Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Less 'thoughts and prayers' and more dealing with the actual problem. :mad:

That whole 'my prayers are with you' crap drives me spare - maybe it's me but I always hear a '...but shure what can you do...*helpless shake of the head*' - make damn sure bullies are f*cking punished would be a good start!

It's like when people discuss gay couples adopting - can't have that as the child will be bullied - sweetest f*ck how is that an acceptable reason by any stretch of the imagination????

:mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm kinda with the "there's a time and a place" comments, though I can't your original post, Liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Dades wrote: »
    I'm kinda with the "there's a time and a place" comments, though I can't your original post, Liam.

Seems to have been deleted. Censorship at it best. Nothing I said was offensive.

Just to further clarify my deleted comment-

I agree that there is a time and a place. I took offence to the original comment "...god love them all."; as if god has some plan or something. He wanted them to die as part of this plan. So, I feel that this wasn't a time and place for him to talk about their god. Obviously, it's ok for him to do it and not ok for me to take exception to it.

I've no problem with people saying they'll pray for them. I felt he went too far down the road and if it was my children, I would have taken offence to the remark (even though he probably saw it as being harmless).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I actually have a cough and would murder a fisherman's friend.
    My friend is a fisherman.

#GoesIntoHidingFromDades

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You're all safe... I got my fix. :pac:

photo_Small_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You're all safe... I got my fix. :pac:

http://omg.wthax.org/photo_Small_3.jpg

Dades uses Chrome!!!! Dades is now awesome. :D

Jernal wrote: »

Doesn't everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I use Firefox on my uni's PCs. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Jernal wrote: »

I'm more concerned about that low resolution screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Answer that damn PM, Dades!

Sarky wrote: »
    Answer that damn PM, Dades!

It might be just be new post in a thread he's subscribed to. :p
    Also, his perfectly manicured thumb has blown away my stereotypical impression of mods. Mind absolutely blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

More importantly, how can you be a mod and not have moved to 40 posts a page?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,810 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Liamario wrote: »
    I've no problem with people saying they'll pray for them. I felt he went too far down the road and if it was my children, I would have taken offence to the remark (even though he probably saw it as being harmless).

Just a figure of Irish speech tbh, 'ah god love them', 'god bless' etc.
    It's no coincidence that Hiberno-English uses phrases like this when 'Dia duit' is hello in Irish...
    Yeah it rankles with me but I'm not going to give out to people I know (and know how they'll take it) over that, never mind strangers. I think you're reading way more into their comment than they intended tbh.

Life ain't always empty.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Doesn't everyone?

People who value their online privacy certainly shouldn't use Chrome.

I use Opera and lock it down as far as possible :p

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    People who value their online privacy certainly shouldn't use Chrome.

I use Opera and lock it down as far as possible :p

If anyone wants to view my reams of historical minutia (hmmmm - who was the sheriff of Mayo in 1586? Let's look that up!*) , and orders for kindle books they are welcome but they would be better off getting a life. ;)

* George Bingham ancestor of 'Lucky' Lucan :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

On the one hand, "God love them" is kind of just a saying, the poster may not have put that much religious thought on it.
    On the other hand though, its the comment section on a newspaper website, populated by people who probably don't personally know the family in question, so I don't see how it wouldn't be an appropriate time or place to bring it up. Its not like he said it to the family while they are mourning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

ShooterSF wrote: »
    More importantly, how can you be a mod and not have moved to 40 posts a page?!

…how can you tell that from that screenshot?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

…how can you tell that from that screenshot?

It says on the bottom of the page displayed that there are 221 pages in total for this thread (at the time it was print screened). It would be 83 if 40 posts per page was the setting used.

It says on the bottom of the page displayed that there are 221 pages in total for this thread (at the time it was print screened). It would be 83 if 40 posts per page was the setting used.

I love this forum.

That is all.

• Advertisement

Maybe we should start a 'Pics of A&A posters holding random objects in front of their screen while browsing A&A' thread :)

... thought the 40 post thing was obvious, but maybe that was just me :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

Maybe we should start a 'Pics of A&A posters holding random objects in front of their screen while browsing A&A' thread :)

An A&A original meme? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Oh right, I misread the post - for some reason I thought it said "moved to 40 posts a day". I think I must be tired…

Well there I was on yet another typical boring godless night, with no point to my amoral existence, rabidly slavering on how to oppress theists as I normally do, with the oul' 'militant secularism' they're just defenceless to!. And then someone, some kind soul er, I mean, fellow revolutionary comrade, re-educated me and provided me with the answer.

We must post as many pictures of our godlessness on t'internet as possible! So here we go. They cannot resist the power of what our non-lord and master Dades has begun!

Behold the power of my recently acquired in the 2 euro shop, SDHC reader! It was a godsend lucky find :)

232688.JPG

Life ain't always empty.

Well there I was on yet another typical boring godless night, with no point to my amoral existence, rabidly slavering on how to oppress theists as I normally do, with the oul' 'militant secularism' they're just defenceless to!. And then someone, some kind soul er, I mean, fellow revolutionary comrade, re-educated me and provided me with the answer.

We must post as many pictures of our godlessness on t'internet as possible! So here we go. They cannot resist the power of what our non-lord and master Dades has begun!

Behold the power of my recently acquired in the 2 euro shop, SDHC reader! It was a godsend lucky find :)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/36890/232688.JPG

Either I'm now a Ninja (:cool:) or s/he's amputated someone's hand.:eek:

Fear not Jernal, the 'Ninja' refers to a Kawasaki Heavy Industries product. Could be anything from a paperclip to a nuclear reactor though :D

Life ain't always empty.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    If anyone wants to view my reams of historical minutia (hmmmm - who was the sheriff of Mayo in 1586? Let's look that up!*) , and orders for kindle books they are welcome but they would be better off getting a life. ;)

Ah c'mon Banna, it doesn't take a vivid imagination to conjure up a situation where one would rather one's search terms/browser history/etc. would rather remain private!

Such as buying a present :)

Life ain't always empty.

I give you ZEE KAPTEIN'S MUG

Um, kinda big. cba resizing, I'm pretty drunk right now from a work shindig where I won two bottles of wine in a raffle...

Oooh, dark theme - you're one of those.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

You mean the higher class of Boards users? Why yes I am!

Advertisement