Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two rows in two days about the name...

Options
  • 17-12-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭

...of the city...again! :rolleyes:

Can't our political representatives get their fingers out and secure some jobs for the north west, sort out more places for the university, sort out the railway (line and station). Does my head in!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

I'd be curious to hear the Deputy Mayors viewpoint on officially changing both city and council name to Foyle. He's quite outspoken that usage of Derry is an attack on unionism, yet seems oblivious to the London prefix not being acceptable by others.

Not sure if you've seen this facebook post but it's quite a horrowing read:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4rEwRhCMAA_zG3.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4rEwRhCUAArUxL.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4rEwRkCYAAOH1x.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4rEwRjCQAATxpL.jpg

Councillors can't really do much about the University or Railway, it's the MLA's that are failing to serve the city effectively. Say whatever you want about the SDLP and their failings, but how much has the city benefited from having a Derryman as deputy First Minister? or by any Shinners? sadly though, the same people will get voted for again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well the Deputy First Minister is a Derry man, and one of the leaders of the most voted for party in the North, perhaps we should be asking what exactly is he and his party doing for his home town?

I am fed up seeing him smiling in Belfast as he opens another place with loads of good jobs, time Derry got some good news, not crumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 derry dirtfisher

true what they say about derry whingers. theyre everywhere

fwiw the dep first ministers family are among the biggest legal high dealers in the north west, owining the gweedore, peadars, west end in buncrana and others. that family dynasty dont give a **** about derry. never did, never will. money is their god

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The city should be Londonderry, the name under which it received its charter as a city, the county should be Derry... could that make everyone equally happy-unhappy?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

no, the planters should be shipped out and the walls sent back to the cabal from the city of london who still run things to this day.
    no signs of imperialism should remain

• Advertisement

what have the stoops given derry apart from humes low wage economy and his drunk driving, willie mccorristons paedophilia, mark durkans inability to lead, pat ramsays 5 chins and jimmy carrs dick waving on the internet.
    theyre a dying party with nothing to offer anyone except their own brown envelope posse. theyre just like the ff and fg chancers in the free state

guttenberg wrote: »
    Say whatever you want about the SDLP and their failings, but how much has the city benefited from having a Derryman as deputy First Minister? or by any Shinners? sadly though, the same people will get voted for again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭O'Neill

what have the stoops given derry apart from humes low wage economy and his drunk driving, willie mccorristons paedophilia, mark durkans inability to lead, pat ramsays 5 chins and jimmy carrs dick waving on the internet.
    theyre a dying party with nothing to offer anyone except their own brown envelope posse. theyre just like the ff and fg chancers in the free state

Same could be said about dissidents as well, bunch of lying corrupt scumbags.

I believe that politicians are in it for themselves first, their voters second.

O'Neill wrote: »
    why bring dissidents into it. bit of a dissie obsession, have u?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

O'Neill wrote: »

Yep, the LVF are scumbags alright.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

A city on the extreme periphery of the EU and UK. What has it got that would attract any manufacturing business to set up there? Nothing. Same as the west coast counties of Donegal Mayo etc. Any attempts at improving infrastructure in these counties is challenged by the NIMBIES. They can get used to speaking with their grandchildren on Skype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Ttheyre just like the ff and fg chancers in the free state

You mean the Republic of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭Penfailed

...and the name of the city has come to the fore again I see :rolleyes:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Not sure why they're asking the Minister for the Environment to clarify the situation. It's basically up to the Queen and by that virtue, the Prime Minister if the name gets officially changed or not. They should just change it and get it over and done with anyway. Otherwise it'll keep coming up every few years.

The general love-in between Britain and Ireland over recent years make me think that the UK powers that be might actually let the official name change happen in the near future.

Of course it'll get Gregory and his ilk up in arms, but as others have said, few people actually called it Londonderry on a daily basis. Any Protestant people I know certainly don't.

If it was any normal place, a poll of resident ratepayers would be allowed to decide a city's name, not sure if it will apply here though, but as I have already said (as a Derryman) I could really care that much, I have more important things to worry about than whether its Londonderry or Derry.

i had to go through goverment channels to get a member of the morelli ice cream chain, who also owns a shop for fat women in garvagh, and who works for dvlni in coleraine to get derry rarther than londonderry on my license. the enviroment minster, stoop, sdlp, finally got me a license with derry on it , much to the ire of the sectarian goons in dvlni coleraine

NIMAN wrote: »
    The general love-in between Britain and Ireland over recent years make me think that the UK powers that be might actually let the official name change happen in the near future.

Of course it'll get Gregory and his ilk up in arms, but as others have said, few people actually called it Londonderry on a daily basis. Any Protestant people I know certainly don't.

If it was any normal place, a poll of resident ratepayers would be allowed to decide a city's name, not sure if it will apply here though, but as I have already said (as a Derryman) I could really care that much, I have more important things to worry about than whether its Londonderry or Derry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

i had to go through goverment channels to get a member of the morelli ice cream chain, who also owns a shop for fat women in garvagh, and who works for dvlni in coleraine to get derry rarther than londonderry on my license. the enviroment minster, stoop, sdlp, finally got me a license with derry on it , much to the ire of the sectarian goons in dvlni coleraine

Was this recently? Standard procedure now is for your license to have Derry on it if you write that on the application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Why is the bits I've highlighted in bold of any relevance? Is it just for anecdotal purposes or your own titilation? I'm sure the Morellis of icecream clan have zero input of say into how your license looks.

Advertisement