Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DIT Culinary Arts

Options
  • 09-11-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Im in 6th year and I think I'd Like to do a Culinary Arts degree in Cathal Brugha street. If anyone could tell me how much practical work is involved in the course, what type of internships were available or how good they found the course in general it would be great :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm in first year now. At the moment we only have two practical classes a week, 4 hours of Kitchen and Larder and 4 hours of Pastry. After Christmas we only have one practical a week and don't have any pastry so we will only have 4 hours a week.

There's a lot of theory classes and work involved in the course, I was really surprised at how much we've been given.

If you have an interest in cooking you'll find most of the work interesting, but it's by no means a doss course. Four or five people have dropped out already due to the workload. That said I'm loving it at the moment.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

I'm having a look at the module listing on the website now and it seems as if it'll get slightly more practical after year 1, I know I'd be interested in the theory but I'd like to get enough practical experience to become a competent chef also.
    Do you know when/if there's an open day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I'm in first year now. At the moment we only have two practical classes a week, 4 hours of Kitchen and Larder and 4 hours of Pastry. After Christmas we only have one practical a week and don't have any pastry so we will only have 4 hours a week.

There's a lot of theory classes and work involved in the course, I was really surprised at how much we've been given.

If you have an interest in cooking you'll find most of the work interesting, but it's by no means a doss course. Four or five people have dropped out already due to the workload. That said I'm loving it at the moment.

crikey pidg i am/was/will be (got v v ill so had to defer place til next yr, but was in class for a month) a culinary arts student in it tallaght, doing two year first then gonna go for the degree, and our was like all practical and half a dozen theory classes per week (hence me missing for so long resulted in deferral, catching up wasn't an option). we were in from 8am on a monday, til 8pm tue, 9pm wed etc and tons of practicals. mad how yours is so different

hdowney wrote: »
    crikey pidg i am/was/will be (got v v ill so had to defer place til next yr, but was in class for a month) a culinary arts student in it tallaght, doing two year first then gonna go for the degree, and our was like all practical and half a dozen theory classes per week (hence me missing for so long resulted in deferral, catching up wasn't an option). we were in from 8am on a monday, til 8pm tue, 9pm wed etc and tons of practicals. mad how yours is so different

I think thats similar to the Professional Cookery course in DIT, It's a 2 year level 6 course which is alot more practical. I've been thinking about this course also as once your finished you can go on to the degree.

I think it's because we're the degree we have to do more theory and research. This semester we're doing food & beverage studies, food safety, gastronomy, a language and our practicals. All the classes are at least 2 hours each, most are three. We've Friday's off which is handy enough, but you need it to do assignments.

From what I know the two year is a lot more practical based than the degree.

• Advertisement

Duffman K wrote: »
    I think thats similar to the Professional Cookery course in DIT, It's a 2 year level 6 course which is alot more practical. I've been thinking about this course also as once your finished you can go on to the degree.

yea that is what i wanna do, go on afterward and do the degree, but i know that if i decide not to i have a qualification to go out and get myself a decent job and work my way up the ranks in kitchens with good classical background behind me.

I think it's because we're the degree we have to do more theory and research. This semester we're doing food & beverage studies, food safety, gastronomy, a language and our practicals. All the classes are at least 2 hours each, most are three. We've Friday's off which is handy enough, but you need it to do assignments.

From what I know the two year is a lot more practical based than the degree.

one major rage for me about the it tallaght one is no language offered.

my semester one had food safety and culinary science, it, learning to learn!!!! culinary skills, larder, pastry, restuarant service and work exp every friday/ very long days.

one major rage for me about the it tallaght one is no language offered.

my semester one had food safety and culinary science, it, learning to learn!!!! culinary skills, larder, pastry, restuarant service and work exp every friday/ very long days.

We don't have any work experience yet, in the summer we've to do 12 weeks placement I think. Then after third year we do an international placement.

I don't mind too much about lack of practicals though, I'm doing training in a kitchen at the moment too so I've plenty there!

We don't have any work experience yet, in the summer we've to do 12 weeks placement I think. Then after third year we do an international placement.

I don't mind too much about lack of practicals though, I'm doing training in a kitchen at the moment too so I've plenty there!

i miss it terribly. can't wait for next year. yea we do work exp all year, and possibly during the summer i am not sure yet

any word about an open day this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 FionnTheBun

Hi guys can anyone give me some information about the Culinary Arts (Professional Culinary Practice) its Duration of programme: 2 years Type of programme: Higher Certificate

I've applied for this course for September I haven't got much or any experience in Culinary Arts but I am very interested in this line of work , I have a question if anyone could answer these I'd be greatful

Would this course suit someone with hardly any experience in this line or work or would this course be to much for someone with no experience

I'm doing the degree course, as far as I know the modules of the certificate course are pretty similar to ours. In first year anyway, everything goes from scratch in the practical classes!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 FionnTheBun

Really appreciate the response just to be sure I've sent an email off to just make sure thank you very much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 agaetisbyrjun

As arts courses go, this one certainly ain't easy. It's a really diverse course, it not just about the cooking side of things. But if you're interested in the whole package, then this shold be the course for you. I'm in my third year now, and I love it :)

As internships go, you do a 4-5 week national internship at the end of 1st and 2nd year and a 12 week, partially funded international intership at the end of third year (I'm currently sussing out some restaurants in Britain - eep! :P). Lecturers are really helpful about getting you a good place :)

Hope I've helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

Hey man, are you in fourth year now or have you graduated? I am just wondering whats life like after the course ?

I left after second year and took my certificate. I'm currently working in one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants in London so good fire me. The course didn't have enough practical classes for me, only four hours a week in the kitchen the rest is all theory. It's really a course where you get what you put into it. If you want to be a chef a certificate is more than enough IMO also definitely try and get kitchen work part time while studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

I left after second year and took my certificate. I'm currently working in one of Gordon Ramsay's restaurants in London so good fire me. The course didn't have enough practical classes for me, only four hours a week in the kitchen the rest is all theory. It's really a course where you get what you put into it. If you want to be a chef a certificate is more than enough IMO also definitely try and get kitchen work part time while studying.

Oh wow thats class man fare play to you... :) how do you find being a Chef most people I talk to complain about hours and repitition I want to be a Chef but do not hear enough positive things about it at the moment. Maybe you could enlighten me please :)

Picasso711 wrote: »
    Oh wow thats class man fare play to you... :) how do you find being a Chef most people I talk to complain about hours and repitition I want to be a Chef but do not hear enough positive things about it at the moment. Maybe you could enlighten me please :)

I love it, I wouldn't do anything else. I work about 60 hours a week at the moment, but you get used to that. Honestly you need to be passionate about it otherwise you won't like it, it's long hard work but I've learned so much, made great friends and enjoy everyday. I love the adrenaline rush of a good service, coming up with new ideas and people enjoying my food. It can suck at the start when you're prepping veg all day but I think it's worth it. I'd rather work crap hours and love my job than live for the weekend and be miserable in work.

Also I'm one of those rare female chefs btw ;)

Advertisement