Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Anyone been to the above theme park in SW Germany ? If so, is it any good - how does it rate versus Eurodisney etc. ? Looks like tickets for 2 adults and 2 kids would come to well over €100 so is it an expensive but good day out, or a very expensive queueing experience ?

Any and all contributions welcomed.................thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Ok, I was there about 13/14 years ago as a kid. From what I remember we had a great day and the park was fairly professional looking and not crappy. My dad used to take us to really dodgy theme parks through Europe (there was one in France called Aerocity..... I still shudder!) so I remember expecting Europa park to be like that but it was actually very good.

Sorry I can't be more specific but it was a long time ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Afternoon all,

My sister & her family are doing the Orlando trip this year.

As there's 4 kids, 13-19 she's been quoted mad money for tickets to Disney & Universal theme parks.

Does anyone know are you better buy on the net before you go or wait until you're there

Thanks guys

Ladybird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Oh, Rosie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

They are mad money, it's $70 per person per day. Contact Tour America, they have specially created Irish market ones, multi admission that works out around $55 per day (per person). Having said that, I think it's money well spent once you're through the gates !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Warden

Last year i got my tickets online at themeparkticketsdirect.com and they were cheaper than going through the travel agents. They do disney ultimate two or three week tickets and they do the orlando flextickets for universal, seaworld, wetnwild etc. The tickets came in the post about two weeks after ordering them. I would recommend them and in fact we,re going back in august this year and i,ll be using them again. You can look them up on tripadvisor, hope that helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

disney is pretty expensive for what you get, there are no special deals on disney tickets, at best you will get maybe $5 off if you are a member of the US military or something

Going to seaworld is a good way to save money, for $89 you get a 2 day 2 park deal which includes Busch Gardens in Tampa (free transport from Universal Parking lot at 8am each morning) http://commerce.4adventure.com/EStore/Scripts/Skins/SWF/TicketsSeaWorldVisitors.aspx?selectedsellinggroupid=2011

Busch is a great park and far better than Disneys copycat Animal Kingdom

Your other option for discount tickets is to go to a time-share presentation, they last about 1.5-2hr but at the end you will have tickets for about half-price. last time i was in orlando we got the 2 universal parks for the price of one.

the 5 park flexi ticket is also decent value http://commerce.4adventure.com/EStore/Scripts/Skins/SWF/TicketsSeaWorldVisitors.aspx?selectedsellinggroupid=1502

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Thanks all,

This is pretty much the info I was getting on the web but wanted to check it out!

Didn't know about Busch Gardens though!

Thanks all

LB

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tamloc

Travelling over in May for a 1 night saty. Looking for cheap accomodation for a Family ( 2 adults and 3 kids). Most hotels accomodate 2+2, so can any of you guys help me out. Who like to be fairly near the theme parks but dont mind if it is Paris side. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

We are heding to here at the end of the month, we fly into Reus and are thinking of staying around here for a few days. Any one any recommendations? I was looking at the Port Adventura theme park too has anyone ever been?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Can recommend the Ebro Delta. (Delta de l'Ebre). See rice paddies and wild flamingoes. Do the boat trip.

Nice sea view in Tarragona at top of the Ramblas (pedestrian street) - Balconi de Meditteraneo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sounds nice. Can you recommend anywhere nice to stay? What are accommodation prices like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

explorers hotel beside the parks have rooms for 5/6 and 9/10 - you can book it through www.activehotels.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Myself, I always had the fortune of being able to stay with locals who I befriended in Ireland. I would suggest moving around accomodation-wise to max your exposure to the place. I am not as familiar with the area south of BCN as I am with Northern Catalunya. The east coast of Iberia is really one huge tourist resort. There is a big spectrum of prices but you predictably get what you pay for. There could be some nice hostels available this time of year and many of them offer single rooms. B&B type 'pensions' are also good value. Barcelona is considerably dearer I think than places like Reus or Tarragona. It has become one of these international all-year-round destinations. BCN has a great buzz of course but it is refreshing to escape to quieter places like Reus and see the true local life.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

hi, we went to Busch a few years back.

was not very impressed as the animals didn't look very well cared for. Maybe things have improved since.

we got our tickets in advance of going over for the theme parks. 1 suggestion, go for the bus ticket if you are not hiring a car, it worked out at something like $1 unlimited per day.

Enjoy yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tonyg

Hi ya,

The Elesyes Hotel is handy also for travelling to Disneyland Paris. Its in Val De Europe and only one stop away on the train. Massive shopping centre beside it too!

Tony

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

What kind of research have you come up with yourself?

If it's for one night then I don't see why you should stay in Paris.

What airport are you flying into? Do you intend to arrive in Paris and head to Disney the same day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

busch gardens is amazing, the rides are more catered for teenagers and adults, some terrifying coasters there. disney is really just for little kids in my opinion. islands of adventure and busch gardens are the best parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Possibly a number of these questions have been answered in previous threads but I'm looking for some fresh information and opinions.

Am heading away for 10 days in Orlando in June... so I've a couple of questions for anyone who's been there before in a similar timeframe:

Firstly.. with regards to the theme parks, myself and the girlfriend have been investigating investigating these "bundle tickets" (such as the Magic Your Way tickets). But no real ticket does all the sights and involves you buying a number of ticket bundles (which works out at about €250 each). Basically, the theme parks we're aiming for are Disneyland (The Magic Kingdom), Epcot, Seaworld and Universal Studios. Any recommendations for the tickets (or bundles) to get and where to get them?

Secondly, will the theme park queues be as bad as I'm imagining? I'm relying on Fastpass a fair bit but you can only have one Fastpass ticket at one time. :(

Thirdly, any recommendations on restaurants and / or shopping centres? Staying on International Drive in the 'Best Western Movieland' (across from Wet N Wild Water Park).

More questions to follow in time probably.

Thanks in advance.

disney are a pain in the ass that way, they do not participate in those bundle deals :mad: you have no choice but to buy disney tickets separately i am afraid and at $75 a day they will set you back alot, i just boycott disney now, they aren't worth the hassle, huge queues and lame rides to be honest.

Early June is pretty quiet by Orlando standards, the queues shouldn't be too bad, having said that the only way to be sure is to arrive at each park BEFORE the gates open and bobs your uncle. We were over there during Easter week and arrived at 8.30am and had all the rides in Islands of Adventure done by 12, amazing stuff, no queues early in the morning :D

Fastpass is the biggest load of BS ever, universal did away with it because it actually means more queueing, Disney are the only ones that participate in this scheme now, just arrive early and everything is grand, apart from seaworld where you have to wait for the shows throughout the day at specified times but that ain't a problem because they are held in large stadiums so you will get a seat.

loads of restaurants next to Wet and Wild, Ponderosa Steakhouse‎ is my favourite you can get a 16oz sirloin here with full buffet for $14, other good ones include Black Angus Steakhouse‎, Bennigan's Grill & Tavern‎, Shogun Restaurant and Sizzler. Finding a restaurant on I-Drive near Wet and Wild is easier than finding a pub in an Irish town :)

Festival Bay Mall is the closest big mall to wet and wild approx 1 mile north http://www.shopfestivalbaymall.com/html/

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply rossie1977.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    disney are a pain in the ass that way, they do not participate in those bundle deals :mad: you have no choice but to buy disney tickets separately i am afraid and at $75 a day they will set you back alot, i just boycott disney now, they aren't worth the hassle, huge queues and lame rides to be honest.
    Well, the girlfriend is a huge Disney fan so it's unavoidable I'm afraid. I'm not arsed to be honest.. but we're getting a 6 day MYW (Magic Your Way) ticket from UndercoverTourist.com (reputable seller) which allow you to go to one of these a day for 6 days (and that's $221):
    * Magic Kingdom®
    * Epcot®
    * Disney's Hollywood Studios™
    * Disney's Animal Kingdom®

But unfortunately it's looking like Seaworld and Universal Studios are gonna set us back an extra $120 - $140. Phew.. I got the holiday for a great price but these ticket prices do take the shine off it! :D
    Early June is pretty quiet by Orlando standards, the queues shouldn't be too bad, having said that the only way to be sure is to arrive at each park BEFORE the gates open and bobs your uncle. We were over there during Easter week and arrived at 8.30am and had all the rides in Islands of Adventure done by 12, amazing stuff, no queues early in the morning :D
    That's the plan.. be up at the crack of dawn alright. Try and get most stuff done for lunch and then just stroll around for the rest of the day.

A few people have said June will be pretty quiet alright.. but I assumed it was peak season.
    Fastpass is the biggest load of BS ever, universal did away with it because it actually means more queueing, Disney are the only ones that participate in this scheme now, just arrive early and everything is grand, apart from seaworld where you have to wait for the shows throughout the day at specified times but that ain't a problem because they are held in large stadiums so you will get a seat.
    Yeah, I never really got it myself. Queuing to get a Fastpass ticket to go back an hour later into a "priority queue"! :confused: Very odd, impractical and pointless alright!
    loads of restaurants next to Wet and Wild, Ponderosa Steakhouse‎ is my favourite you can get a 16oz sirloin here with full buffet for $14, other good ones include Black Angus Steakhouse‎, Bennigan's Grill & Tavern‎, Shogun Restaurant and Sizzler. Finding a restaurant on I-Drive near Wet and Wild is easier than finding a pub in an Irish town :)
    Yeah, there seems to be a load around there alright. Someone recommended Bahama Breeze to me too.. it's like a caribbean restaurant. Meant to be lovely. $14 steak buffet sold me! :D
    Festival Bay Mall is the closest big mall to wet and wild approx 1 mile north http://www.shopfestivalbaymall.com/html/
    Pfft.. showed that to the girlfriend who never heard of any of the stores! :mad: Think I might leave her behind..

.. but her parents said there's a decent mall a few miles away called The Millennium Mall (or something like that).

Cheers for your help again rossie1977.. it was much appreciated!

well advance purchase of Seaworld/Busch Gardens combo tickets and Universal/Islands of Adventure 2-Park Unlimited Admission Ticket will set you back roughly $170. $170 for four parks for 7 successive days ain't bad and a free bus to tampa (to busch gardens) and free in to all the clubs and pubs on universals city walk
    http://commerce.4adventure.com/eStore/scripts/skins/swf/ticketsmultidaySWBG.aspx

http://www.universalorlando.com/tickets.html

seaworld, busch gardens and islands of adventure are must dos in orlando, islands has consistently been ranked as second best park in the world, spiderman, duelling dragons, hulk, popeye and dudley do right murder nearly all the disney rides, sitting front row on sheikra in busch gardens is an experience and a half, its a billion times better if you don't hold on to the bar as i found out second time round :)

Disney is a long way from Wet and Wild so keep that in mind, Magic Kingdom is 20 miles away and i believe Epcot is the closest some 13-14 miles away.

easter (spring break), christmas/new year, labour day and weekend and fourth of july weekend are peak periods in orlando. the weather will also affect crowds. We rode the water rides last time out in islands of adventure on an overcast day about 19C, we were the only ones riding them, they even let us stay on :D

in that mall i linked there is a place called Bass Pro Shops, its probably the greatest store in the world for guys, if you like guns, fishing, camping, hunting, sports, BBQs you will love this place, they have tents bigger than Irish houses http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Shop_10151_-1_10001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭BJJDUB

For shopping go to the Prime One Mall (formerly known as The Belz Mall) on the northern most point on I-Drive (just past the Festival Bay Mall).

Also try the Premium Outlet Mall which is several miles further south on I-Drive.

If you are not driving, the I-Drive Trolley will bring you to and from both Malls.

Bahama Breeze is okay - it is a Caribbean themed bar / restaurant.

There are numerous new restaurants located at the Wonderworks attraction (the I-Drive Trolley will bring you here also) which is located south on I-Drive which are worth a visit. Actually, there are restaurants all over I-Drive as a previous post pointed out.

Try to get to a Superwalmart if you are looking for value for money shopping. The nearest one to your hotel is located on the corner of John Young Parkway and Sand Lake Road. If you are driving its easy to get to and its open 24 hrs.

well advance purchase of Seaworld/Busch Gardens combo tickets and Universal/Islands of Adventure 2-Park Unlimited Admission Ticket will set you back roughly $170. $170 for four parks for 7 successive days ain't bad and a free bus to tampa (to busch gardens) and free in to all the clubs and pubs on universals city walk
    http://commerce.4adventure.com/eStore/scripts/skins/swf/ticketsmultidaySWBG.aspx

http://www.universalorlando.com/tickets.html
    Think I was looking at this at one stage alright. Another $170 on top of $220 (as I can't avoid the Magic Kingdom etc.) though works out at about €250. Mad money really!
    seaworld, busch gardens and islands of adventure are must dos in orlando, islands has consistently been ranked as second best park in the world, spiderman, duelling dragons, hulk, popeye and dudley do right murder nearly all the disney rides, sitting front row on sheikra in busch gardens is an experience and a half, its a billion times better if you don't hold on to the bar as i found out second time round :)
    Never heard of 'Islands Of Adventure' but sounds great alright.

Friend of my mother said Universal Studios is the best of the bunch she visited... that's what I'm most pumped about (as a big film fan).
    Disney is a long way from Wet and Wild so keep that in mind, Magic Kingdom is 20 miles away and i believe Epcot is the closest some 13-14 miles away.
    That is a good distance.. buses are probably quite reasonable though, right? And i'm sure there's one leaving every 20 minutes or so.
    easter (spring break), christmas/new year, labour day and weekend and fourth of july weekend are peak periods in orlando. the weather will also affect crowds. We rode the water rides last time out in islands of adventure on an overcast day about 19C, we were the only ones riding them, they even let us stay on :D
    I'd imagine Spring Break would be mad alright. I'm hoping for a few overcast days.. if just to salvage my poor delicate Oirish skin - as I don't tan, I just crisp!
    in that mall i linked there is a place called Bass Pro Shops, its probably the greatest store in the world for guys, if you like guns, fishing, camping, hunting, sports, BBQs you will love this place, they have tents bigger than Irish houses http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Shop_10151_-1_10001
    Not my bag.. but looks cool nonetheless.
    BJJDUB wrote: »
    For shopping go to the Prime One Mall (formerly known as The Belz Mall) on the northern most point on I-Drive (just past the Festival Bay Mall).

Also try the Premium Outlet Mall which is several miles further south on I-Drive.

If you are not driving, the I-Drive Trolley will bring you to and from both Malls.

Bahama Breeze is okay - it is a Caribbean themed bar / restaurant.

There are numerous new restaurants located at the Wonderworks attraction (the I-Drive Trolley will bring you here also) which is located south on I-Drive which are worth a visit. Actually, there are restaurants all over I-Drive as a previous post pointed out.

Try to get to a Superwalmart if you are looking for value for money shopping. The nearest one to your hotel is located on the corner of John Young Parkway and Sand Lake Road. If you are driving its easy to get to and its open 24 hrs.
    Cheers BJJDUB but you're giving the other half a bit too much options in your post.. we'll keep this post between ourselves!

I've told her there's no malls in Orlando.. and that there's no point even looking for any! :D

Won't be driving anywhere as i'm just under the minimum age (25) to rent-a-car. Shame! :(

And cheers for the restaurant recommendations.

One more question.. is it worth e-mailing my hotel asking have they any special deals for tickets to theme parks? Not likely really, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

The Disney hopper passes are good tickets to get as you can go from park to park within the one day. The ticket never expires either in that you can use it for 3 days on your holiday and use your remaining two days in ten years time if that's when you're back.
    As people have said you can get bundle deals where you get access to say Universal and Sea World. Shop around for them though and try to avoid pokey souvenir shops as they'd be pricey.
    There are tons of restaurants all along International drive. I like Tony Romas (the ribs are gorgeous) and TGI Fridays.

basquille wrote: »

Never heard of 'Islands Of Adventure' but sounds great alright.

Friend of my mother said Universal Studios is the best of the bunch she visited... that's what I'm most pumped about (as a big film fan).

islands is part of universal except they are two parks, its like a few hundred yards from one park to the other through universals city walk. universal is ok, many of the rides are outdated now though, the likes of ET which should have been closed years ago imo. The best universal studios is in LA where they actually film the movies and take you around to the backlot to see the sets of past classics like Jaws, king kong, war of the worlds, psycho, the mummy, terminator etc, nothing like that in Orlando :(

if you like rollercoasters and other high-powered rides, islands of adventure and busch gardens are worth every penny. Busch gardens is a giant zoo with its own safari adventure where you get to feed zebras, giraffes and other animals up close, it also happens to have some of the best rollercoasters in the world too :)

a sample of islands of adventure and busch gardens coasters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT0981dRxxM
    That is a good distance.. buses are probably quite reasonable though, right? And i'm sure there's one leaving every 20 minutes or so.

Lynx and I-Trolley are the public bus services serving I-Drive. I-Trolley doesn't go as far as disney but it serves Seaworld and the malls. I-Trolley costs $1 per ride and they do day passes as well http://www.iridetrolley.com/

Lynx is a much more comprehensive service and does serve disney but not direct from Wet and Wild, you have to change at Seaworld, lynx costs $1.75 per ride Route 50 goes from close to Seaworld to Disney http://www.golynx.com/index.cfm?fuse=cstm&app=route&view=sched&cid=50

More than likely your hotel will offer a shuttle bus to disney/universal/seaworld, some hotels charge for this service especially the disney shuttle, some don't

Another thing Disney is massive, the 6 parks and downtown cover an area bigger Dublin city, about 120 km² or 30,000 acres :eek:
    One more question.. is it worth e-mailing my hotel asking have they any special deals for tickets to theme parks? Not likely really, is it?

once you walk in the door of your hotel you will see the deals don't worry ;) There will stand in the lobby, the tickets come with a catch, you must sit through a 3 hour timeshare presentation with people trying their best to make you buy a week in their condo. If you have seen that episode of southpark set in aspen you know the score :mad: Having done it i would recommend everyone to steer clear its not worth your time even if you get the tickets for half price; unless you tell the guy/girl at the start and over and over again "I am not interested in buying just give me my tickets now" :) Time share booths are located all over I-Drive, if you see a sign for half price tickets or heavily discounted tickets in restaurants or outside a store chances are its a time-share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

i think everyone has covered everythin in the previous replies but ill throw in my tuppence worth.

firtsly, i think seaworld is the best park in orlando. the only ones i havent been to in florida are islands of adventure and busch gardens which i hear is amazing.

most hotels near wet'n'wild have buses going to the theme parks, just make sure u can get one back in the evening. for travelling up and down i-drive the buses are grand and u can buy a pass for a few days that isnt too costly.

finally as regards restaurants, theyre are loads. id recommend eating a large breakfast, bring snacks to the park and then eating dinner in the evening cos food in the parks is rediculously expensive. there is a steakhouse just across from wet'n'wild that does a fantrastic buffet breakfast that isnt dear at all!

hope this was of some help

Thanks again all for your responses.. all extremely helpful!
    The Disney hopper passes are good tickets to get as you can go from park to park within the one day. The ticket never expires either in that you can use it for 3 days on your holiday and use your remaining two days in ten years time if that's when you're back.
    As people have said you can get bundle deals where you get access to say Universal and Sea World. Shop around for them though and try to avoid pokey souvenir shops as they'd be pricey.
    Was looking at the Park Hopper passes on UndercoverTourist.com but works out at about $45 more for the Park Hopper (than the standard Magic Your Way ticket - 1 park per day) and I don't think I'd do more than one park in a day. Would it be possible and should I pay extra for the Park Hopper?
    There are tons of restaurants all along International drive. I like Tony Romas (the ribs are gorgeous) and TGI Fridays.
    Big TGI Friday fan myself.. was there in Madrid last Summer and absolutely great food (massive portions and very tasty) - got served a bowl of onion rings larger than my head! :D Must try and dig out that photo!
    islands is part of universal except they are two parks, its like a few hundred yards from one park to the other through universals city walk. universal is ok, many of the rides are outdated now though, the likes of ET which should have been closed years ago imo. The best universal studios is in LA where they actually film the movies and take you around to the backlot to see the sets of past classics like Jaws, king kong, war of the worlds, psycho, the mummy, terminator etc, nothing like that in Orlando :(
    What's in Universal Studios in Orlando then? Would it be worth it? I'm sure there's a certain amount of movie tie-in's but the one in Hollywood sounds fantastic alright.
    if you like rollercoasters and other high-powered rides, islands of adventure and busch gardens are worth every penny. Busch gardens is a giant zoo with its own safari adventure where you get to feed zebras, giraffes and other animals up close, it also happens to have some of the best rollercoasters in the world too :)

a sample of islands of adventure and busch gardens coasters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT0981dRxxM
    Cheers.. I love roller coasters indeed. Was at Warner Bros Park in Madrid (which was excellent) and enjoyed every minute. Went on practically every ride there - couple of great rollercoasters!
    Lynx and I-Trolley are the public bus services serving I-Drive. I-Trolley doesn't go as far as disney but it serves Seaworld and the malls. I-Trolley costs $1 per ride and they do day passes as well http://www.iridetrolley.com/

Lynx is a much more comprehensive service and does serve disney but not direct from Wet and Wild, you have to change at Seaworld, lynx costs $1.75 per ride Route 50 goes from close to Seaworld to Disney http://www.golynx.com/index.cfm?fuse=cstm&app=route&view=sched&cid=50

More than likely your hotel will offer a shuttle bus to disney/universal/seaworld, some hotels charge for this service especially the disney shuttle, some don't
    Will look into it... the hotel's site don't mention any shuttles or anything. They just mention distances to the local attractions (Universal is close anyways! :D)
    Another thing Disney is massive, the 6 parks and downtown cover an area bigger Dublin city, about 120 km² or 30,000 acres :eek:
    That is huge. But with less Burberry than Dublin city I'd imagine! :D
    once you walk in the door of your hotel you will see the deals don't worry ;) There will stand in the lobby, the tickets come with a catch, you must sit through a 3 hour timeshare presentation with people trying their best to make you buy a week in their condo. If you have seen that episode of southpark set in aspen you know the score :mad: Having done it i would recommend everyone to steer clear its not worth your time even if you get the tickets for half price; unless you tell the guy/girl at the start and over and over again "I am not interested in buying just give me my tickets now" :) Time share booths are located all over I-Drive, if you see a sign for half price tickets or heavily discounted tickets in restaurants or outside a store chances are its a time-share.
    The girlfriends parents also did this also.. and were telling me about it saying it's not worth your time at all also.

I don't think I could take it to be honest. I'll pay the ticket prices rather than listen to someone drone on for 3 hours. I get that at home! :D
    jph100 wrote: »
    i think everyone has covered everythin in the previous replies but ill throw in my tuppence worth.

finally as regards restaurants, theyre are loads. id recommend eating a large breakfast, bring snacks to the park and then eating dinner in the evening cos food in the parks is rediculously expensive. there is a steakhouse just across from wet'n'wild that does a fantrastic buffet breakfast that isnt dear at all!

hope this was of some help
    Cheers jph100. Yep, my plan is to eat a large breakfast in the morning as I'd like to avoid eating in the theme parks as much as I can.

Was chatting to someone my company does work for out in Florida and mentioned I was going. She recommended The Kennedy Space Center - it's about 45 minutes away but I would miss the next launch by about a week (one on May 31st! :(). Any been there and recommend it?

Oh.. and with regards to drinking in bars, the legal age is 21. I am 24 but I look VERY young. What would be the best form of ID (besides passport) as I don't fancy carrying this around with me? I've an Irish provisional license but I don't imagine they'd be too trusting of it. Also.. you don't pay for drinks as they're served to you, correct? You make up a tab and pay it when you're leaving and add in a $1 tip per drink - am I right in these presumptions?

universal is worth it but islands of adventure is a better park imo, but i wouldn't buy a one day ticket to islands for $60 or whatever when you can get the two parks combined ticket for one week for $79

in terms of whats in each park

Universal Orlando

Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast - good ride, disneyesque, fun few minutes

Shrek 4-D - excellent 3D short movie taking place shortly after the first movie, i won't give away the cool bits and there are a few

Revenge of the Mummy - dark indoor rollercoaster, excellent ride if a little on the short size, few surprises here too

Twister - this is ok, you may like it, you may hate it, personally i liked it better second time around, get up to the front and its quite a rush

Beetlejuice's Rock and Roll Graveyard Revue - lame, bettlejuice, wolfman, dracula sing rock songs, don't bother wasting your time with this rubbish

Disaster - ok if you have time, skip it if not, nothing to write home about

Jaws - get on board a boat around the harbour and battle jaws, depending on where you sit you might get soaked

Fear Factor - just like the TV show but on stage

Men in Black - i hate this, go around shooting alien targets with a fake laser gun, truly truly awful rubbish.

The Simpsons Ride - opening in May so havent been on, looks good though, will be indoor

E.T. Adventure - they should removed this ride about 10 years, so outdated its not funny, really bad, don't waste your time with this either

Universal's Horror Make-Up Show - very funny stage show, one of my favourite things in universal

Terminator 2: 3-D - a mix of live and 3D action, its starting to show its age a bit but its still an great show

Islands of Adventure

Incredible Hulk Coaster - high speed rollercoaster that goes from 0-40mph in something like 2 seconds

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man, a 3-D simulator ride, possibly the best ride in the world, there is nothing like this anywhere, disney can only dream have having something as good as this

Storm force - lame teacups ride

Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls - highest log flume in america i believe, amazing water based ride, you will get soaked, murders disney splash mountain in every sense

Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges - another truly incredible water ride, this is so much, a river rapid ride like no other, like dudley do-right this has themeing that will make you cry its that good. Again you will get soaked.

Jurassic Park River Adventure - river based ride in a boat through jurassic park with a huge drop at the end, great ride

Dueling Dragons - duelling inverted roastercoasters (fire and ice) that come within 18 inches of each other 3 times during the ride. Fantastic rollercoaster and you must ride both fire and ice as they are different rides

Poseidon's Fury - an indoor special effects show

The Cat in the Hat - an indoor disneyesque ride

Doctor Doom's Fearfall - a spaceshot ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

I'm heading to Orlando with the family in June as well. Love the advice above. One further thing I would like to know. The water parks have that you should wear "water shoes" because the ground can get hot. I am presuming that this is something like flip flops or jelly shoes or are they talking about something else altogether?

Sorry for the minor hijack.

Advertisement