Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beers,Saturday February 18th,Cassidys Westmoreland Street,All Welcome

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

could you not have raised all these objections in the very long time period that we were asking him to book

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Excuse me, but how the **** is that vague???? Simple question.

Your question was not vague, it was very simple and straight forward asking if it is wheelchair accessible and there is no problem with that question.

However your attendance depending upon that question you never made clear, it does take ages to organise these events to try to cater to as many people as possible, picking the date normally takes a week or two and then same again for the venue before the organiser takes time out of their personal life to go to the bother of arranging the booking with the selected venues.

It's not like Otis wants to intentionally exclude people it's just very hard to go back to the start and reorganise everything all over again, especially considering there are a couple of people who have already booked rooms in hostels/hotels based upon it being in Cassidy's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

This is going around in circles.MM made no mention of possibly going until after the place had been picked,that is the fact of the matter.

It's two weeks away and it has been booked and will remain booked.

Its a pity that it isn't accessible for one poster and at the next one,if its made clear that anyone wants to go that has mobility issues before some where is chosen and booked,then absolutely we can try and find somewhere that suits but that will involve going to pubs to check each one individually something that isn't feasible this time around as it is two weeks away and there will likely be a big crowd.

End of story.

Pembily wrote: »
    Your original post, that is vague, very vague, if you had said it more clearly then Otis might have been able to do something about it. Your next request is the exact same.

I expect a barrage of abuse for the above but while Otis suggested the beers and has organised the venue, it's not his paid or non paid job to do it and there are lots of others here who could have checked it out!

It may not be, but the fact that he is responsible for the organisation of the event in the venue, the least he could do is make a phone call? :confused:

Check back a few pages,I TRIED to ring them but their number is not connected.I had to physically go in to book it and didnt get a chance til yesterday to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭niamhx

MM I'm sorry this hasn't worked out for you, but surely if you really wanted to go, a pm to Otis would have been in order to explain your mobility problems in advance ? He couldn't/shouldn't have had to know what your needs are unless you explained them. I think you'd know yourself what pubs in Dublin cater for wheelchair access. I certainly know the pubs/clubs I don't like !

Again I'm sorry your missing out :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

This is going around in circles.MM made no mention of possibly going until after the place had been picked,that is the fact of the matter.

It's two weeks away and it has been booked and will remain booked.

Its a pity that it isn't accessible for one poster and at the next one,if its made clear that anyone wants to go that has mobility issues before some where is chosen and booked,then absolutely we can try and find somewhere that suits but that will involve going to pubs to check each one individually something that isn't feasible this time around as it is two weeks away and there will likely be a big crowd.

End of story.

Not everyone will read threads every day to know when a venue is decided upon. In all likelihood, plenty of people have decided to go since the venue was picked. And that is obviously fair enough - I don't think anyone would have any question or problem with that. It's only fair.

It's a shame in this case that it means someone will actually miss out.

Have to say, I took wheelchair accessible to mean what it said on the tin, hence the recommendations. You learn something new every day - thanks to those that clarified it.

The thread title was changed on the day we decided on Cassidys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Mental Mickey, I know this may not be PC, or may be impractical/ embarrassing for you, but I'm going to the meetup, I don't drink, and I've a strong back if being lifted up or down a stairs is an issue. I obviously don't know you, but if you think this is of any help, or even possible, then just let me know. I'll be there all night, and as I said, because I don't drink, I'll still be sober enough to safely help later on in the night

Just wondering as I'm writing this if the bar would allow it. You'd probably know yourself from experience.

Btw, I appreciate how difficult organising this is for Otis. We appreciate it man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

The thread title was changed on the day we decided on Cassidys.

Plenty of people will have found out the meet was on after the decison was made. Lots of people won't be checking in to this forum all the time.

The actual venue is of little consequence to most, ie, a pub in Dublin is a pub in Dublin. I think anyone that decided to go would be going to meet other people on here and not for what pub it is. It really is of little importance, unless of course their are restrictions, as we now know.

I was not aware how few places there were for people in wheelchairs. I have not seen this sort of situation ever arise on boards in the time I have been posting, so yes, it is a real shame someone will miss out.

Nice suggestion there, johnr1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Won't be making this one unfortunately, Li'l Ms G.C. is working the weekend, so i'd doubt very much she'll be in the form to go out...

Next time hopefully!!

And reading the last few pages, (and as someone who has organised a couple of stag night/weekends etc) people don't realise what a royal pain in the arse organising these things are, especially for no thanks or reward.

MM, next time be a bit more forward, d as niamhx suggested, send a PM to the organiser.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

It may not be, but the fact that he is responsible for the organisation of the event in the venue, the least he could do is make a phone call? :confused:

But the thing is he's not responsible. He suggested beers and offered to book the venue. It is something that Otis does in his own free time for little or no reward and he shouldn't be made feel bad about something that came up AFTER the venue was decided.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    could you not have raised all these objections in the very long time period that we were asking him to book

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

See Otis, shudda booked earlier! :pac: (Joking!)

Okay, so I don't want to drag this out. Few things went a bit wrong.

If I remember right, MM said he might go. And someone checked online to see if pub was wheelchair friendly - website said it was. Otis goes to book and it isn't. I had a look at a thread on boards here and there isn't that many wheelchair accessible/friendly bars in Dublin at all which is terrible imo. I guess this late in the day it is a bit difficult to change this.

I apologise to you, Otis as I thought it would be easy to change to a more suitable venue but it doesn't seem likely.
    johnr1 wrote: »
    Mental Mickey, I know this may not be PC, or may be impractical/ embarrassing for you, but I'm going to the meetup, I don't drink, and I've a strong back if being lifted up or down a stairs is an issue. I obviously don't know you, but if you think this is of any help, or even possible, then just let me know. I'll be there all night, and as I said, because I don't drink, I'll still be sober enough to safely help later on in the night

Just wondering as I'm writing this if the bar would allow it. You'd probably know yourself from experience.

This will be a Health & Safety and Fire issue so it cannot be done.

MM, I think everyone here as learned the difficulties you face when out soclising regarding access. I didn't realise it would be so difficult myself. No-one I know from this forum would purposely exclude somebody from a social event. As it stands it looks like it'll have to be another beers (which is never too far away). Maybe make some suggestions for venues yourself so we have an idea what is suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

gatecrash wrote: »
    Won't be making this one unfortunately, Li'l Ms G.C. is working the weekend, so i'd doubt very much she'll be in the form to go out....

Under the thumb already! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Larianne wrote: »
    gatecrash wrote: »
    Won't be making this one unfortunately, Li'l Ms G.C. is working the weekend, so i'd doubt very much she'll be in the form to go out....

Come on, I've never met Ms B.C., so she won't be missed :)
    I'm about 80% sure you won't wake in an alley with no memories and an awfully sore arse, so come along and meet the weirdos from the internet :D
    (although I thought I heard pembily asking about strap ons in another thread, so watch out for her) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I'm about 80% sure you won't wake in an alley with no memories and an awfully sore arse, so come along and meet the weirdos from the internet :D
    (although I thought I heard pembily asking about strap ons in another thread, so watch out for her) :D

He has met some of us (the important ones) before!!! :cool:

Seriously - what??:eek: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

error3rror128549826142168226.jpg

You better have a damn good reason Tuddle.

Reason: I'm a crazy cat lady

O.o

o.O

o.o

O.O
    hdowney wrote: »
    oi tuddle. WHY????? thought we was gonna whip all they asses at kings?????

Course I'm still gonna crack the whip at the Kings game....well that's if we get enough people for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

He has met some of us (the important ones) before!!! :cool:

Seriously - what??:eek: :confused:
    Sorry, did I let your secret out?

:D:D:D

Strap ons :confused: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭2 Miles From Narnia

Since I started organising tGC beers I have tried to be as accommodating as is possible to everyone so I dont appreciate snarky comments and roll eyes from people.

I did come across as being a bit sarky, so apologies. I was just thinking along the lines of 'if it was me who wasn't able to go, how would I feel?'. But I appreciate that it is a lot of work to organise a big event and that it's difficult to suit everyone, so again apologies for the tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Not everyone will read threads every day to know when a venue is decided upon. In all likelihood, plenty of people have decided to go since the venue was picked. And that is obviously fair enough - I don't think anyone would have any question or problem with that. It's only fair.

It's a shame in this case that it means someone will actually miss out.

Have to say, I took wheelchair accessible to mean what it said on the tin, hence the recommendations. You learn something new every day - thanks to those that clarified it.

Plenty of people will have found out the meet was on after the decison was made. Lots of people won't be checking in to this forum all the time.

The actual venue is of little consequence to most, ie, a pub in Dublin is a pub in Dublin. I think anyone that decided to go would be going to meet other people on here and not for what pub it is. It really is of little importance, unless of course their are restrictions, as we now know.

I was not aware how few places there were for people in wheelchairs. I have not seen this sort of situation ever arise on boards in the time I have been posting, so yes, it is a real shame someone will miss out.

Nice suggestion there, johnr1.

i feel awful someone will have to miss out, however i do have to say one thing. i came upon this forum after the date and location had been decided (blind as a bat is my excuse) and whilst i understand that mm's situation is completely different from me, i don't believe that once a venue etc has been picked i have much say in the matter. i know from previous beers that it is never a snap decision, there is always plenty of discussion on the matter before a venue etc is settled on, with peoples opinions/issues taken into account.

my suggestion would be that once another beers is muted a mod or someone pm mm and inform him a thread has been created discussing a beers, so that we can properly accomodate him from the start?
    ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Reason: I'm a crazy cat lady

O.o

o.O

o.o

O.O

Course I'm still gonna crack the whip at the Kings game....well that's if we get enough people for it!

good woman tuds. we kick they asses

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Strap ons :confused: :eek:

Wait... why are we only hearing of this now? :confused:

Cause it's lies! I have no idea where it came from :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Cause it's lies! I have no idea where it came from :eek:

Lies? :(

I am lost...

I am lost...

Haha, was just joking that my hopes were all built up, but dashed before i had a chance :p

Haha, was just joking that my hopes were all built up, but dashed before i had a chance :p

God I am so blonde :o

God I am so blonde :o

Not toooooooo blonde though ;)

I don'y even want to know the meaning!

I don'y even want to know the meaning!

Well that'll be a discussion for another thread...

"How blonde is too blonde?"

Could be quite the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Larianne wrote: »

PFFFFT!!!

I Say PFFFT and Piffle to that Lari!!!

I do what i want. When i want

isn't that right sweety!! :)

Advertisement