Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year old 5s losing battery power

• 16-11-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi

My iPhone 5s on Vodafone is 10-11 months old and is now not holding a charge for a full day.

My usage pattern is pretty normal and up to a week ago, a charge would easily last the day. I charge the phone every night but never had to during the day.

Now, by 7-8pm I'm on the redline. I fully charged the phone before going to bed last night and left it overnight with no 3G data or no Wifi running and by morning, half the battery charge was gone.

How normal is this? I don't think I mistreated the battery in any way. I don't particularly want to change phones or go to the 6 so I'm thinking at less than a year old, Vodafone should repair it with a new battery.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Apple have a recall for batteries for the five series

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

OU812 wrote: »
    Apple have a recall for batteries for the five series

Just the 5 and not the 5s or 5c. The 5 is a certain serial number batch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Contact Apple, they can test if your battery is faulty or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Contact Apple, they can test if your battery is faulty or not.

I'd reckon my first port of call would be Vodafone. My contract is with them.

Up to you. Your one year limited warranty is with Apple. I'd deal with them over Vodafone every day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭jamesd

Go straight to Apple , easier to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Like others said, definitely don't do that -unless you like waiting a long time for a fix- talk to apple direct. I've had a 3 month old iPhone 5s replaced for the same problem (Vodafone provided as well).
    Apple will ask you to reset and restore the iPhone to see if this solves your problem, I had already done that before I spoke to them so you'd want to do that first (also it might fix it). Apple will run a remote diagnostic and they'll be able to tell if it was done.

Well I've already reset it back to defaults but I haven't gone as far as a full wipe and restore. I'm going to have to do that anyway wherever it gets sent away to.
    Consensus seems to be to try Apple so I'll give them a go first. That said, I've always found Vodafone have treated me well.

Thanks all.
    flyguy wrote: »
    Like others said, definitely don't do that -unless you like waiting a long time for a fix- talk to apple direct. I've had a 3 month old iPhone 5s replaced for the same problem (Vodafone provided as well).
    Apple will ask you to reset and restore the iPhone to see if this solves your problem, I had already done that before I spoke to them so you'd want to do that first (also it might fix it). Apple will run a remote diagnostic and they'll be able to tell if it was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Replaced my battery yesterday. Took about 20 mins including watching a YouTube video.

Like a new phone now. Went to bed last night with 100%. Woke up with 89%. Gone all day with moderate use & have 23% left. Phone feels a little faster too, which is strange.

Cost €9 off eBay for the kit & battery.

If 'twas out of warranty I'd go that route but it's not even a year old and I haven't abused the phone.
    I've tried the full reset and it made no difference. So I'll try Apple and see how I get on.
    OU812 wrote: »
    Replaced my battery yesterday. Took about 20 mins including watching a YouTube video.

Like a new phone now. Went to bed last night with 100%. Woke up with 89%. Gone all day with moderate use & have 23% left. Phone feels a little faster too, which is strange.

Cost €9 off eBay for the kit & battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Having a similar problem with an 11 month old 5S. Did a full reset last night and think its actually made the battery worse. I called Apple on Tuesday and had a very productive conversation with their custimer help, she went to get approval for them to send me a new phone at no cost, but then the call cut off. Called them back and ended up talking to an unhelpful and quite rude representative. Told me the normal steps to do which I said I would, but she said if I wanted them to send me a replacement phone before I sent mine back in then I would have to pay a service fee (Which I was fine with) and a hold fee for the entire cost of a new phone (Which I definitely couldn't afford). Anyone had any experience of this or how I should proceed?

I've also noticed in the last month or two, that when i press on the top right of the phone, the screen seems to be a bit loose, especially in comparison to the other side, would this be a common problem?

Would appreciate any advice/opinion, on both of the above! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭guil

The hold for the cost of the phone is the standard thing. Why would you send you a replacement and trust you to send the other back?

I'm not saying its not the standard, I understand the principle behind it. But she openly admitted I was being punished because Apple didn't have a store here. It's just extremely expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭guil

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    I'm not saying its not the standard, I understand the principle behind it. But she openly admitted I was being punished because Apple didn't have a store here. It's just extremely expensive

That's a ridiculous analogy. You can go to Belfast to get it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

I've had two phones replaced by apple with the most recent one arriving today, my 3 week old Iphone 6 died on me. Each time Apple have waived the €29 return fee for me as they have no Apple store near me.

ynwa_17 wrote: »

What guil said is the case though. If the phone call had not been cut-off that cust serv person would have asked you for the same (€29 advance replacement fee and the full price of the phone on hold on a credit card).
    I've done this a few times and it's a great service. If you've apple care the fee is waived.
    You can't say that you're being punished for Apple not having a store here, you didn't buy it in their store... Legally they can tell you to go back to VF and wait (a lot longer) for them to sort it and there will be no option of advance replacement... or even a loan phone.

What guil said is the case though. If the phone call had not been cut-off that cust serv person would have asked you for the same (€29 advance replacement fee and the full price of the phone on hold on a credit card).
    I've done this a few times and it's a great service. If you've apple care the fee is waived.
    You can't say that you're being punished for Apple not having a store here, you didn't buy it in their store... Legally they can tell you to go back to VF and wait (a lot longer) for them to sort it and there will be no option of advance replacement... or even a loan phone.

I did buy it in their store, albeit across the Irish Sea. Belfast could be a good call though! On the initial call, she said that she was fairly confident the fee would be waived as they didn't have a store in my country (Belfast is in a different country).

Belfunk wrote: »
    I've had two phones replaced by apple with the most recent one arriving today, my 3 week old Iphone 6 died on me. Each time Apple have waived the €29 return fee for me as they have no Apple store near me.

With regards to waiving the fee, I think that's more because the phone was only 3 weeks old, I doubt they'll do that for a phone for which the warranty is nearly up. I've had to pay 3 times, once was on a 2 month old iPhone 5s.
    Edit- I guess I was wrong. Must be pure luck and who you get on the phone...
    Sorry I thought yours was supplied by Vodafone.

Well that was useful.

I've just been on to Apple. They determined that my mail app is using the most power 22-24%. Recommended I go back to checking mail every half hour or even every hour - I'm not going to do that.

Also claimed that background apps would also steal battery power. He seemed quite shocked that I had around 15 in the background and suggested that no more than 5 is recommended.

He couldn't seem to grasp my point that my phone was fine until a few weeks ago and my usage patterns haven't changed. He got me to run diagnostics and they told him that my battery was in the green.

According to him, Apple will not replace a battery under warranty, only in cases where the customer has bought Apple Care. Is that right?

So, I reckon I have two choices: Try Vodafone or get a replacement battery. Are the ones on ebay any good?

Well that was useful.

I've just been on to Apple. They determined that my mail app is using the most power 22-24%. Recommended I go back to checking mail every half hour or even every hour - I'm not going to do that.

Also claimed that background apps would also steal battery power. He seemed quite shocked that I had around 15 in the background and suggested that no more than 5 is recommended.

He couldn't seem to grasp my point that my phone was fine until a few weeks ago and my usage patterns haven't changed. He got me to run diagnostics and they told him that my battery was in the green.

According to him, Apple will not replace a battery under warranty, only in cases where the customer has bought Apple Care. Is that right?

So, I reckon I have two choices: Try Vodafone or get a replacement battery. Are the ones on ebay any good?

If the battery is green, replacing it isn't the option. You need to optimise the software on the phone to improve your battery life.

• Advertisement

Well that was useful.

As I wrote before I had the same problem with a 5s (only few months old though).
    I had switched off background app refresh entirely and all other possible batt drains (except wifi&3g) and the phone still discharged at an abnormal rate. With no use it would lose >10% an hour where before I'd lose about 1-2% overnight. So I suggest maybe try the same. Because when Apple did diagnostic on my phone they found no fault and nothing wrong with the batt, but as it was discharging at this rate they still replaced the phone.

Well, with data and wifi off overnight, I'm still losing half my battery over 6-8 hours with nothing running.

I'll play around with things but I still reckon it's a hardware problem.

As I wrote before I had the same problem with a 5s (only few months old though).
    I had switched off background app refresh entirely and all other possible batt drains (except wifi&3g) and the phone still discharged at an abnormal rate. With no use it would lose >10% an hour where before I'd lose about 1-2% overnight. So I suggest maybe try the same. Because when Apple did diagnostic on my phone they found no fault and nothing wrong with the batt, but as it was discharging at this rate they still replaced the phone.

Well that's not normal, problem you had is that when they did the diagnostic you had a lot a things on that could cause batt drain.
    I would just try again and make sure to tell them that even with no use there is a large battery discharge...

Well that's not normal, problem you had is that when they did the diagnostic you had a lot a things on that could cause batt drain.
    I would just try again and make sure to tell them that even with no use there is a large battery discharge...

Well I got onto a very helpful rep last night and I emphasized that even overnight, with nothing but the phone running, it lost 24% over seven hours. She agreed that wasn't right and escalated my call. Ended up talking to a Cork guy so we quickly made progress.

He wanted me to reset the phone and run it for a day just to make sure that a rogue app or glitch in my data isn't causing the problem. If this is the case, he'll talk me through putting back my data in such a way that the problem doesn't recur.

If the battery still isn't holding a charge, there will be no problem getting an exchange and I'll be in London in just over a week so I can do it there over the counter.

I've done the reset and I'll run it like that for today and see what happens but it looks like I'll be sorted whichever way it goes.

Just to finish this off, I made an appointment at the 'Genius Bar' - what an inane name.
    Anyway, the girl I dealt with ran some deeper diagnostics and didn't seem convinced that the battery was knackered, despite the evidence of the graphs showing the battery flattening to nothing in not a huge amount of time. She seemed under the impression that there are 10 hours in the day, not 24. Decimal system eh?
    She eventually went off to talk to a supervisor and came back and agreed to swap out the phone 11 days before warranty ran out.
    Inquired about getting a 6 and they would allow £200 trade in for my 5s but I'd have to stump up just over £400. Wasn't worth that to me so I walked out with a new 5s that even has a 90 day warranty.
    Guess what - it's lasting the full day again.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mfield

Having the same problem with my 5s.

It's super slow to charge and then the battery drains really fast as well. I have tried everything, I even wiped it and ran it as new with no apps installed and the problem still exists. I was onto Apple and they ran the diagnostic test and it passed. So I dunno what to do now. Any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭keith_d99

mfield wrote: »
    Having the same problem with my 5s.

It's super slow to charge and then the battery drains really fast as well. I have tried everything, I even wiped it and ran it as new with no apps installed and the problem still exists. I was onto Apple and they ran the diagnostic test and it passed. So I dunno what to do now. Any help would be great.

I would push Apple on this ...
    Eventhough it passed the Diagnostic test ... Batteries are covered under the 2 year EU rule

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Eventhough it passed the Diagnostic test ... Batteries are covered under the 2 year EU rule

no such thing in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

keith_d99 wrote: »

100% wrong. Batteries are consumables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mfield

Thanks for the answers lads, gonna head to an Apple store and see what they can do. I've an iPhone 4 with a better battery than my 5s. :confused:

Advertisement