Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIY car valet?

Options
  • 13-10-2012 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

So I'm after getting a new motor; well its a '00 1 Litre petrol VW Polo(I'm a poor student!)

While she's is in good mechanical nick, the interior is a bit on the smelly and dirty side; the previous owner was a bit of a farmer/builder!

Anyway I'm hoping a bit of elbow grease and the right cleaning products will restore the interior.

Can any car valet DIYourselfers give me a few tips on cleaning my new motor up?
    What clearing methods and products work best?
    Should I use a dry shake and vac on the seats and carpet; or is a spray-on wet shampoo in a can a better option.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

display_image.php?size=product&img=308.015.jpg

Good for carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Step 1: Hoover the bejaysus out of the carpets and upholstery.

Step 2: Apply something like this;

vanish-for-carpets-and-upholstery-powerfoam.png

Step 3: Spray your dash and other hard plastic surfaces with this;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIjVQX7c2-sul0vlzAKM_nNhcIGD0ZIkOYvOjkeIVdAIR0I5sp

and wipe off.

And finally, if the polo is still a bit smelly...

Step 4:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTr4iVwlPg_YaPjp5JjjnBgJTzQRGKKP0luHEtLCOemgc6t2xm9UA
    on your carpets and seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For manky seats, nothing beats removing the seat fabric from the frame and putting it in the washing machine.

Seriously.

It's a bit time consuming but really worth it. I've done loads like this and never had issues like shrinking or colour problems.

It's like if you had a dirty pair of trousers, would you spray vanish on them or wash them :)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    For manky seats, nothing beats removing the seat fabric from the frame and putting it in the washing machine.

Seriously.

It's a bit time consuming but really worth it. I've done loads like this and never had issues like shrinking or colour problems.

It's like if you had a dirty pair of trousers, would you spray vanish on them or wash them :)

If you had a dirty carpet,would you spray vanish on it or wash it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

What I would do is go to your local hire and hire a carpet cleaner/shampooer (it will cost about €50) make sure you get the upholstery attachment these are amazing at cleaning carpets and car seats.

this is the thing

small.206carpet%20cleaner.jpg

• Advertisement

So I'm after getting a new motor; well its a '00 1 Litre petrol VW Polo(I'm a poor student!)

While she's is in good mechanical nick, the interior is a bit on the smelly and dirty side; the previous owner was a bit of a farmer/builder!

Anyway I'm hoping a bit of elbow grease and the right cleaning products will restore the interior.

Can any car valet DIYourselfers give me a few tips on cleaning my new motor up?
    What clearing methods and products work best?
    Should I use a dry shake and vac on the seats and carpet; or is a spray-on wet shampoo in a can a better option.

Any pointers much appreciated.

I got the impression the OP was trying to do this on a tight budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I got the impression the OP was trying to do this on a tight budget.

Well that would defiantly get you good results even if the car looks like a field inside.
    You could also split the cost with a friend who wanted to do their car/house or whatever. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Look out for a deal.
    I got a full valet last week for 40€. Took 2 men 2 hours to do it.

If you had a dirty carpet,would you spray vanish on it or wash it?

I'd put it in my giant washing machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Many thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I really like colm_mcm idea about taking the seat covers off; although I'd be pretty worried that I wouldn't be able to get them back on in a satisfactory way.

How are the seat covers even attached to the frame? Is stitching or stapling involved?
    I suppose the ideal approach would be to remove the entire seat unit so it could be left upon a suitable work surface to make the job of removing the covers a little easier.
    It sounds like a great idea; if a little risky. You aren't a upholster by trade are ya!

• Advertisement

Cover is usually held on with metal wire hoops. Just use cable ties when putting back on.

It's easy to put the covers back on. It's kinda like taking off a jumper in reverse. I have pics somewhere

I bought a trade car very cheap a few years back, there was an unknown problem with it where anyone that drove it had slight breathing difficulty.
    Car was 12 years old and only has 35k on it. Otherwise mint. All mechanical diagnosis couldn't pinpoint what it was, exhaust, fuel tank, ventilation system was suspected.

Turns out it was owned by a really old guy from new and he had never hoovered the car, seats were dusty, a lot of dead skin cells must have been in there, fair smell of old person in the cabin too.

Anyway, washing machine to the rescue, blew out the foam underneath with an air line and the car was like brand new inside. Made a nice few quid out of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gravity10

I would vehemently disagree with putting car seats in a washing machine!!!

There are all sorts of issues that could arise from that - burst seams, shrinkage, migrant dyes. Seats are generally made from Polypropylene, Polyester or various other hard wearing fabrics and are very very resilient, but jesus, theres a limit!

The best way to clean carpets or seats is hot water extraction - I have one of these: http://www.worldofclean.co.uk/jaguar.html and it will out perform a washing machine any day.

To answer the ops question, 80% of the soil is dry. You can test this by banging your hand repeatedly on the fabric. It doesn't matter how you get this dry soil out of the area to be cleaned, but get it out, and the rest of the job will be very easy.

I'd get your hands on the best hoover you can find, beat the soil out of the fabric and vac it up. Then lightly mist this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-Interior-Cleaner-Spray-Bottle/dp/B002OSC6UI/ref=pd_sxp_f_r onto the areas to be cleaned.

Have about 5 micro fibre cloths, a bucket of water, and patience. Keep rinsing the micro fibres clean of dirty water as you use them to pull the dirt out of the carpet. It will take hours, but it will come clean.

A generic brand of carpet cleaner will work too, but not as well. Fairy liquid will even work, just dont use much, and get it all out. These last two options won't be great at breaking down protein based soil either, so use a tamping brush or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

[QUOTE=colm_mcm;
    Turns out it was owned by a really old guy.............a llot of dead skin cells must have been in there, fair smell of old person in the cabin [/QUOTE]

Probably best to remove the body in such instances.:D

Advertisement