Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best place to buy a new macbook?

Options
  • 12-01-2015 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Plan to buy one next week for work, and the store I've visited so far has the €1349 price. Does anyone know if there is anywhere where they do deals and accessories may come cheaper or half price?

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

The price of Apple stuff is pretty fixed across the board - your two best options in Ireland is either online in the Apple store, or Compu B. However, if you have any plans to visit the US any time soon, or have someone over there coming back who can purchase on your behalf, the savings can be quite significant.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭barryj

Check out Apple's refurb store. Usually about 15% off. Always my first port of call. Stock levels vary by the day. But make sure you know which model you are comparing with. It will be listed with original release date. Generally, I'd be aiming for current model or one model back. They sometimes have older stock which may not be such a bargain.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭The lips

Ring Dixon's/currys in the airport.

Book a 9.99 Ryanair flight, go through security with your boarding pass and then simply turn around with your new macbook.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The lips wrote: »
    Ring Dixon's/currys in the airport.

Book a 9.99 Ryanair flight, go through security with your boarding pass and then simply turn around with your new macbook.

And then have a flight delayed looking for the tool that doesn't turn up. What kind of selfish dimwits are we raising in this country.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22 podgeodge

Ryanair waits for no man!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

whiterebel wrote: »
    And then have a flight delayed looking for the tool that doesn't turn up. What kind of selfish dimwits are we raising in this country.....

He's selfish alright, selfish as a fox

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭The lips

Pull your knickers back out!

Just go to customer service and explain you can't travel for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The lips wrote: »
    Pull your knickers back out!

Just go to customer service and explain you can't travel for whatever reason.

Stop giving knobhead advice and I will. Customs will take back anything that you have bought in Duty/tax free zone if you're not flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Even if you're only flying to Kerry?

Zcott wrote: »
    Even if you're only flying to Kerry?

If you're flying to domestic flights you can't buy tax free.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

whiterebel wrote: »
    If you're flying to domestic flights you can't buy tax free.

Dixon in the airport is discounted yes, but tax free? no.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 conorryanofla

Mr.S wrote: »
    Through work would be the obvious choice!

I work for myself!

Dixon in the airport is discounted yes, but tax free? no.

I'm flying to Lanzarote in about 2 weeks, how much do you think I'd be saving by buying it in the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

If you know someone with a student ID, bring a copy - even a photo on your phone and CompuB will give you 6% off retail...
    But if you work for yourself are you tax registered???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

TBH if you're looking for cheap, don't buy a mac.

If you're gonna get a mac I'd avail myself of the extra service I'm paying all that money from which means CompuB if you want bricks or mortar or Apple direct if you can't buy through work/college.

I don't know how the tax etc works but Dixons has an appalling record for CS and I'd avoid them like the plague.

Taltos wrote: »
    If you know someone with a student ID, bring a copy - even a photo on your phone and CompuB will give you 6% off retail...
    But if you work for yourself are you tax registered???

Yes, I'm setting up as a ltd company on Thursday. Have another post about it up

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I don't know how the tax etc works but Dixons has an appalling record for CS and I'd avoid them like the plague.

If you buy a mac though, it's covered by Apple's warranty (and Applecare, should you choose to extend it), so if there's an issue with the machine, you can have the issue taken care of by Apple itself, or an authorised repairer such as CompuB under the warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

mike_ie wrote: »
    If you buy a mac though, it's covered by Apple's warranty (and Applecare, should you choose to extend it), so if there's an issue with the machine, you can have the issue taken care of by Apple itself, or an authorised repairer such as CompuB under the warranty.

Apple's warranty isn't as long as your statutory rights with the retailer. Why would you pay even more money to extend the manufacturers warranty?

• Advertisement
Advertisement