Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RAM Modules Needed

• 16-12-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi,

My Mobo is a Asrock B75 Pro3 and the currently I am using the G.Skill PC3-10667U RAM kit.

I've had terrible undiagnosed BSODs with it and I have a feeling it's one of the sticks, because I had to swap them(2nd & 4th) around to get the PC to post when I initially built it.

tl;dr

I need new ram, but I'm not sure if this recommended list is worth following, my original RAM isn't on it, am I likely to have similar unpredictable issues if I don't pick something off the list?.

I've looked through the list and can't find any of what I need on sale on HWV or Amazon.co.uk

I'm currently looking at these, but they are not on the list:
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9

Any recommendations/advice from the experts here would be greatly appreciated as I'm putting an order for new RAM and a GPU tonight.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭game4it70

Did you try running memtest on the ram to confirm its your problem?
    Would be a waste to buy new if not the cause.

The ram you linked will be fine provided the mobo isn't the cause of the faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SOLID_SNAKE!

game4it70 wrote: »
    Did you try running memtest on the ram to confirm its your problem?
    Would be a waste to buy new if not the cause.

The ram you linked will be fine provided the mobo isn't the cause of the faults.

I've never had the chance, I even went to the Asrock forum with my specific DIMM model, I've usually been very busy with course work, video editing or other programming so I've never had a weekend to run extensive tests and not needed the PC.

Is the new RAM I linked an ok brand?, other than not being on the list, I can't see any difference besides it being a higher clock speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭game4it70

I've gskill in all 3 of the pc's in the house and find it very good.Never any issues and it overclocks well to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The Ballistix RAM should be fine. I'd consider ordering off someone else, Amazon maybe. VerSand have a flat shipping rate which may push the price up a bit more than other suppliers.

Quickest, cheapest test you can do it to pull one of your DIMMs out, visually inspect it for scorch marks and see if the computer runs fine without it. If so, swap it for the other and inspect that. If the problem persists through the swap it's less likely to be your RAM causing the issue. Otherwise you'll have found the problematic DIMM.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SOLID_SNAKE!

The Ballistix RAM should be fine. I'd consider ordering off someone else, Amazon maybe. VerSand have a flat shipping rate which may push the price up a bit more than other suppliers.

Quickest, cheapest test you can do it to pull one of your DIMMs out, visually inspect it for scorch marks and see if the computer runs fine without it. If so, swap it for the other and inspect that. If the problem persists through the swap it's less likely to be your RAM causing the issue. Otherwise you'll have found the problematic DIMM.

Thanks for the tips, Genghiz, I've hadn't heard to look for scorch marks on the pins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement