Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Angels???

• 15-07-2008 10:53pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

hi all I drop by here from time to time and I was just wondering what do ye think of angels? Do they exist?

I read the book by Lorna Byrne Angels in my hair and its nice to think that perhaps there are angels around us helping and guideing us..

Most books I've read on angels have been written by american authors so I would be a bit skeptical. But this one is close to home so has anyone here met her or do ye know anything about her??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i would like to think something helps us along in life but in fairness we make our own decisions.

i need help now and nothing is coming!!!! wheres my angel?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I wouldnt believe in angels in the Christian sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I actually read a good chunk of that book. It was some of the worst writing I've ever seen in my life.

It's all a bit over the top and they are very much Christian angels that she's talking about in the book and can't be construed as anything else.. she even meets the devil... Stoner might like that part.

why dont people belive that they made the right decision or that there is actually nice ppl on the planet...... no it has to be angels!!!!

if thats the case let me introduce myself.... i am angel martin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Stoner might like that part.
    fishingnet.jpg

Anyway , I havnt read the book, or any book on Angels. I believe that Angels were created to imply a contact between humaity and a Gods who practice a strick "isolationist" policy.

• Advertisement

+1

its an idea to remind us that were that great after all and people who think that need to idea of angels to get through the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Haven't read the book but have heard of it. If she is a christian then it would stand to reason her angels take on the form her upbringing has given her just as someone from a different culture or otherwise would see their helpers as something else. I think angels etc are given to us as our own perception can understand, so an actual real description could just be out of our understanding. I do think we solve and create most if not all our problems ourselves so in a sense we can be our own angel but hey I am not perverse to a little higher power jumpin in where needed but I dont think they ever really solve anything only maybe set you on the right train of thought to solve it for your self.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There is a big trend towards Angel belief at the moment, and to me it just seems like the whole angel thing is having a popular moment, and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. Thats not to say that I dont think there is anything out there, I do. I just dont necessarily think they are angels or native american indians or anything else for that matter. I believe that who or whatever is out there helping us will take a form that we will find comfortable and easy to relate to personally. What you will see and understand as an angel, I might see as a spirit person or being of light or even a spirit animal. If it resonates with you then thats all good. I try not to take any belief systems like that too literally. (I dont look for feathers as signs for example) I think your truth and your spiritual path is yours and yours alone and cannot be taught to you by a single book.

I do hate the fact that the angel thing is a huge money spinning industry though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Well I read the whole book, and yes her writing is not complicated but she (Lorna byrne) has said that she was always considered to be a slow learner (I suppose dyslexia) and she was considered a bit strange or odd within her own family.

She also says something to the effect, that she was told regardless of religion that angels are there for everyone.

The reason she said, she was told to write this book is to encourage people to ask their angels for help as people don't verbally ask their angel to help them. She appears to be a very genuine sort of person.

have a look at this interview with her
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=7600YkaML1o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Because of my Christian beliefs, I believe in angels. however not in the sense that many people seem to in books of this type.

Many of the perceptions about angels that are out there are in fact not in tune with what the bible says.

Also angel worshipping is not permitted under Christian beliefs.

So i get confused at all this new age Angel stuff. (I never liked buffy anyway!:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

There does seem to be a 'movement' dynamic to the angels thing alright. I cant comment on the newer books as I have read none, nor do I know anything about it. Angels dont figure too highly in Irish legend either, despite the Christian associations it does seem to be a modern phenomenon.

Are you talking Angels in the biblical sense or the Dr Doreen Virtue sense

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I wouldn't believe in the religious teachings of angels but i believe through some good experiences of some sort of angel each person has.

Anyone ever offers to help you get in touch with your angels for a fee or sells books talking about angels i wouldn't bother. Discover it for yourself. Such information should be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Im afraid of opening my curtains to see a Angel staring into me through my window :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

You can't possibly fathom the idea of angels WITHOUT the existence of a higher power.
    And people saying that they would not believe in them in a "religious" sense is complete bull****, like come on, all ideas of vampires, zombies, the living dead comes from the bible, and peoples inner perceptions of angels also comes from the bible.

Think about it
    "Angels helping and guiding in some way"
    And now reference to what the bible would say about angels?
    That they were heavenly bodies sent by God to guide?
    Mary, mother-a-jesus, was told she was gonna have a kid, and to name it jesus, noah, big ark guy, was asked to build an ark, i'd say there is a chance that there was other people asked by God to accomplish these tasks who just reject it. Leading into the idea of free will.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble, or get anyone annoyed, but this is all IMHO. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

You can't possibly fathom the idea of angels WITHOUT the existence of a higher power.
    And people saying that they would not believe in them in a "religious" sense is complete bull****, like come on, all ideas of vampires, zombies, the living dead comes from the bible, and peoples inner perceptions of angels also comes from the bible.

I agree. In fact all common superstitions are derived from Christianity too. Its a bit of an oxymoron to be a superstitious atheist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The concept of Angels existed long before Christianity. Angels are found in many pagan beliefs, celtic and norse mythology, and analogues to angels exist in buddhism and hindu. Altough the view of angels held by most people in the modern western world would be coloured by christian, the idea of angels certainly didn't begin there.

It's not unusual for non-christians to believe in angels. Although generally they would follow some form of spirituality. I'd imagine it is quite unusual to find an atheist who believes in angels :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭celticcutie

I'd love to get a private appointment with Lorna Byrne after reading her book but her website isn't offering any assistance in that regard. Anyone been to see her before or know how to get in contact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 shush 'n listen

What are Angels ? What are Orbs ? What is a Ghost ? What is a Spirit ? are they just a figment of our imagination or are they real ??????

Shush 'n listen what do you hear ??

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

The sound of fans in my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bookreader

Angels are the saving of me. I was heading on a very "bad path" until I found them, by chance. I now work with them. As for paying people to pass on their help and buy books about them, we pay the doctor, psychics, bio energists, reiki therapists, lawyers, counsellors, how is a genuine person who wants to help others through angel card readings supposed to spread their wonderful messages, without reaching a wider number of people,than our friends and neighbours, and there needs to be a balance in all of our lives, of giving and receiving. I am not saying that their fees should be hundreds of euro, but even the priest gets paid from somewhere, we all have to live. I agree with someone else who said, that whoever or whatever we are drawn to, we have free will, will lead us to where we need to be, but we certainly have so much help from Spirit, loved ones passed over, angels, spirit guides.

• Advertisement

I dont think Lorna does private readings, she seems to just give public talks. Francesca Brown does private readings and evenings with your angels. (My Whispering Angels)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Havnt read any books but I have done a few angel classes, loved every second, a few strange things did happen to me but all nice things, I often ask my angels for help and always thank them

Even if they aren't real they have been a great comfort to me over the years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

angels are 100% REAL.

I've come a long way since 2007. I've a website, Facebook page and written a book. I won't " sell " myself but you can by all means pm me. Angels have brought me this far but also my loved ones in spirit. Powerful. So happy to have learned that there is indeed a bigger picture!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

What are Angels ? What are Orbs ? What is a Ghost ? What is a Spirit ? are they just a figment of our imagination or are they real ??????

Shush 'n listen what do you hear ??
    “Um, Dad? What is the mind? Is it a system of impulses or is it something tangible?”

“Relax… what is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.”

In the bigger scheme of things, we each have a very important reason for being on earth. From helping ancestors finish unfinished business, to bringing stronger light and love to the planet, to bringing children who have massive life purposes and it's all done through self healing and finding your own inner light. Whether it's angels, orbs, space ships, psychics, physical illness, meditation, yoga, etc we each find our own way. The goal is to bring love, light, peace and joy to our planet and let go of judgement, resentment, hatred and lower energies person by person, family by family. That's my learning on it all

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I find it amusing that most people think that the modern conception of angels, IE perfect looking people with white, feathery wings are angels which is a relatively modern invention. The devil has only ever been depicted as a snake in the bible. The almost red furred satyr-like look again is a modern conceit. The 'angels' from the bible were sets of spinning wheels with eyes lining the outer sides of the wheels or a lion with three animal heads and one human head.

To be honest though, I very much doubt that angels in any sense exist. Same as god or the devil. I find it hard to believe that the beliefs of a Bronze age society.

Advertisement