Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need some honest feedback

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

No time to listen now but bring it down to Sample Ed1t on Wednesday to Shebeen.
    Hear it on a big system in front of a crowd and get real time feed back. Plus a free pint if you're one of the 1st 3 with a CDR. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Most of the production is very good. Veers into cheese in a few of the later tracks in the set list (don't like the heavy guitar stuff) but well made for the most part.

Rapping is decent. Flow is just a bit choppy. You sound like an American who's been living here for a few years (like Kounter Kulture or Exile Eye). If you're not American then I'd recommend using your own way of speaking and cadence cos jacking someone elses will hinder any sort of real progress.

Stop has no time to listen but time to plug his club night everywhere. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

really liking this......you dont happen to listen to a bit of SixToo by any chance?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Stop has no time to listen but time to plug his club night everywhere. :D

I'm in the library. ;)

Left my headphones at home fml.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Some very good production there. Bit too down tempo for me though. More boom bap and witty wordplay would make it more accessible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

This is really nice. Some beautiful production. I think the lyrics/vocals are good too although if your not a yank then I woudnt try and alter your natural accent, there's no point and some people might dismiss it purely on that basis.

Great stuff though, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 GoSlowJoe

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    really liking this......you dont happen to listen to a bit of SixToo by any chance?

Afraid not.. have to admit never hearing of him/her/them before :cool:

Thank you for the feedback, didn't realize I was sounding American which will confirm that I'm not. Will look into it but I don't have a very heavy Irish accent either so...

Anyone know of a label who would give a proper listen with a view to taking on a producer/artist? I've talked to a couple of small labels already but want to talk to as many as I can..

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

GoSlowJoe wrote: »
    Afraid not.. have to admit never hearing of him/her/them before :cool:

Thank you for the feedback, didn't realize I was sounding American which will confirm that I'm not. Will look into it but I don't have a very heavy Irish accent either so...

Anyone know of a label who would give a proper listen with a view to taking on a producer/artist? I've talked to a couple of small labels already but want to talk to as many as I can..

Thanks again!

You should check Sixtoo out, excellent producer and good lyricist. He started out in a band with Buck 65 called the 1200 Hobo's. Here's a taste

I wouldnt worry about your accent, if it's your natural accent the roll with it. Years ago when i done some recording i sounded like a old Dublin cleaning lady that smokes 80 Rothmans a day :)

Labels......that's tricky. It's a matter of getting your name out there and some live shows under your belt. Maybe some of the Irish rappers that post here could help out.

I wouldnt worry about your accent, if it's your natural accent the roll with it. Years ago when i done some recording i sounded like a old Dublin cleaning lady that smokes 80 Rothmans a day :)

Labels......that's tricky. It's a matter of getting your name out there and some live shows under your belt. Maybe some of the Irish rappers that post here could help out.

Lol... You never know, there's bound to be someone who would dig that kind of sound :)

Labels are the tricky part and if any rappers out there are interested in either collaborations or in getting tracks produced/mixed or mastered... pm me!

Thanks for the feedback :)

Ah right, defo need to ditch the accent. Listen to some Irish hip hop you'll probably pick up some pointers. No need to sound like your from the flats or anything, can have a neutral dublin accent like.

I'd forget about getting signed. There's only ever been one Irish rap group that I know of signed to a label (that isn't some boutique self published label) who were Scary Eire and even then their album got shelved and didn't come out for 13 years. Nowadays you don't want or need a label unless you're a huge artist.

• Advertisement

I'd forget about getting signed. There's only ever been one Irish rap group that I know of signed to a label (that isn't some boutique self published label) who were Scary Eire and even then their album got shelved and didn't come out for 13 years. Nowadays you don't want or need a label unless you're a huge artist.

What about Messiah J or the Rubberbandits? I'm completley ignorant here so I don't even know if either one is signed to a major label or small independent.

I'm well aware of the current situ and trying to sell music as an independent, I'm just trying to move industries and produce/perform for a living i.e. get a wage to do this full time. Offers?! :D

GoSlowJoe wrote: »
    What about Messiah J or the Rubberbandits? I'm completley ignorant here so I don't even know if either one is signed to a major label or small independent.

I'm well aware of the current situ and trying to sell music as an independent, I'm just trying to move industries and produce/perform for a living i.e. get a wage to do this full time. Offers?! :D

MJEX have thier own label that they release on, not sure about Rubberbandits.

Have you performed at all yet?

MJEX have thier own label that they release on, not sure about Rubberbandits.

Have you performed at all yet?

Not as a rapper, no. I Dj and drum too so I've been doing that for a long time but taking centre stage with only a mic to hide behind will be very new. I'm only now beginning to discover/explore all of this, any advice?

What I mean is there isn't any label that isn't just used as self publishing. It's not like MJEX are running about scouting artists to sign. There are probably 50 of those around the place but they're not signing people.

The Rubberbandits could potentially get signed. But they're just self publishing really. That was one of the main reasons they got so hammered in the XMas number 1 race. They didn't have the distrubution a proper label like Syco would have.

Scary Eire got signed to Island Records.

As I said it's not really important now anyway. You can just publish your stuff on the internet. Selling CD's still seems to be somewhat important for singles but it'll be all download in another few years.

Scary Eire got signed to Island Records.
    ....but blew thier advance/budget on partying before they recorded :D

If you do get signed you dont want to do that.

But being signed is not the most important thing, getting your name ad music out and about is what's important. Maybe take iamstop up on his offer, wouldnt hurt.

But being signed is not the most important thing, getting your name ad music out and about is what's important. Maybe take iamstop up on his offer, wouldnt hurt.

I will do, certainly worth a go. Thank you all for your feedback and comments, it's been very helpful and insightful! :)

....but blew thier advance/budget on partying before they recorded :D

If you do get signed you dont want to do that.

They spent all their money on partying, went back, got more money blew that, then recorded it in a day or two I think. Or at least that's what they said in interviews. I talked to RiRa last year for a few minutes about it and he said there's a bit more to the story as to why it fell apart, grinned and said nothing more.

Advertisement