Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shootings In France

• 19-03-2012 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭

Three children and a teacher have been killed by a gunman on a scooter who opened fire on a Jewish school in the French city of Toulouse.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17426313

According to the Guardian, a father and two his sons are amongst the victims.

This seems to be the same individual who shot 3 soldiers in two other incidents earlier.

If we could avoid sectarianism/racism etc please........

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Just read about it in the Journal.ie: http://www.thejournal.ie/several-people-shot-dead-at-french-school-389542-Mar2012/

One teacher and three kids. Very sad.
    A GUNMAN HAS opened fire in front of a Jewish school in a southwest French city killing several people, the Toulouse prosecutor said today.
    Sky News reports that four people have been killed: a teacher and three children. A fourth is in a serious condition in hospital.
    The shooter drove away on a scooter, a national police official in Paris told the Associated Press.
    Police cordoned off the private Ozar Hathora school in the northeast of Toulouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Odd if this was America this thread would be 10 pages long by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Jaafa wrote: »
    Odd if this was America this thread would be 10 pages long by now.

Probably would be if France continuously claimed to be the best country in the world. Gods country. The most morally righteous country in the world. All while invading and starting wars across the world at the same time...

People don't just randomly criticize America for the craic like...

Yes the US is always gonna be judged more harshly than other nations due to everything I mentioned at the start of my post.

Nodin wrote: »

This seems to be the same individual who shot 3 soldiers in two other incidents earlier.

Pretty messed up all right. Can't be random can it? There's talk of Muslim extremists but not too sure if this is the case yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Clearly he had nothing toulouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

****ing hell.. what kind of pond scum can shoot children at point blank. Not that shooting adults is any better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Sisko wrote: »
    Probably would be if France continuously claimed to be the best country in the world. Gods country. The most morally righteous country in the world. All while invading and starting wars across the world at the same time...

People don't just randomly criticize America for the craic like...

Yes the US is always gonna be judged more harshly than other nations due to everything I mentioned at the start of my post.

I understand that, but it's excessive IMO. Like I said if this was in America this thread would be at least 5-10 pages by now. Yet because its France in almost 3 hours we have only 1 post on topic.

Of course shootings in America will always get more attention, but its disproportional I think.

EDIT: It was 1 while I was writing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Awful crime. Hopefully whoever is responsible will be caught soon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sisko wrote: »
    Pretty messed up all right. Can't be random can it? There's talk of Muslim extremists but not too sure if this is the case yet.

Given the similarities, an assumption that the same individual or group is responsible for all three events is not a particularly unreasonable one, though of course not a certainty.

The combination of going against both Jews and the military is an odd one, though. The only connection I can think of off the top of my head is that the French have a hefty presence in Lebanon by the Israeli border. Is it possible they pissed off some pro-Hezbullah types during their mission there?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I understand that, but it's excessive IMO. Like I said if this was in America this thread would be at least 5-10 pages by now. Yet because its France in almost 3 hours we have only 1 post on topic.

Of course shootings in America will always get more attention, but its disproportional I think.

There might have been a few more pages had they known who was responsible and for what reason the shootings were carried out. There's not enough to go on yet, so people don't know who to slag off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

The main reason it would be disproportionate is that there would be loads of people saying things like "It's America's own fault" and others responding "No, it's not" and so it descends into a political argument. The length of a thread on boards.ie is not a reflection of how much sympathy people have, but simply how much people have to talk about with regard to the incident. When it comes to America people have very strong opinions one way or another.

Awful incident by the way, hopefully no more fatalities and that the perpetrators are caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Might be some type of revenge for the killing of the kids in Afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Tragic.

It looks like the motive might not be specifically anti-Jewish, as the 3 military victims were of North African and Caribbean origin.

He has carried out these attacks in the middle of the day, and at point blank range, using the same gun and scooter each time.

The gunman's first gun eventually jammed, but instead of legging it, he calmly takes a second gun out and continues the shooting.

Also, fck me... how has America been brought into this thread???

The anti-West crowd on here are obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

He killed a three year old. What an absolute scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Given the similarities, an assumption that the same individual or group is responsible for all three events is not a particularly unreasonable one, though of course not a certainty.

The combination of going against both Jews and the military is an odd one, though. The only connection I can think of off the top of my head is that the French have a hefty presence in Lebanon by the Israeli border. Is it possible they pissed off some pro-Hezbullah types during their mission there?
    brimal wrote: »
    Tragic.

It looks like the motive might not be specifically anti-Jewish, as the 3 military victims were of North African and Caribbean origin.

I'm wondering if the targets were connected somehow. As in they knew each other. Maybe these attacks where not as random as one might think. Maybe there is a lot more to it.

Also, fck me... how has America been brought into this thread???

The anti-West crowd on here are obsessed.

It shouldn't have been really and I regret replying on it tbh. It's not anti west to point out facts though. It's not about being anti or pro anything. Its just life, reality and truth.

i read elsewhere that the police confirmed the same .45 gun was used in the shooting of the Soldiers. I'll get a link when i find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

archer22 wrote: »
    Might be some type of revenge for the killing of the kids in Afghanistan.

Possibly. And not just in Afghanistan.

<SNIP>

FearDark wrote: »
    Clearly he had nothing toulouse.

Bad form.

RIP to the victims, hopefully they catch the perp before he claims anymore innocent victims.

:( warning on that link

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Possibly. And not just in Afghanistan.

<SNIP>

There is no need to post this here.

Pure opportunism to push your anti-Israel agenda on a thread involving Jews.

Jews does not automatically mean Israel.

Scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

This could be a far right group/individual along the lines of Brehivik in Norway.

Muslim soldiers and Jewish school kids would lead me to look internally in france for those involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Anyone that attacks children needs to be stopped quickly and given no trial just a bullet. There is no justification for attacks like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Ah here, this is 21st center Europe, I thought we were making head way towards a civilized society, when these people ar caught I will be very interested in the trial to hear the motives

RichieC wrote: »
    :( warning on that link

I believe that people need to know about all atrocities being committed against children - whether in Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine or France. Sadly, there seems to be too much concentration on atrocities committed by certain groups, whilst those committed by others are smoothed over or ignored. :rolleyes: The picture is shocking to look at, but so is the reality behind it.

I believe that people need to know about all atrocities being committed against children - whether in Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine or France. Sadly, there seems to be too much concentration on atrocities committed by certain groups, whilst those committed by others are smoothed over or ignored. :rolleyes: The picture is shocking to look at, but so is the reality behind it.

Well start a new thread then.

Using the death of Jewish children in France to highlight the crimes of Israel is nothing more than opportunism on your part and is a disgusting tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Do NOT post that link again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That's an absolutely awful attack on innocent kids! It's difficult to thinking anything worse.

It sounds a bit like that crazy guy in Norway who attacked the summer camp.

Hopefully he's caught very quickly. Toulouse is a really nice, relaxed city and I can't imagine how frightening this must be for parents there.

He needs to be caught and locked up asap before he does anything else!

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Do NOT post that link again

OK, I'll just recommend that people inform themselves about the many, many incidences of children being killed by military machines in various parts of the world.

May I also point out that I am invariably polite to other posters and do not resort to calling those with whose views I disagree "scum" and similar things. In fact, I thought it was against the forum rules to be personally abusive to other posters and will not resort to doing so even if you confirm to me that it is acceptable to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

May I also point out that I am invariably polite to other posters and do not resort to calling those with whose views I disagree "scum" and similar things. In fact, I thought it was against the forum rules to be personally abusive to other posters and will not resort to doing so even if you confirm to me that it is acceptable to you.

Yeah that big red card beside his post shows it wasnt acceptable.

• Advertisement

There is no need to post this here.

You are not a moderator. I'll accept their rulings, but you post your stuff and I'll decide for myself what to post. OK?
    Pure opportunism to push your anti-Israel agenda on a thread involving Jews.

That is your interpretation, to which you are entitled. But it does not entitle you to become abusive. I assume that it is legitimate to oppose the war crimes and other crimes of Israel.
    Scum.

Your resorting to personal abuse instead of countering my arguments reveals a lot about you. I am always polite to other posters and I suggest you try doing the same, because now you just come across as a rather loutish bully. And, of course, it is very easy to insult people like that from behind the apron of Internet anonymity.

I am perfectly entitled to point out that many hundreds of Palestinian children have been killed by the Israelis with their total disregard for collateral damage, and I pointed out this in response to another poster's remark about nine children recently being murdered in Afghanistan by one or several Americans. I was responding to another poster's speculation that the killing of children in Afghanistan might have been the motivation for the attacks in France. The killings in Afghanistan and Palestine are every bit as reprehensible as killing a Rabbi and his kids. Unlike you, however, I am not selective, but condemn all killing of innocents.:rolleyes:

Now apologise for calling me scum if you are man enough, or else spew all the vitriol you wish, because I couldn't care less.:)

Advertisement