Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TomTom Maps in Ireland

• 31-12-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I recently updated my western european map on my TomTom

I was driving from Dublin to Cork and had the TomTom on . I was testing it out as its a fairly straight motor way now from Dublin to Cork.
    but i noticed when i was on the abbeyleix bypass and had gone throught the toll it kept directing me to turn back and go the old road though abbeyleix.

it was like the new motorway wasnt correct on the map.

Has anyone else noticed that this stretch of road on the tomtom map isnt right .

The Abbeylexi bypass is open a few years now so i wouldnt have expected TomTom to have it fully intgrated into their maps

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hadn't notice that myself.
    What type of route had you selected?
    If you had selected shortest route it may be asking you to turn back to go the shorter distance.
    Try the route again & run the demo test route or eco route.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭guydub

Hi Thanks for the reply
    i normally use fastest route as opposed to shortest.

I suspect the new road must have a gap on it on the map that its not being picked up properly but will try the demo test route

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you find its happening at a particular point send me a screenshot or co ordinates and I'll get a report done up .

i went onto http://www.routes.tomtom.com and typed in Dublin to Cork and it did show the correct route as down the m8 on the new Abbeyleix bypass

I will check on my device at home and send you the map version number i have

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I have the same problem in the opposite direction. I was trying to remember how long it takes to get from Cork to Dublin, as the route doesn't really need a GPS so I plugged in my coordinates into TomTom on the iPhone.

The best route from here is to drive up the M8, no hassles, but TomTom is telling me to get of the M8 just outside of Cahir and basically steers me via Kilkenny and Carlow :pac:

I've tried fastest, eco and shortest, and just for a laugh, avoid motorways. They all pretty much gave me the same route. I think there is something up with the latest update, that there's a large gap somewhere along the M8 and it's trying to route around it.

App ver: 8.3
    Maps ver: W_E v920.5272

• Advertisement

Trying this on a GO600/6000 and I'm getting M8 all the way untill it joins M7 and then onto M50
    Map Europe v920.5244

Interesting, so maybe it's a difference in how the maps are interpreted by the iPhone app vs a physical device. I don't really need to know how to get to Dublin, so this specific issue is not that big a deal, but I wonder if there are other 'gaps' - did I really need to go via Belfast to get from Cork to Limerick???

Do you have mapshare corrections set up on your device?

I was using Western & Central Europe map version 840.2562

That's a relatively old map.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info .
    I have 2 maps on my TomTom . I will delete it and use the other one which I downloaded recently

KoolKid wrote: »
    Do you have mapshare corrections set up on your device?

Yeah, never used it before, but I sent an email to TomTom via it, so maybe something will happen.

corblimey wrote: »
    Yeah, never used it before, but I sent an email to TomTom via it, so maybe something will happen.

No,
    What I was wondering was if you have the device set up to use mapshare corrections which have been made by other users.
    If so change it to not use corrections made by others and see if that changes anything.

KoolKid wrote: »
    No,
    What I was wondering was if you have the device set up to use mapshare corrections which have been made by other users.
    If so change it to not use corrections made by others and see if that changes anything.

Sorry, thought you were talking about using it to "correct" the map myself. Map Share is turned on. However, on looking into my settings a bit more, I discovered that 'avoid toll roads' was turned on. I don't remember doing that, so it may be on by default. Turning it off, and the route reverts to the expected M8 all the way.

The toll avoidance at Fermoy is difficult to decipher on the small map (the R639 follows the M8 very closely) so I hadn't noticed it was doing it there aswell. Not really sure why it tells me to get off at Cahir to avoid the toll at Portlaoise, but perhaps it's the only way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 slireyo

i can't find using gps to exact point.

What device do you have?

Advertisement