Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths Sample Papers 2014......Finally

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

AW YUSS MATHS GET PUMPED

Thanks for the heads up, Huell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Huell wrote: »
    Took them long enough

You'd wonder why when it's the same bloody sample paper as last year with a few dates changed to 2013 and 2 or 3 questions from the old strand replaced with the new strand.

Surely we should get different sample questions from sample papers every year? :mad:

2014 Paper 1:
    http://www.examinations.ie/schools/LCEV2014/Project_Maths_Phase_3_P1_Higher_Level.pdf
    2013 Paper 1:
    http://www.examinations.ie/schools/LCEV2013/Project_Maths_Phase_2_P1_Higher_Level.pdf

2014 Paper 2:
    http://www.examinations.ie/schools/LCEV2014/Project_Maths_Phase_3_P2_Higher_Level.pdf
    2013 Paper 2:
    http://www.examinations.ie/schools/LCEV2013/Project_Maths_Phase_2_P2_Higher_Level.pdf

Now, now, they rearranged the order, messed with the formatting a bit...

I mean, look at Q4 on the paper 2s... They took out an entire space!

yoho139 wrote: »
    Now, now, they rearranged the order, messed with the formatting a bit...

I mean, look at Q4 on the paper 2s... They took out an entire space!

I see it now, yoho! Those spaces were getting ridiculous.

b0f42b396036ad17fa67af4e3391672a.png
    4f983dcb20d65d898b5b4413d92b5d50.png

There should be at least 2 or 3 sample questions on each topic, not the same questions every year. More samples for students and more samples for publishers to look at when making their own sample papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CianMulvihill

The examinations papers are a bit of a racket and they go up in price every year. There are more free resources coming on stream however to fill in the gaps while the Project Maths curriculum gets bedded in. Khan Academy have been at it for a while and are great on algebra and are free too - but - I recently saw at a Maths Teachers' event that an Irish site is giving free Project Maths tutorials for free online. I know some of the teachers involved and the quality is pretty impressive - it will be a useful resource come exam time for many and I highly recommend, furthermore, it's completely free and might be a useful alternative to doing the same exam papers over and over again — http://alison.com/projectmaths/

—Cian

• Advertisement

The examinations papers are a bit of a racket and they go up in price every year.

Except for the part where they're all available free on examinations. Only thing you're paying for is convenience. Once that becomes worth less than the papers to you, just use the ones online, or print them off yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm not fond of the reduction of the amount of calculus on the paper. What's on it now is watered down shíte that won't benefit people who want to do engineering in college. I also don't understand how it took them this long to release a sample paper especially when it's basically a rehash of last year's paper with a few new questions added on. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

can somebody help me with sample paper 1 of 2014 question 1(b) I have no Idea how to figure out which point is which on the diagram.

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    can somebody help me with sample paper 1 of 2014 question 1(b) I have no Idea how to figure out which point is which on the diagram.

Haven't done Complex Numbers in a while but I think I remember this..

795356ed1a0d52d54d592843b10808f1.png

They must satisfy the following conditions:
    4548be325d824848e205798dd8e96413.png

Multiplying by i is just a 90° rotation. If it was i(3+4i) it would be -4 + 3i. The modulus of numbers remain the same because the numbers themselves also, haven't really changed.

You kind of have to look at it and realise that the first one from the left and the last one are just rotations of each other. You can confirm it if you draw a straight line from the origin to both points, they both have the same modulus and the lines are perpendicular. So one of them is z1 and the other one is z2, we don't know which one yet.

z3 is k times z1. Multiplying a complex number by a number extends its modulus, it still stays on the same line. Notice how the 3rd and 4th one from the left are collinear, they're the only ones, so one of them has to be z1 and the other one has to be z3.

But the 4th one can only be z1 or z2, as we found out earlier. So it has to be z1, meaning the third one is z3, the first one is z2 and the 2nd one is z4.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Haven't done Complex Numbers in a while but I think I remember this..

795356ed1a0d52d54d592843b10808f1.png

They must satisfy the following conditions:
    4548be325d824848e205798dd8e96413.png

Multiplying by i is just a 90° rotation. If it was i(3+4i) it would be -4 + 3i. The modulus of numbers remain the same because the numbers themselves also, haven't really changed.

You kind of have to look at it and realise that the first one from the left and the last one are just rotations of each other. You can confirm it if you draw a straight line from the origin to both points, they both have the same modulus and the lines are perpendicular. So one of them is z1 and the other one is z2, we don't know which one yet.

z3 is k times z1. Multiplying a complex number by a number extends its modulus, it still stays on the same line. Notice how the 3rd and 4th one from the left are collinear, they're the only ones, so one of them has to be z1 and the other one has to be z3.

But the 4th one can only be z1 or z2, as we found out earlier. So it has to be z1, meaning the third one is z3, the first one is z2 and the 2nd one is z4.

Alright thanks I get it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Louiseh714

Can come body help my with question two on paper 1 ordinary level please?

A sum of €5,000 is invested in an eight-year government bond with an annual equivalent rate (AER) of 6%. Find the value of the investment when it matures in eight years’ time.

This means each year it will increase by 6%, which can be written as
    A=P(1+i[latex])^t[/latex]
    where A is the final amount, P is the initial amount and i is the AER in decimal form.

The reason that is the formula is that you start with your P, and for each year you multiply it by (1+i), as that will give you the amount at the end of that year. Since you are multiplying it by (1+i) t times (one for each year), you can just raise (1+i) to the power of t.

Plug in your values and you'll have your answer.
    A different investment bond gives 20% interest after 8 years. Calculate the AER for this bond.

What this means is that (using the formula above) P(1+i[latex])^8[/latex]=1.2P, as the final value is 1.2 times (20% increase) the initial value.
    Cancel your Ps and then use logs to solve for i.

For future reference, there is an OL/HL Maths help thread here. Please use it so people can use this thread if they want to discuss the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 werbyderby

Hi guys
    Can someone help me with 9(c) and (d).

werbyderby wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Can someone help me with 9(c) and (d).

Helps to know what paper and level you're referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

Does anyone know if the Edco Sample Papers are different to the Educate ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

They are. They are made separately by each company.

Flickka wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Edco Sample Papers are different to the Educate ones?

Yes, they're both different.

Since there's only a handful of sample and past questions, each company makes their own sample papers.

So if your teacher says everyone must get the same papers, it's not like the other subjects where a different company will do just fine. If you get different papers, it's like having a different book to everyone else in the room.

Oh srry. Sample paprer project maths 2014 higher lvl. Amy help would be appreciated.thanks.

werbyderby wrote: »
    Oh srry. Sample paprer project maths 2014 higher lvl. Amy help would be appreciated.thanks.

There is no part 9d on paper 1, no part c or d in paper 2. Are you looking at the papers linked to here?

I meant paper 1 project maths higher level Q9 part b. Any help? Thanks��

• Advertisement

Basically, you have to look at the information they give you for v and plot it over time. So a straight line along 0 from t=0 to t=0.2, then increasing at the rate given, then another straight line once you reach the time they give you.

I'll explain in more detail tomorrow (well, today) night, if you need more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Alison55

Is anyone else in fifth year right now and scared of project maths as the questions are so long and wordy, also does anyone know if the institute is any good for their grinds?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 romanita

Can anyone help with the 2014 HL sample paper 1, Q9 (c).? I've looked at the solution and i get bits and pieces but my teacher is no use, she keeps putting off doing it. And the exams are in 3 weeks lol.. Please and thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yayakolo

For part c (i)
    you differentiate the volume of a sphere with respect to its radius and show that it equals the surface area of a sphere
    for part ii
    you set the Volume at the start (V) equal to the volume after an hour V1
    V1 is half of V i.e V= half V
    plug in your formula and you'll get r (at the start) =cubic root of a half times r (after an hour)
    that's the same as R =0.7937R ie after an hour the radius is 79.37% of its original size
    because the radius is decreasing constantly we can say 100 divided by 20.63 is 4.847hrs or 291 mins
    hope this helps

Advertisement