Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Macbook should I go for? (Photoshop needs)

Options
  • 07-01-2015 6:15pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi folks, been thinking about buying a Macbook for last few weeks and finally going to bite the bullet. The thing is that I’m unsure about which one if best for my needs.
    I plan to use it mainly for the usual activities : Web, Netflix, watching TV, music and also more work stuff like Dreamweaver, Photoshop and (hopefully) Final Cut Pro.

Budget is around €1000-€1100. I’m wondering if I should go with a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro?

Macbook Pro: http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/apple-macbook-pro-13/311159/302
    Macbook Air: http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/apple-macbook-air-133/325288/302

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭harrymagina

I wouldnt buy either of them. Specs are fairly horrible and adobe software will be a nightmare to use on them. Very overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

For professional purposes (Adobe Suite, Final Cut Pro, etc.) I would go for the MacBook Pro tbh. But for that price-range I would go an extra couple hundred euro and get the MacBook Pro from the Apple Store. It has Retina Display, more RAM and a much faster SSD and processor.

13-inch: 2.6GHz
    with Retina display
    2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Intel Iris Graphics
    Built-in battery

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I've used both the Air and Pro for the tasks you describe, and currently run the spec that Passenger has listed above (I upgraded to 16Gb RAM), and I don't have any problems. This is in stark contrast to the Macbook Air, which, although it ran Photoshop and FCP, took forever to render anything, and you'll spend a lot of time looking at a beachball for anything more than casual image editing.

Don't get me wrong, the Macbook Air is a fine machine for certain tasks, it's just not built for the heavy duty work you are looking for from it. Macbook Pro Retina, if you can afford it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Thanks for the replies.

Any idea what the cheapest would be, if I was willing to add an extra €100-€200?

Maybe I overstated my desire for Final Cup Pro....I'll probably use Photoshop and the likes of Final Cup Pro for casual use as I'm trying to improve my skills with this software.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Worth checking out the education store or the refurb store for a MacBook Pro. Some decent discounts there.

• Advertisement

thebison wrote: »
    Any idea what the cheapest would be, if I was willing to add an extra €100-€200?

The cheapest is the one I recommended. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

thebison wrote: »
    Maybe I overstated my desire for Final Cup Pro....I'll probably use Photoshop and the likes of Final Cup Pro for casual use as I'm trying to improve my skills with this software.
    I've a 2011 Macbook Air - Dual Core Core i5 with 4 GB RAM and an SSD.

I'd be surprised if an Air didn't suit your needs. Mine gets run a lot harder than casual Photoshop use and I can't remember the last time I had a spinning beach ball. I do have to wait for some things I run to finish but I can continue to work away on other things and the Air stays fully responsive.
    Passenger wrote: »
    The cheapest is the one I recommended. ;)
    Not sure how you worked that out. It's €280 more expensive than the Macbook Air linked in the OP.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Not sure how you worked that out. It's €280 more expensive than the Macbook Air linked in the OP.

And I said if he goes an extra couple hundred euro he could have a superior spec MacBook Pro from the Apple Store. See...
    For professional purposes (Adobe Suite, Final Cut Pro, etc.) I would go for the MacBook Pro tbh. But for that price-range I would go an extra couple hundred euro and get the MacBook Pro from the Apple Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

And I said if he goes an extra couple hundred euro he could have a superior spec MacBook Pro from the Apple Store. See...
    You've contradicted yourself there. The OP asked for the cheapest option, not the best value (in your opinion).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

So just to confirm, this is the best option? I have a €100 voucher for PC World/Currys, so I’m pretty keen to buy from one of those stores?

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/apple-macbook-pro-13-with-retina-display/318394/302
    http://www.techspot.com/products/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-133-inch-retina-mid-2014-mgx92-mgx82-mgx72.105243/#reviewsOffset

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You are not allowed to sell on Boards.ie. You need to put it on adverts to sell it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Posts deleted. Deegs and mynameisoisin, please read the charter, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mynameisoisin

my apologies, desperate times desperate measures

Advertisement