Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is it time for another boundary commission

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 the emperors innuendo

getzls wrote: »
    Northern Ireland has been a country since 1921. A lot longer than many countries in the world.

I wouldnt call it a state, an occupation would be more appropriate considering the ridiculous amounts spent on security every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Northern Ireland has been a country since 1921. A lot longer than many countries in the world.

It's not a country, it's a statelet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry, south Armagh and south Down all have a nationalist majority so should we redraw the border to satisfy peoples wishes?

I think it would mark an important step in the peace process as it would reaffirm
    the claim that Britain has no strategic interest in northern Ireland

It would also rob dissidents of support as it would show that the peace process is working?

I think the fairest way to redraw the boarder would be to incorporate constituencies where nationalists get a majority of the vote into the republic

Can of worms. Leave it another 40-50 years. It'll still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

if scotland votes for independance.....will nothern ireland, be british/ english

or british/scottish........??????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

I wouldnt call it a state, an occupation would be more appropriate considering the ridiculous amounts spent on security every year.
    Do you not wonder why money was spent on security? You know that there was a wee bit of trouble now and again.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

if scotland votes for independance.....will nothern ireland, be british/ english

or british/scottish........??????

How about British / northern Irish

Come on now, not that old rubbish again. It's a country. So a bit of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

The majority of it's citizens wish for the union to remain intact, therefore it's a country. If this weren't the case then it would be an occupation. The GFA which was overwhelmingly supported throughout the island confirms it as a country.

junder wrote: »
    How about British / northern Irish

somehow i don't see that......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭whitelines

It's a region of The UK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

whitelines wrote: »
    I think it might be worth looking at transferring certain strongly Nationalist border areas to The Republic, such as the west bank of The Foyle, Strabane and Newry/South Armagh. Years ago these had plenty of Unionists in them (15 000 lived in the west bank of The Foyle, only about 500 now), but they were driven out or left through fear so the process today would be much easier. Of course, those living in the areas concerned would have to have a vote and The Republic would have to agree. Those not wanting the process could be compensated and perhaps move a few miles back into NI.

It's definitely feasible.
    Plantation, Act of Union, Partition, etc all have failed, is it not time unionists went back to Britain where they might feel really British for a change ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Are we EVER gong to get over this "800 years" mentality in this country?!

Yes the English conquered the country in the last century but back then that was considered acceptable statecraft and they certainly weren't the only ones to subjugate indigenous populations in the pursuit of expanding their empires.

Times change and despite atrocities committed by both sides, dialogue and negotiation has brought a workable peace to the population and yet every few weeks there's still threads like this popping up here.

We have more than enough problems in this country at the moment, both financially and and more importantly, our immature "me first" attitude to politics and citizenship in general. I think we'd be better off getting our own house in order before we start banging the "United Ireland" drum - never mind that there's no evidence to support that's what the people actually want.

I mean, who in their right mind would want to join this corrupt, backward parochial bankrupt little backwater anyway?
    I find it funny the poster castigates people about having a "me first" attitude while he of course has never had to live with the consequences of the orange state that my relatives had to and certainly wouldn't like to either. And when it comes to corruption - never hear of the MP's expences scandal, asking £250,000 for priemership access to the Prime minister ? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17503116

Or bankruptcy, just who was bankrupt in the mid 70's and had to call in the IMF and may again soon ? IMF warns UK may need fiscal stimulus
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/blog

whitelines wrote: »
    I think it might be worth looking at transferring certain strongly Nationalist border areas to The Republic, such as the west bank of The Foyle, Strabane and Newry/South Armagh. Years ago these had plenty of Unionists in them (15 000 lived in the west bank of The Foyle, only about 500 now), but they were driven out or left through fear so the process today would be much easier. Of course, those living in the areas concerned would have to have a vote and The Republic would have to agree. Those not wanting the process could be compensated and perhaps move a few miles back into NI.

It's definitely feasible.
    Plantation, Act of Union, Partition, etc all have failed, is it not time unionists went back to Britain where they might feel really British for a change ??

I feel 'really' British were I am thanks. Moreover how can we 'go back' to somewhere that we are not from. The language of 'go back to where your from' generally is attributed to those of a far right bent. Would you say that to a Pakistani or an Indian or maybe somebody from Africa or is it ok to use that langauge against unionists because we are predominantly white? What about a Indian northern irish unionist where would you tell him to go? See I know this fellow who lives down the shankill who is Indian but married to a northern Irish girl, since your telling us to 'go back to where we come from' you will need to clarify where exactly you mean for this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry, south Armagh and south Down

These places have had nationalist majorities since 1921, why now?
    The GFA which was overwhelmingly supported throughout the island confirms it as a country.

Which paragraph, exactly?
    See I know this fellow who lives down the shankill who is Indian but married to a northern Irish girl, since your telling us to 'go back to where we come from' you will need to clarify where exactly you mean for this guy

Provided that this "fellow" does not want India to rule Belfast, I don't see that there is any need to tell him anything.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Fermanagh, Tyrone, Derry, south Armagh and south Down

These places have had nationalist majorities since 1921, why now?
    The GFA which was overwhelmingly supported throughout the island confirms it as a country.

Which paragraph, exactly?
    See I know this fellow who lives down the shankill who is Indian but married to a northern Irish girl, since your telling us to 'go back to where we come from' you will need to clarify where exactly you mean for this guy

Provided that this "fellow" does not want India to rule Belfast, I don't see that there is any need to tell him anything.

Oh right I get you now, he can stay because he is of Indian descent but the rest of us white unionists have to go "back to Britain" thanks for clearing that up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Ireland is home for nationalists and unionists, it's pretty ludicrous to suggest that anyone should have to leave the place that their families have called home for centuries. The current setup seems to be working quite well.

Oh right I get you now, he can stay because he is of Indian descent but the rest of us white unionists have to go "back to Britain" thanks for clearing that up

you stay where you are.....maybe you own more of ireland than they do........

i think everybody from europe does....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    So the city of Derry will be partitioned too? I don't see how that's feasible, nor am I seeing and demand from the people of the city that it be split in two. Repartition is completely unnecessary and defeats the entire purpose of the Belfast Agreement.

all of derry would join the republic in line with the wishes of the majority

have they not already voted on that matter.......even the irish constitution was changed.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    So the city of Derry will be partitioned too? I don't see how that's feasible, nor am I seeing and demand from the people of the city that it be split in two. Repartition is completely unnecessary and defeats the entire purpose of the Belfast Agreement.

The poster I was responding to suggested that the west bank of the Foyle would go to the Republic, not the whole city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I didn't say that, as you well know.

I welcome people from India, or elsewhere, who wish to come to Ireland and take part in Irish life. I do not welcome people from India, or elsewhere, who come to Ireland with a view to turning it into India.

It isn't rocket science.

I do feel really British. I was born in Northern Ireland. This tired old usual saying, go back to where you came from. Have a think about, if not your surname, people around you. Do you see a lot of British names? Yes you do.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I do feel really British. I was born in Northern Ireland. This tired old usual saying, go back to where you came from. Have a think about, if not your surname, people around you. Do you see a lot of British names? Yes you do.:cool:

A lot of the names are mixed up amongst the different traditions now.

ardmacha wrote: »

I didn't say that, as you well know.

I welcome people from India, or elsewhere, who wish to come to Ireland and take part in Irish life. I do not welcome people from India, or elsewhere, who come to Ireland with a view to turning it into India.

It isn't rocket science.

Guess you missed the point, in post 43 commie tommy posts that unionists should go back to Britain, I merely sought clarity about were this Indian gentlemen should go since he is in fact a unionist but not from Britain which lends the question were should he go

you stay where you are.....maybe you own more of ireland than they do........

i think everybody from europe does....

I don't own any part of Ireland or northern Ireland for that matter since I am a council tenant

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Barely anyone in Mainland Britain wants NI to stay in the UK, 41% are for a United Ireland 21% are Unionists and the rest don't care. These are numbers from 2007 I think and the feeling of anti-Unionism will only have increased since then. IMO the current government should make a push for negotiating over the North like Argentina did with the Falkands, it would give them a huge popularity boost. Obviously people will complain "there's much more important stuff, the economy blah blah blah" but Irish people consistently vote different to their pre election opinions. Everyone seems to hate Sinn Féin, so why are there so many Shinners in government?:rolleyes: I would like to see a United Ireland, but if I do it'll probably be when I'm really old. Too many people work for the British establishment up there to take the whole thing back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭SeanW

Guess you missed the point, in post 43 commie tommy posts that unionists should go back to Britain, I merely sought clarity about were this Indian gentlemen should go since he is in fact a unionist but not from Britain which lends the question were should he go
    If he wants his new homeland to be more like/ruled by his old homeland, then yes, he should go home.

Let me put it another way, if your neighborhood had a lot of Saudis moving in next door and they wanted EVERYONE in it to abstain from alcohol, all women regardless of traditions to wear burkhas and otherwise turn the place into a Saudi exclave in all but name ... I imagine you would tell them to "go home" too. As would I.

I'm not saying Unionists should go back to Britain, nor anything like it, just saying the "go home" mentality is not entirely without merit.

SeanW wrote: »
    If he wants his new homeland to be more like/ruled by his old homeland, then yes, he should go home.

Let me put it another way, if your neighborhood had a lot of Saudis moving in next door and they wanted EVERYONE in it to abstain from alcohol, all women regardless of traditions to wear burkhas and otherwise turn the place into a Saudi exclave in all but name ... I imagine you would tell them to "go home" too. As would I.

I'm not saying Unionists should go back to Britain, nor anything like it, just saying the "go home" mentality is not entirely without merit.

Again a very spurious analogy, since the unionists did not just move in, they are as indigenous as you to this island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Again a very spurious analogy, since the unionists did not just move in, they are as indigenous as you to this island

Plantations?

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »

Plantations?

Unless you going to start DNA testing people then what's your point, plantations, Viking raids, various invasions who actully indigenous and how you going to prove it?

Advertisement