. All sorts of things come in to play when you have 100+ mods.

I use the ATLauncher for the resonant rise pack currently and a 64bit texture pack,i have a decent system but the game still has the odd hiccup and frame drops,things like world gen can really hit the framerate especially with mods and all the extra things world gen has to do because of mods. Id say i average about 50fps most of the time at 1440p,on an overclocked i5 and a 970.

And as darkglasses pointed out the game is built in java,which is always going to have its limitations.

Optifine should help quite a bit if you install it correctly. Also 64bit java is a must these days when running mods. Do these two and id say you will be happier with the performance.

Oh okay thanks for the help but like i no game need more then just a good gpu to run but i have a desktop that is 3 years old and is a little out dated now and i was getting 300 fps on that when playing MC. (that was vanilla though)

and the computer i have now is a custom built laptop.

i7 4710
    12GB ram
    GTX 970

so there is plenty of power where ever it needs it.

and i have both 32bit and 64bit java installed.

I use the technic launcher and i used the forge server on its own not the technic server.

Also if you could would link on the right version of optifine, i downloaded mod and i couldn't get it to work so i think i used the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Oh okay thanks for the help but like i no game need more then just a good gpu to run but i have a desktop that is 3 years old and is a little out dated now and i was getting 300 fps on that when playing MC. (that was vanilla though)

and the computer i have now is a custom built laptop.

i7 4710
    12GB ram
    GTX 970

so there is plenty of power where ever it needs it.

and i have both 32bit and 64bit java installed.

I use the technic launcher and i used the forge server on its own not the technic server.

Also if you could would link on the right version of optifine, i downloaded mod and i couldn't get it to work so i think i used the wrong one.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1272953-1-8-7-optifine-hd-d6-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af

Heres a video on how to install it,its on the FTB launcher but should be similar for technic

https://youtu.be/qw6GV4Hv8t4

EoinHef wrote: »

Thank you very much man :)

• Advertisement

Not using the server this it would more then likely crash a lot, but i was able to successfully add optifine 1.7.10, I upgraded the server the 1.6.4 was just a bit outdated and not a lot of support for mods. I am now getting between 30 -70 fps never any bad lags no more but i did upgrade the mod pack to 216 mods :D

So i think its fairly good fps for the amount i'm running right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Barry Kelliher

Recently my dad bought a new pc, it has an i7-4770s processor, 16gb ram and an nvidia 740m gpu. The only game i have tried is minecraft but it barely runs above 20fps on the lowest settings possible can anybody give me any idea as to what may be wrong?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Minecraft is a horribly badly optimised piece of software written in a language that should never be used for games :)

Grab Optifine and instal it, you should hopefully see some improvements.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Also you may need to reduce graphics quality a bit, that system has decent memory and CPU but the graphics aren't really meant for gaming :o

Advertisement