Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eddie Rockets!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Thursday 26th January Food Diary
    Breakfast (08:30)
    Same porridge, 1/2 scoup protein powder, milled linseed, maunka honey, 5 or 6 half walnut segments
    Multi Vit + Lysine washed down with a Vit-C drink

Snack (11:00)
    Banana
    Peach
    Plum

Another snack (12:00)
    Fruit scone (without butter) + cup of milk
    I was getting fairly hungry and was determined to do some core work at lunch. I knew if i didn't have something id be going straight for food and end up skipping the core work so i went for a compromise

Lunch (14:00)
    Other half of the tin of beans, 2 slices of toast and this time a fillet of whiting

Snack (16:00)
    Banana
    Red apple

Pre-session Snack (19:00)
    Slice of toast with nutella
    Small slice of toast with peanut butter
    Was absolutely starving so had to get this into me, ive to fix a punctue mow and then 45mins of work on the bike

Post-session (Dinner) 21:30
    Lasagna with some flakes of almonds, sweetcorn and two wholemeal pitta breads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Bambaata wrote: »
    Thursday 26th January Food Diary
    Breakfast (08:30)
    Same porridge, 1/2 scoup protein powder, milled linseed, maunka honey, 5 or 6 half walnut segments
    Multi Vit + Lysine washed down with a Vit-C drink

Snack (11:00)
    Banana
    Peach
    Plum

Another snack (12:00)
    Fruit scone (without butter) + cup of milk
    I was getting fairly hungry and was determined to do some core work at lunch. I knew if i didn't have something id be going straight for food and end up skipping the core work so i went for a compromise

Lunch (14:00)
    Other half of the tin of beans, 2 slices of toast and this time a fillet of whiting

Snack (16:00)
    Banana
    Red apple

Pre-session Snack (19:00)
    Slice of toast with nutella
    Small slice of toast with peanut butter
    Was absolutely starving so had to get this into me, ive to fix a punctue mow and then 45mins of work on the bike

Your culinary discipline is shameful! Next report throw a little steak and potatoes, ice cream, beer and overindulgence in there. ;)

Ha. Im doing my best to be good at the moment. I went over 80kg there in the past few months and wasnt getting a handle on it. Last year for Austria 70.3 i was at about 76kg and 12% BF. Im on a mission this year to get to about 75kg and under 11% so im doing my best to be good.

There were a load of sweets in the office today and to keep me away i told one of the guys that for every sweet i took id give him €5! It worked a treat!! I was very very very tempted and had i not make that pact id have caved in and had the chocolate! I used this trick in the past to good effect too so im going to keep it up ;)

Fortunately the ok diet in the past 2 weeks seems to be helping. I just got my weighing scales back working this morning and weighed in at 76.9kg and 12.6% BF whereas i was 79.2kg and 13% Bf two weeks ago, might be part of the reason running seems to be going well the past week or two.

Well done, then! Me, I'd been face first into that chocolate without a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey Bambaata
    Throw the nutella between 2 oat cakes and add some mashed banana or strawberries... yum!

Fair play on the discipline with the diet. Whats with the protein powder in the porridge though? Plenty of protein in the milk, linseed and walnuts already...

Have you tried that Flahavans seedy porridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Hey Bambaata
    Throw the nutella between 2 oat cakes and add some mashed banana or strawberries... yum!

Fair play on the discipline with the diet. Whats with the protein powder in the porridge though? Plenty of protein in the milk, linseed and walnuts already...

X-rated porridge? Do tell more!!

Hey Bambaata

I love the protein powder in it. Its like a sweetener (vanilla flavour). That and protein helps suppress the appetite. I feel i get to lunch before the next decent sized meal much easier and have less cravings when i have a high protein brekkie.

Connected to that actually, has anyone read much about Dr Sears Zone Diet? If so is there a book they'd recommend. Good article on it in the recent Triathlete Europe. He's an advocate of a 40/30/30 split of carbs/fats/protein while maintaining a hormonal balance to reduce cellular inflammation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The crossfit folks are huge fans of Zone. There are plenty of interviews and talks on the crossfit site with Dr. Sears. Personally I think it's a little anal. Too much weighing and exact portions. It can be overkill. A mix of it and Paeo would strike a very good balance.

I'd highly recommend going to a Barry Murray talk Eddie. He's moving back to Dublin. I see he's working with Gavin Noble now. Brian McCrystal is a big fan too. Check out ON4S.

BTW, what was the session yesterday? I'm assuming it was an easy session as there was no food after it.

Hey Bambaata

Peanut butter is lovely on oat cakes and is far healthier than Nutella. Although Nutella rocks. :cool:

Given that linseed and walnuts each have around 18g of protein per 100g portion I wouldn't think you would be getting a whole lot from them in a bowl of porridge. A half portion of protein will give you 10g. So I'd say Eddie is probably getting around 20 to 25g in his porridge which sounds about right.

I'm not sure about the milk as I don't drink milk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pgibbo wrote: »
    The crossfit folks are huge fans of Zone. There are plenty of interviews and talks on the crossfit site with Dr. Sears. Personally I think it's a little anal. Too much weighing and exact portions. It can be overkill. A mix of it and Paeo would strike a very good balance.

I'd highly recommend going to a Barry Murray talk Eddie. He's moving back to Dublin. I see he's working with Gavin Noble now. Brian McCrystal is a big fan too. Check out ON4S.

I second the Barry Murray recommendation. I'll be looking into a few sessions with him when he's back in Dublin.

Best part is he practices what he preaches unlike a lot of other nutritionists who just regurgitate information from outdated text books...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I love the protein powder in it. Its like a sweetener (vanilla flavour). That and protein helps suppress the appetite. I feel i get to lunch before the next decent sized meal much easier and have less cravings when i have a high protein brekkie.

+1 on this customary brekkie is porridge with a full scoop of protein and i get no cravings up to lunchtime, in the past i used to always snack around 11 or so but the protein gives me that full feeling.

BTW, what was the session yesterday? I'm assuming it was an easy session as there was no food after it.

Might get onto my old college then who's running Crossfit Ireland and see what he thinks of it. Havent spoken to him in yrs actually so would be good to catch up.

I dont think id go to weighing everything and i know they say that every meal needs the balance. Id do what i do with anything like this, read it get some ideas and see what might work. Same with the Paleo, i like to take bits from that but wouldn't ever go 100% Paleo

Cheers for the heads up on Barry Murray. I'll keep an eye out for him.

Just hadnt got a chance to update yesterday so have added dinner in there now ;-)

Serious amount of reading and research some of you guys do into the food you eat. Paleo, Zone Diet, ON4S, none of this I know anything about. And whats wrong with snacking at 11 as long as you do it right?

Serious amount of reading and research some of you guys do into the food you eat. Paleo, Zone Diet, ON4S, none of this I know anything about. And whats wrong with snacking at 11 as long as you do it right?

I'm a big fan of snacking. Most days around 11 I have some oat cakes with peanut butter or maybe some mixed nuts (walnut, almond, brazil, cashew and hazelnuts) and some raisins or dried apricots.

Grazing is the way to go rather than 3 large meals!

Grazing is the way to go rather than 3 large meals!

You don't approve of both then? :D

Todays eating hasnt been quite so good and im trying to suss what some it it was! Does anyone know what Chinese people eat for brekkie? Well i had a mix of it and i couldnt identify much

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Chien Curry isn't it?

Thursday 26th January Training
    Bike
    Plan was for 45mins of 02:30 @85%, 00:30 @ 120%. They all felt fine. I had to fix a flat before getting on but unfortuntaley i didnt do a good enough of a job. By 30mins into the overall session with just 6 reps done the tyre was going down again! Raging i was, i got off hoping i could struggle on after pumping it back up but it was gone again after 1 more rep so i just spun down for 2 mins or so and stopped. Twas quite late and i was wrecked after a long day at work so i just baled to bed. I wont be fixing a tube again just beforehand, i'll just throw a new one in instead, lesson learned
    Time: 00:37:02, Ave Power 234W, Distance 19.85km, Ave speed 31.7km/h

Friday 27th January Food Diary
    Breakfast (08:15)
    Porridge with 1/2 scoup protein powder, walnuts, manuka honey
    Vit-C tablet drink with multi-vit and lysine

Snack (11:30)
    Chinese brekkie? Some sort of dumplings, some fish little wrap things, some sort of pastry thingy and a fried egg.
    I sncuk into the meeting room where there had just been a chinese VIP in, id been up to check everything was set before the meeting and was licking my lips at the sight of everything after one of the catering managers was telling me what everything was. Fortunately they didnt tocuh a thing so there was loads left for me aftert the meeting :P Ate a bit much though

Lunch (14:45)
    Plate of chips and chicken curry with red/green peppers and courgettes
    I had asked for a sandwich and they were about to through everything out in the canteen so i asked if i cud hae some chips on the side of the sambo. Low and behold i was handed a full plate with the chicken curry on top. How could i refuse! They even wrapped up the sambo and gave me 3 vegie spring rolls as a take away as there was loads in the curry/chips

Snack (17:40)
    One of the spring rolls before heading off for my swim

Dinner (20:15)
    Potatoes, carrots, beans, 2 spring rolls, 2 small salmon fillets

"Snack" (22:00)
    Lion bar and a Double Decker mmmmm
    On the drive from Dublin to Galway i had to get fuel and at €1.60 for two chocolate bars i just could resist them with my coffee!

Polished the day off with a Hoegaarden at 00:30

Friday was one of those days where i could have eaten for Ireland, eventhough i was full all day i could have eaten twoice what i did. I was craving food, any kind!!

Friday 27th January Training
    Lunchtime Run
    I made sure to keep R to 130s this time. The readings were going beserk though but any time i did get it to settle it was around 138 to start and later as low as 131. Decent run. Its funny i use to always get a little tight on the top outside of my right calf but the last 2 weeks i havent noticed it at all! I havent changed anything so its a bit puzzling.
    Time: 00:42:00, Ave Pace: 04:19min/km, Ave HR About 137, Distance: 9.5km Details TBC as i havent uploaded yet but pace is correct

Evening Swim
    Wasnt my best session, arms just felt tired and times were a little down. Twas a mix of steady pulls and mod-hard swims but 50 times were falling off in the reps despite RPE being consistent. Had some fast 50s to finish which were 40, 41, 42, 42
    Time:01:03:00, Distance: 3200m

• Advertisement

Saturday 28th January Food Diary
    Breakfast (10:45)
    Porridge, 1/2 scoup protein powder.
    1 boiled egg

Lunch - Post cycle (16:30)
    Yesterday's sandwich! - Chicken, coleslaw, cheese, sweetcorn, tomato relish, brown sauce with a baked egg and 4 small slices of toast and a few pringles
    Cup of 7up/lemon

Dinner (20:30)
    Way too much fajitas, lasagna, with 2 wraps, sour cream, homemade wedges and cheese
    Not quite sure exact times for the remainder of the day but i had the following crap at some point

3 pieces of mars rice krispies, 3 roses chocolates, small piece of cake, 2 glasses of 7up/fanta

Saturday 28th January Training
    Long Bike
    I was really dreading this. It looked horrible out and was exactly that. I was in no humour for this for some reason. I woke up yesterday with a slightly sore throat. It was that kind of swollen feeling as opposed to raw. Almost 100% today but i was pissed off that it was even that yesterday and i think that played on my mind a bit. I was wearing wet gear but still got wet although i wasnt cold. Plan was 1hr easy and then 4 reps of 20on/10easy with reps 1, 2 & 3 at 80% FTP, 4 at 90%. All were ticked off easily enough, a little bit of effort on the 90 one but not one second of this ride did i enjoy. Bit crazy at work and i havent been sleeping well so im just glad to get this one ticked off and expect to be back to normal tomorrow after another good nights sleep! Ave cadence was very low for me for some reason!
    Time: 03:16:02, Ave Power 206W, Ave Cadence 84rpm, Distance 93.65km, Ave speed 28.5km/h

Sunday 29th January
    Food:
    Breakfast (9:30)
    Two baked eggs, 2 slices of toast, OJ

Brekkie #2 (11:30)
    Bowl of Fruit and Fibre with extra banana, red and green grapes and 1/2 scoup protein powder
    Vit-C drink, milti-vit and lysine

Post Run (15:30)
    Chicken fajitas, 2 wraps, cheese, sour cream and small bit of lasagna (leftovers)
    Slice of maderia cake with coffee

Dinner (20:30)
    Home made pizza with chicken, ham, pinapple, peperoni, red pepper, red onion, cheese, egg (the works!)

Drive back to Dublin (21:30/22:30)
    Slice of maderia cake and bag of Hunky Dorys

I also had 2 glasses of Fanta and a piece of mars rice krispies at some stage ion the middle of the day

Training:
    Easy Run
    Plan was for 90mins easy with 30s walks every 19:30mins. I was hoping this would go well and get the mojo back after yesterdays horrible cycle. For the first 30mins or so i was not feeling the may west. HR was very low and effort was well up trying to get it to rise. I wasnt forcing too much but didnt feel too easy. Suddenly around the 30min mark i came to life and from there the run was effortless despite HR then climbing into the easy zone. Really really enjoyed it and could have gone on and on at this. Weather started quite overcast but ended up clear skies! Really enjoyed this run, one of the best and happy to see pace didnt fall off too much despite the routwe getting lumpier and lumpier as i went on. Rep 4 had constant short sharp climbs
    The reps were as follows:

Split Time Distance Avg Pace Best Pace Avg HR Max HR
    1 00:19:30 4.73 04:08 03:14 131 143
    2 00:00:30 0.05 09:06 03:54 123 134
    3 00:19:30 4.77 04:06 03:16 138 146
    4 00:00:30 0.06 08:43 04:02 138 144
    5 00:19:30 4.64 04:12 03:26 140 147
    6 00:00:30 0.05 09:19 05:04 141 146
    7 00:19:30 4.61 04:14 03:15 140 146
    8 00:00:30 0.06 08:47 04:22 134 140
    9 00:09:58 2.38 04:11 03:06 142 147
    Summary 01:29:58 21.34 04:13 03:06 138 147

Kept it nice and controlled the whole way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

a 1:29 half marathon training run that included 2.5 minutes of walking :eek:

Thats quick.

Cheers Mike. Went well alright. Happy to feel the love for it again after Saturdays session.

Eddie, cracking running. I was happy with my run from yesterday until I read your splits! :D

Do you ever take anything straight after the long bike or run or hard sessions? 1 scoop of protein in 8oz of fruit juice and a banana works great. Then the recovery meal around an hour later or sooner if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

Great run but why the 30 second walks?

Will you be doing over in Majorca...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Its funny i use to always get a little tight on the top outside of my right calf but the last 2 weeks i havent noticed it at all! I havent changed anything so its a bit puzzling

Just be thankful :)

@HalfTri I do this too and love it. For me it just breaks up the LSR into intervals, "two down, one to go..." etc.. I have also heard that this tactic can lead to a faster marathon time (so long as you are not trying to break 2:30 or something).

Great running Eddie. On the east side of the country it was very cold/icey Sat morning, I'd take that any day off wet and windy.

Do you ever take anything straight after the long bike or run or hard sessions? 1 scoop of protein in 8oz of fruit juice and a banana works great. Then the recovery meal around an hour later or sooner if you can.
    Id generally have food within 20mins but if i don't i would have a protein shake and some Lucazade Sport or something.

HalfTri wrote: »
    Great run but why the 30 second walks?

Will you be doing over in Majorca...
    Cheers, no i wont. Its to help with recovery. It means less recovery time for pretty much the same benefit from the session so i can get back quicker for the next session. The benefits come from recovery so it helps that along.

• Advertisement

That run....you are definitely smokin' hot right now!

Advertisement